All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

Blair had a lot of faults. War mongering being the main one. I’d take his Government over the shit show we have now though.

Blair is also a very intelligent man and realises what a disaster Brexit is likely to be and isn’t afraid to say so. Hell, I even find myself agreeing with the likes of John Major, Michael Hesseltine and Ken Clarke over their stance on Brexit.

2 hours ago, LCJ said:

Blair had a lot of faults. War mongering being the main one. I’d take his Government over the shit show we have now though.

Yeah, I bet the Iraqi people who had to live through his decisions would disagree with you.

In a way, what's going on now is more fair. The current situation with Brexit and the Government is due to the actual voting patterns of the British people. The poor sods in faraway places who had to deal with the decisions made by Blair and his friends had no say at all.

All of that aside, and in all seriousness, I wouldn't trade our current lot for the war-mongering cunts of the Blair era. I'd rather we faced some economic turmoil of our own doing than the shitshow that the Iraqi people had to put up with back then, through no fault of their own.

I didn’t support the war in Iraq. And the people in power now would’ve done the same thing as Blair by the way. Tories have a habit of going to war at the drop of a hat.

I’m looking at things from our perspective and things that affect our country. And a right wing populist Government who’ve aided the increase of racism and economic uncertainty can go to Hell. Fuck Bojo the Clown and fuck the Conservative Party. I just wish Labour would sort themselves out.

Yeah, but that era is generally remembered as a period where things were "okay" here, which is why a lot of people look back on those days with affection to a certain degree.

Those people don't think about the effect that the Government then had on the people of Iraq, simply because it didn't really affect them. My point is that the issues we have with Brexit and the Conservative Government are primarily of our own doing. Democracy is a right kick in the nuts sometimes, but we have to roll with the punches, unfortunately.

Those who were affected by our Government in Iraq didn't have the choice of voting though. I reckon they'd take some economic uncertainty over being blasted to fuck by bombs dropped by an invading force.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I don’t want to derail the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations on books on the Blair era (how he came to power, why, what happened etc). Doesn’t have to be that in depth, in fact the opposite would be better for me. Cheers.

Servants of the People and The End of the Party by Andrew Rawnsley are excellent reads, though the go in hard on Gordon Brown, maybe deservedly. 

That’s war in general though. Innocent people get killed and it’s wrong.

The state of the country isn’t all “our own doing either”. Only the selfish people who voted Conservative.

28 minutes ago, LCJ said:

The state of the country isn’t all “our own doing either”. Only the selfish people who voted Conservative.

It's a result of the democratic process though, isn't it? It's not as though we had our government foisted upon us by an invading force. As a collective we voted for Brexit as well.

8 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

It's either a case of this lot being an absolute shower that people look back to Blair as some great leader by comparison, or they remember back to the 90s/00s with hazy nostalgia when life was less shit. Either or, I've seen quite a bit of "Get Tony Back", which is terrifying considering how completely untrustworthy and awful he proved to be as a leader. As discussed, he's no a complete egocentric upper crust tosser that was cosplay "for the people".

I'd say regardless of anything else, he should go into the history books in the positive column for

- forgiveness of 3rd world debt

- minimum wage

- Good Friday agreement

I don't care what people's backgrounds are really, or how egocentric they are.  Had Blair not gone to war with Iraq he'd be seen eventually as a transformative PM.  As @Pier Six Brawler rightly points out, being all noble and left wing is fucking useless if you're always on the opposition benches.  Progress is made in leaps and starts forwards whenever you get a sniff of power.  Blair and Brown understood that and managed to ram through some important stuff in between the usual political short termism and infighting.

• Paid Members

Some good, sure, but I refuse to pretend Blair is some idealistic "better than" when you focus on how toxic he became. Blair is a great campaigner, sure, but "we'll do better with that" ain't it. He showed himself to be a terrible liar, so why would you bother?

Edited by ColinBollocks

No matter what idiocy followed, Blair is rightly credited with helping to bring peace to the island of Ireland, along with Bertie Ahern, Bill Clinton, Mo Mowlam, John Hume & David Trimble. Absolutely terrifying just how much that enormous feat has been trampled upon over the last 2 years by the Tories.

21 hours ago, David said:

Yeah, I bet the Iraqi people who had to live through his decisions would disagree with you.

In a way, what's going on now is more fair. The current situation with Brexit and the Government is due to the actual voting patterns of the British people. The poor sods in faraway places who had to deal with the decisions made by Blair and his friends had no say at all.

All of that aside, and in all seriousness, I wouldn't trade our current lot for the war-mongering cunts of the Blair era. I'd rather we faced some economic turmoil of our own doing than the shitshow that the Iraqi people had to put up with back then, through no fault of their own.

What, all of them? The same Iraqi people who were murdered in their hundreds of thousands by a genocidal, fascist regime who they didn't choose? How about the other poor sods in countries who Hussein slew? Of course it was all rainbows and lollipops in Iraq before Blair made the hot tag to Bush and became a war-mongering liar and The Most Evil Man Ever who made life in Britain an intolerable misery for his hoodwinked citizens.