The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I laughed, I cried, I cheered like crazy when Erick appeared. It was a wonderful 2 hours dedicated to someone who was so beloved by his peers. 

Best moments were the Redbeard appearance and Excalibur frantically trying to correct Jericho everytime he said Rowan, the Evil Uno booting Kingston when Remsburg was checking Eddie's boot spot, - 1 hitting MJF with the kendo stick, Eddie Kingston's speech to camera (the line "if you remember his teachings, He's never gone" got me), Jake hitting the clothesline and the music video at the end. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Yep. He looked humongous even next to Wardlow. I never rated him in WWE but after seeing him here I'd have no problem with them bringing him in for a run as the big guy everyone else can bounce off.

It's weird how big some guys seem in AEW. Because WWE's low bar for size was still pretty big, and their high bar was absolute monsters, it was easy to miss just how big some of the roster were. Having such a high bar made the general size seem less impressive - so with people like Billy Gunn or Eric Rowan, it's a jolt to see them against more regular-sized people. Gives it much more variety.

• Paid Members

Even on a mostly non-canon show I thought Darby got the rub of the century coming out with Sting. I think someone has already mentioned it but it’s gonna be cool as fuck when Darby comes out in Sting makeup or vice versa.

I read somewhere that Sting had agreed to do some cinematic matches for AEW. I can’t wait for Sting and Darby fighting Team Taz on top of a snowy mountain.

• Paid Members

It was tough to watch. I gained a lot of respect for everybody involved. Going out and performing when they were so visibly upset must've been so fucking hard. It wasn't too noticeable but John Silver actually missed the start of Cabana's entrance.

I popped huge for Rowan, the inclusion of all the WWE guys in the video package and everything involving Brodie Jr. Kingston managing to be respectful and still be a heel was impressive as well.

I agree that the Dark Order need a big babyface run. They were basically there anyway but I simply can't see them being heels after this. What can they do to make me dislike Ten, for example, after the image of him comforting Brodie's wife? It's just not happening.

1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Even on a mostly non-canon show I thought Darby got the rub of the century coming out with Sting. I think someone has already mentioned it but it’s gonna be cool as fuck when Darby comes out in Sting makeup or vice versa.

I read somewhere that Sting had agreed to do some cinematic matches for AEW. I can’t wait for Sting and Darby fighting Team Taz on top of a snowy mountain.

Agreed. The two looked great together. Massive rub for Darby.

I loved that Ricky Starks sold the snow too.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

Just seen that Tony Schiavone said on the post show that they’re getting a new TNT belt as the one they gave Brodie Jr is being retired. Brodie had said on Unrestricted I think that his son slept with that belt every night when he was home. So that’s why they gave him the real belt and not a replica at the end. So he could truly be TNT champion for life. 

This is another classy move from AEW. Everything that they have done since the terrible news broke has really shown how switched on and connected to their staff and fans they are.

It's also a good reason to make the TNT belt in line with the other brand belts. The red strap takes away from the prestige a wee bit in my opinion.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

It's also a good reason to make the TNT belt in line with the other brand belts. The red strap takes away from the prestige a wee bit in my opinion.

I agree on the red strap, I'm not a huge fan. I presume it was a nod to the old NWA TV belt having a red leather backing, which while nice doesn't feel like enough reason to do it necessarily. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Way to spoil the positive mood, dude.

I'm willing to give AEW the benefit of the doubt when their two biggest cinematic matches this year, Stadium Stampede and the Parking Lot Brawl, were both complete home runs and genuine match of the year candidates.

Finding the quote though, I'm now annoyed to discover he was actually trying to get The Undertaker match made! Fuck's sake. Sting vs. Taker in the Boneyard would've been infinitely better than whatever the fuck that was at Survivor Series.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-sting-pitched-undertaker-cinematic-match-aew-cinematic-match/

It had previously been reported that AEW intends to have Sting wrestle, and in a new interview on AEW Unrestricted the former WCW star confirmed Tony Khan pitched for him to work cinematic matches. He also said he tried to make a cinematic match with Undertaker happen before "The Deadman" retired.

"I was pushing to get a cinema-style match with Undertaker," Sting said regarding his final months in WWE (h/t Fightful). "For probably a litany of reasons, it just wasn't going to happen. When Tony called and spoke with me, he said, 'Are you interested in doing cinema-style matches?' I said, 'Yeah, I am.' I'd like to come back and do that and not disappear with my tail between my legs. I don't have to go out on top, I'd like to go out in a positive light."

Still, Team Taz getting battered all over Planet Hoth works for me.

Edited by Supremo

6 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I agree on the red strap, I'm not a huge fan. I presume it was a nod to the old NWA TV belt having a red leather backing, which while nice doesn't feel like enough reason to do it necessarily. 

It'll have a purple strap probably, since they mentioned incorporating something in the design as a tribute to him.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I didn't know about the nod to the NWA TV title but for me it's a link to the past that would be lost on a majority of viewers.

I'm looking forward to the new design as the World Heavyweight Championship and Tag Team Championship titles are beautiful. 

Another thought I had which is perhaps over-egging the feel good factor a bit is to have a "Brodie Lee Invitational" incorporated into their PPV schedule. I have it in my mind that it could be along the lines of 1) The Andre Battle Royal or 2) King of the Ring. Option 2 could be a knockout/bracketed tournament for lesser known stars from Dark or complete newbies to win a contract onto the main show. I appreciate that I'm just waffling now but I've had a few ideas on how they could maintain Brodie Lee's name/legacy whilst also being good for business. 

One little tidbit that I think has been missed on here is that Tony Khan has bought the rights to 'Ol' 55' by Tom Waits, in perpetuity so that the tribute video will remain untouched.

You get the impression that Khan is genuinely grateful to guys like Brody because they aren't just taking a bet on themselves, going to AEW, they're taking a bet on him as well. 

I watched that whole show with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Great stuff, any misgivings I may have had are trivial enough to ignore in the context of this show.