The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Another 'off' episode for me this week. Some good bits, but mainly misses. 

Jericho looked great stood on the ramp with the wind blowing his hair.

the MJF bit with Santana and Ortiz was rather odd, I got the impression that MJF was making the story up, but then there wasn't any hint of this. Inner Circle are still great, they have actually made the artist formally known as Swagger interesting and I'm hoping this match with Wardlow is where they get on the same page.

The Sting segment was pretty much the same thing as last week. Same soundbites but including rambling about a jungle. Cage looked like a chump as well, saying he wanted to go and then just walking off when the others said no.

QT Marshall is terrible. Standing around waiting for things to happen when he has run in to clear house. Stu Grayson is brilliant though and we don't see enough of him.

The Shida / Abadon feud is similar to a Fiend fued. It's just not for me. I like Shida, she deserves to be booked as a champion, something that hasn't happened since she won the title.

I never thought I would enjoy a Shawn Spears promo, but that was great. Schiavone was all over this show though, as much as I like Big Tone, it needs calming down a little.

The sooner this wedding stuff has done, I'm really hoping we see Miro actually do something worthwhile. 

I've always had an irrational dislike of The Young Bucks that I couldn't quite put my finger on why, but I'm really enjoying them at the moment. They look and act like stars. 

No Hangman, boooooooo.

Edited by Nick James

@Nick James re the MJF bit, Santana lost his dad last year and his step-dad very recently. I assume the genuine moment from MJF is him acting the prick and planting seeds in PNP's head, especially with Santana being kinda cool with him joining anyway and Ortiz veering still to Sammy Guevera being certain MJF is a snake in the grass. Helps make Sammy's case look worse and him eventually getting the boot, plus now you have the Hagar/Wardlow match next week where if Wardlow wins MJF is gonna maybe a make a case that Hagar isn't all that, or he'll 'boast' about his guy beating Jericho's.

• Paid Members

Hated the MJF thing. Fuck off bringing real deaths of actual human beings into your story lines. Low-rent carny shit. People rightly rag on WWE when they do it, so AEW should get the exact same criticism.

Wrestlers are the weirdest people in the world.

"This MJF/Inner Circle thing is going good, everyone loved the comedy stuff in Vegas, what shall we do next?"

"Trivialise my dad's death?"

"Fucking genius."

• Paid Members

It was a decent looking card on paper but some cracks are starting to show pretty rapidly. Getting Sting out every week to say nothing worth hearing, Abadon biting a chunk out of Shida with all the gushing fake blood, real life family deaths, Miro and Kip. There's some really weak shit this week and it's worrying that they won't iron it out.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it but it definitely feels like most of the main stories aren't developing or going anywhere. And there's some stuff that just is confusing.

Kip/Miro/Penelope angle is fucking dead and it's going to drag on to at least February. Kip had found a really great role as Penelope's preening annoying boyfriend. He's terrible in this Miro angle.

Why are they doing a DO recruitment angle with Dustin at the same time as Hangman. And why use it to put over Lee Johnson...whoever the hell he is. The Hangman/DO story should be part of every episode and moving forward on TV instead of putting all their good stuff in BTE. And how is QT Marshall training wrestlers? He's fucking useless. 

Omega and Don's promo was absolutely excellent. What an act these two are.

Jade Cargill is terrible and this angle needs to be flushed down the toilet along with MJF being super serious about real life dead relatives. 

I thought all the matches were really good this week. Pac got a fun match out of Butcher and Uno/Dustin was a perfect TV match. 

Next week is stacked. I really wish they would sit down and decide what their top angles/goals are and focus on them and decided how they will develop each week instead of treading water on their main stories and adding loads of additional shit.

Guess I'm on an island in not minding the MJF/Santana/Ortiz bit then lol. In a world where MJF is a prick he came across as sincere. Wouldn't be surprised to see PnP side with Maxwell come split time. Hager saying Wardlow isn't pulling his weight while away because of family reasons made him come across as a dick. Interested in seeing this story unfold. 

They are really taking their time with Sting declaring his reasons for coming in. Don't mind it personally but do the audience in 2020?

The amount of horror movie clichés in this Shida/Abadon feud is funny I do love Abadon though. Feels way more scary than The Fiend

At this rate Shawn Spears is going to end up with more gimmicks than Ed Leslie. 

Guess we have a date for when Miro turns on Sabian

The Young Bucks are just awesome in the ring. Got great matches out of two young teams in a month span.

Edited by Tsurutagun

Sting in AEW would/will work better when they can tour different cities and hes an attraction but appearing weekly with little to do and probably same fans at each taping atm, he's gonna feel less special.

Nothing show overall but not always a bad thing, that's what makes specials like "winter is coming" etc special, if everything is super duper special then nothing is or stands out.

No Cody, KO, Page made it seem like Dark.

Wouldn't be shocked if Spears fucks off to Impact for a spell.

I'm actually enjoying the Shida/Abadon stuff now and I'm all for Abadon taking the title, though I'm fairly certain Shida is going over. 

The rap video from The Acclaimed was great in it's dated shitness. Also it might just be me but I'm getting some New Age Outlaws vides from them.

Butcher is ace. 

• Paid Members

I love Butcher and Blade because they can lose all the time but because they look tough and wrestle like tough guys it never feels like they're jobbers and a win over them still means something. Very useful to have an act like the roster. 

Seen so many fantastic complaints about The Acclaimed about their material, but more because of how apparently poor Castor is as a rapper and how cheap the video looked.

That's how it's meant to be isn't it. Heels with dis gimmicks who are crap or average at something they think they're good at? If he was good, they'd all start turning him. Or am I just out of the loop and fans complain about a lot more now?

Personally I don't reckon the Acclaimed are ready for full weekly TV yet, but its the dead TV period so you might as well get some eyes on new stars and rotate them out and back in at another point and also not waste a bigger match on a slot that got pegged by real sports.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

See, I've never got that The Acclaimed are meant to be shit rappers, I just get that they are try hards who are actually shit at rapping. The whole gimmick from my perspective is they insult their opponents with their barbs. I think with AEW, they put so much depth into things, it's easy to think everything is meant to be the way it is, but unless I've missed something, I don't think they're presented that way.

Not an issue really though and nothing offensive (other than the line last week about The Bucks being like Girls on their time of the month), but they definitely aren't main event worthy just yet.