The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Strange to call it enjoyable I know but I had a smile on my face during a lot of it. Just to see the love and respect that they all had for him. It's like when I've been reading all the stories on Twitter from everyone too. An absolute tragedy but what a guy.

I know it's been said before but it really does make you think more about the people behind these characters. That often gets lost along the way.

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Strange to call it enjoyable I know but I had a smile on my face during a lot of it. Just to see the love and respect that they all had for him. It's like when I've been reading all the stories on Twitter from everyone too. An absolute tragedy but what a guy.

I know it's been said before but it really does make you think more about the people behind these characters. That often gets lost along the way.

I don’t think it is at all. They billed it as a celebration of his life and that’s exactly what it was. It was emotional for sure, but the tone throughout felt so positive and actually, in spite of what has happened, strangely uplifting.

A lot of the show seemed to be designed around making sure Brodie jr had a good time, and that was just lovely to see.

Tribute shows are often, understandably, outpourings of grief and you rarely leave them feeling anything other than upset. But the way this was put together...it was very different. It left you appreciating Brodie, his achievements and, as corny as this will sound, life itself.

11 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don’t think it is at all. They billed it as a celebration of his life and that’s exactly what it was. It was emotional for sure, but the tone throughout felt so positive and actually, in spite of what has happened, strangely uplifting.

A lot of the show seemed to be designed around making sure Brodie jr had a good time, and that was just lovely to see.

Tribute shows are often, understandably, outpourings of grief and you rarely leave them feeling anything other than upset. But the way this was put together...it was very different. It left you appreciating Brodie, his achievements and, as corny as this will sound, life itself.

Yeah you're right. I guess the more I think about it, the more it's how we often approach death with wakes after funerals for example. Sharing stories, remembering the good times and often managing to laugh despite everything. It's just the human condition really. It's those moments where you really do feel like even though they're gone in some ways, they'll always be around in others.

It felt really cathartic for everyone involved in the show. Whole thing felt pushed towards an audience of one...well -1, and seeing his smile when mask was off was superb in what must be the worst week of his young life. I was laughing, bubbling and smiling on repeat 

watched the post show with Tony S and a number of guests, really does say something about the love they all had for Brodie for everyone that knew not to make this public knowledge. Really unheard of in wrestling 

• Paid Members

Well I'm not usually big on emotions but I have to say that last night's show was the epitome of all that is good in the world.

It was beautifully put together. I can't say anything that's not already been said. I had tears in my eyes throughout and I couldn't help but think just how sensitive, mature and natural the whole show was. The company really stood head and shoulders above the rest tonight. It wasn't tacky or insincere or cheap the way wrestling tends to be in these situations. 

The video package is right up there with the best of them. WWE, for all its faults, has always been excellent at the hype packages it shows before matches to put them in context. The song was perfect. It really hit home just how much of an incredible person John Huber was and just how many great matches he's been involved in. Absolutely loved it and I'm really pleased they all to a man went out of their way to make Huber's family feel loved. It was very respectful and that kind of support must make the loss (although absolutely tragic) that little bit more manageable to deal with. 

Now is probably not the time to mention it but when they all came out onto the stage I couldn't help but notice that Cody Rhodes was front and center of the group. Probably completely innocent but it would be nice if he took just one day off from trying to get himself over. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the show all the same. It feels strange saying it but by the time we get to the UKFF Awards next year this will be contender for show of the year. As bad as the last 12 months have been for everyone, wrestling has been in a particularly dark place with the #MeToo movement. It's also lost a number of its alumni - Howard Finkel, Shad Gaspard, Rocky Johnson, Hana Kimura, Pat Patterson etc. This show was a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 

RIP John Huber. God bless x

2 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the show all the same. It feels strange saying it but by the time we get to the UKFF Awards next year this will be contender for show of the year.

Unless there’s some cut-off point I’m unaware off, wouldn’t it be a contender for this year’s awards? It’s still 2020. 

I do agree that it’s a late show-of-the-year contender though, certainly I’ve amended my nominations to reflect that. It was, perhaps unexpectedly, a very uplifting way to end the year. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Unless there’s some cut-off point I’m unaware off, wouldn’t it be a contender for this year’s awards? It’s still 2020. 

I do agree that it’s a late show-of-the-year contender though, certainly I’ve amended my nominations to reflect that. It was, perhaps unexpectedly, a very uplifting way to end the year. 

That's a very good point! I forgot the cut off is January so I'll get my nominations amended accordingly. 

• Paid Members

First thing I did was amend my nominations for best show of the year to include last night.

A beautiful tribute, that's one of the best things I've ever seen any company put together. Absolutely lovely.

Pitched perfectly, it genuinely felt like a celebration. Great, fun basic wrestling, touching, heartfelt moments all night, and every single time they made reference or included that little boy had me either grinning from ear to ear or balling in tears.

All the credit in the world. Everyone involved in this show is a class act who should be immensely proud.

• Paid Members

I watched the opening live and thought I can’t watch this right now so waited until this morning.

I don’t think a tribute show has ever been done so perfectly. The matches were great, the talking head tributes scattered were lovely. The sadness was evident throughout (Miro on stage at the 10 bell salute got me). The final segment was a wonderful tribute. Call him a money mark or whatever you want, but Tony Khan is doing everything right with the company in my eyes. A class act.

On a side note, and to echo @Supremo last week, Fite TV is definitely the way to watch. You missed Jericho bugging up Nando’s on commentary and lamenting the lack of a Nando’s Black Card. 

• Paid Members

A wonderful tribute show that I wish we all never had to see. I was going alright until that video package at the end. Brodie Jr hitting MJF and Lance Archer in general were the highlights besides all the tributes. Poor Bryce looked so heartbroken out there in the two matches he reffed and was seemingly just about holding it together. 

It was nice that Erick Rowan got to be there and pay tribute to his tag partner of many years. It was a great thing for the company to do. If there was a full arena, that would’ve been the biggest pop of his career. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Louch said:

On a side note, the fucking enormity of Erik Rowan compared to everyone he shared a moment with. Made everyone look tiny 

Yep. He looked humongous even next to Wardlow. I never rated him in WWE but after seeing him here I'd have no problem with them bringing him in for a run as the big guy everyone else can bounce off.

Dark Order have to go on a huge babyface run now too, surely? I'd be all in on John Silver getting a title shot against Kenny Omega.

• Paid Members

Just seen that Tony Schiavone said on the post show that they’re getting a new TNT belt as the one they gave Brodie Jr is being retired. Brodie had said on Unrestricted I think that his son slept with that belt every night when he was home. So that’s why they gave him the real belt and not a replica at the end. So he could truly be TNT champion for life.