All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Just ordered the Tomie Complete Delux Edition by Jinjo Ito

Still have my Masters of Terror paperbacks but will be nice to have series in hardback, sitting alongside Uzumaki. 

I love the sheer weirdness of the Junji Ito books, my friend Charlie collects them so she’s lent me them in the past to read. Spiral is the most gripping tale I’ve read by far

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think Stephen King's IT is great and I rewatched IT (2017), IT chapter 2 then IT the 1990 miniseries as well as a 2021 documentary I hadn't seen before about the making of the miniseries called Pennywise the story of IT. 

Watching both modern movies one after the other clocked in at over 5 hours and I got really into them, it was probably the most I've ever enjoyed them. I remember thinking part 1 was a bit better than part 2 when i first saw them but this time I was really feeling both parts as a complete story.

Considering the miniseries was made 30 years earlier, for a budget 10 times smaller than the films and with the limitations of what they could show on TV, it's remarkable how similar both adaptations are. 

As well as both adaptations doing a great job of getting the epic story and all the characters' personalities and stories across thanks to their bumper runtimes, the highlights of both are the Pennywise and child actor performances. Bill Skarsgard and Tim Curry are both iconic as Pennywise and different enough in their look and delivery for both to be worthwhile. When I was watching the modern ones I was thinking it's probably one of the best groups of kids ever in a film and their connection as kids and adults was really convincing. I was then impressed to be reminded that the 1990 kids were also fantastic despite having slightly less time to get everything across. Jonathan Brandis was especially good, so sad what happened with him, he was a really talented kid.

The documentary is great, it's over 2 hours long and really in depth featuring nearly everyone involved with the series (including Tim Curry). There was tons of interesting behind the scenes footage and stories about the making of, including the reveal that the spider monster was actually an incredible prop in real life, it's a shame they couldn't quite get that across onscreen.

I might listen to audiobook next, it's 44 hours long!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I liked the miniseries but hated the first proper film and never bothered with the next two. Great casts though.

You'd probably hate part 2 if you didn't like the first one. I'd definitely reccomend the documentary if you liked the 1990 one though.

• 4 weeks later...

A really intriguing poster campaign for the upcoming Longlegs. Was already intrigued due to it starring Nicolas Cage and Maika Monroe, but am more so now. 

Hope they don't fuck it with the typical trailer that reveals the entire plot...

Edited by SaitoRyo

• Paid Members

Maika Monroe is awesome, I love that she keeps choosing these low budget thrillers and horror films. Her being in something is almost certainly an indicator it will be good to great.

Watched Eli Roths 'Thanksgiving' the other night. Saw lots of reviews that it wasn't even 'good campy horror', but I thought it was a hoot. 

It was a bit formulaic, but not every film has to he as deep as the ocean and a psychological battle. 

Plus with horror, and most things, it's all opinions and how one views it compared to another. I thought 'The Dark and the Wicked' was another cracker, but lots just didn't get the bleak sense of dread and found it slow and boring. Horses for courses. 

• Paid Members

I'm not gonna watch that trailer but Neon's marketing of it has been outstanding.

Oz Perkins can be hit and miss but I'm very excited for this.