All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Bollocks to that. She's a corrupt sycophant, given a position of authority over things she demonstrably knows nothing about. The placement of an apostrophe in a Tweet is fuck all compared to anything else worth criticising her about, and so long as meaning and intent is conveyed, whether everything is spelled correctly or grammatically correct is irrelevant at best and exclusionary at worst - would you exclude good progressive politicians on the grounds that their grammar was a bit off? 

Take a look at the online jobs market, in paritcular admin jobs. You'll find a reasonable standard of English is pretty much the bare minimum to be considered for many jobs, that's before you even get to things like telephone manner or knowledge of Microsoft products.

If you're suggesting my voting choices are based on grammar then you're mistaken. I have the misfortune to live (or in the future potentially so due to bondaries being redrawn) in a marginal seat so my vote goes to Labour without any consideration based on the suitability of any of the candidates. That said, I remember getting a local election leaflet for a potential Tory candidate that had over 20 spelling and grammatrical errors in, starting with the hilarious "Since been elected" as the opening of the first sentence.

Once again, I'm not criticising Dorris per se. I'm making the broader point that people running the country aren't capable of communicating using a level of English that would get you a minimum wage jon as an administator.

27 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Take a look at the online jobs market, in paritcular admin jobs. You'll find a reasonable standard of English is pretty much the bare minimum to be considered for many jobs, that's before you even get to things like telephone manner or knowledge of Microsoft products.

If you're suggesting my voting choices are based on grammar then you're mistaken. I have the misfortune to live (or in the future potentially so due to bondaries being redrawn) in a marginal seat so my vote goes to Labour without any consideration based on the suitability of any of the candidates. That said, I remember getting a local election leaflet for a potential Tory candidate that had over 20 spelling and grammatrical errors in, starting with the hilarious "Since been elected" as the opening of the first sentence.

Once again, I'm not criticising Dorris per se. I'm making the broader point that people running the country aren't capable of communicating using a level of English that would get you a minimum wage jon as an administator.

Oh, mate... people in glass houses and all that. "It's" isn't always a contraction of "it is" by the way. What's it short for in the phrase "it's still got plenty left in the tank" for instance?

Besides, possession or otherwise of qualifications or traits which are required for most jobs are not a measure of someone's dignity. The only qualification for being an MP is to get voted in, and rightly so (although Culture Secretary probably was on overpromotion for the lawmaker in question here).

Punctuation aside though, yes Dorries has hardly covered herself in glory this past week. But the whole melodrama over whether she gets a peerage and when she's actually gonna step down and what Johnson promised her is just a distraction from the wider Conservative civil war from which we're all suffering, as well as the increasingly cruel and extreme policies the whole party still seems to be getting behind. 

At least if this blue-on-blue action were happening after a Tory election loss it'd be a bit funnier for the rest of us. Then again, without a functioning opposition who knows what a government of another stripe would try to get away with. 

• Paid Members

Talk about a cunt of personality. 

Also that Dorries tweet was probably autocorrect. She's still horrible though? A scouse Tory? Vile. 

• Paid Members

Interesting piece on why what Johnson was done for is so serious: https://theconversation.com/boris-johnson-qanda-why-report-into-misleading-parliament-still-matters-even-after-he-resigned-as-an-mp-207751

tl;dr: It's called the Privileges committee because Parliamentary privilege is so powerful. You can say what you like in Parliament and you can't get done for libel or contempt, making it the one place in the UK that has completely free speech (*). It's so fundamental to Parliament working properly that the counterweight is that the one thing you can't do as a minister is lie because that completely undermines and abuses that freedom.

(* - Parliament has its own rule that the one thing you can't say is that another member is lying. That sounds unfair but the idea is that lying is so serious the system has to assume nobody does it, and that accusing somebody of doing it is the most serious claim imaginable.)

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Very curious. 

The other possibility is that the Eye have nothing on her.  They’re not shy about super injunctions - they usually put an article which doesn’t name the person, and then right underneath a different story about that same  person.

She’s not Johnson’s kid, not by his first wife anyway as I’ve read suggested.  

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

The other possibility is that the Eye have nothing on her.

It also highlights the corrupting stench that lingers on everything he touches.  It's possible that she was given the nod purely on account of an outstanding performance in her professional capacity but the suspicion and whispers will follow her forever because of who nominated her.