All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members

Terrifier 2.  A good 45 minutes too long, which spoilt a good old fashioned balls to the wall gore flick.  The guy who played Art was excellent though.  Reminded me a little of Toolbox Murders 2 (Coffin Baby) the way it dipped in and out of reality.

• Paid Members

Thought Barbarian was a lot of fun. Needs a couple of really idiotic character decisions to kickstart it and the ending's not very good but very tense and well acted and the structure was the most impressive thing about it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Thought Barbarian was a lot of fun. Needs a couple of really idiotic character decisions to kickstart it and the ending's not very good but very tense and well acted and the structure was the most impressive thing about it.

Really fun horror film. 

just on the idiotic decisions, was listening to a podcast about it yesterday and apparently it started of as a short with the Writer seeing how many Red flags he could put in a single conversation for the main character to ignore. 

• Paid Members

Watched Midsommar a few days ago. Enjoyed it - feels like a well-crafted film, goes for the uncanny quite well, and they certainly make a good fist of doing for Scandi hygge what Jaws does for beach holidays. Can't be bothered with that whole "elevated horror" thing - from what I can see, it's a good, unsettling, arthousey horror, drawing on the kind of remnant fears of paganism that The Wicker Man and similar films drew on.

I thought it was a bit of a stinker to be honest. Heard great things about it and left underwhelmed by it. 

F Murray Abraham was the lead in the last Cabinet Of Curiosities I watched so I was always going to enjoy it, the other main was Glynn Turman who is always great to see. Felt it was the strongest one yet. Really enjoying the series. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought it was a bit of a stinker to be honest. Heard great things about it and left underwhelmed by it. 

I can see why it would disappoint in comparison to all the hype it got. If there's any particular criticism I had of it, it's

Spoiler

that the American characters (barring Florence Pugh's) were all a bit "obvious archetype". The douchebaggy "bro", the overly-studious black guy, and the gaslighting arsehole boyfriend.

Other than that, though, it moved at a fairly slow pace that made the escalations unsettling, partly because of how insidious they were as well.

Edited by Carbomb

Having loved Barbarian last week I might search out a watchable stream of People Under the Stairs. Easily one of my most anticipated films to watch when I was a kid because it was literally the only thing my mum had ever said no to me watching. Always loved it, hope it holds up.

• Paid Members
On 10/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Hopefully the sold out Blu-ray will convince the higher ups that a UK cinema release is needed. 

It's getting an extremely limited theatrical release - Flicks.co.uk are saying it's showing at the Prince Charles this week and the Mockingbird in Birmingham in a few weeks.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• 2 weeks later...

Took my eldest to see Smile last night. Fucking hell. It's jump-scare city but I really enjoyed it and the ending is genuinely unsettling. I needed to explain the entire ending to my daughter afterwards as she was so freaked out she spent the whole scene with her coat over her face.

The Megan trailer was on before the film. The bit where she starts dancing is even more ridiculous on a big screen.

Edited by cobra_gordo