AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

2 hours ago, lars85 said:

Who throws a shoe? Honestly.

Two boys at the school I work at had a fight recently and one took his shoe off to throw at the other. 

Someone else then got involved and stole the shoe and hid it. The boy who threw it is still trying to find it. 

29 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Two boys at the school I work at had a fight recently and one took his shoe off to throw at the other. 

Someone else then got involved and stole the shoe and hid it. The boy who threw it is still trying to find it. 

And with that, a 24/7 title was born.

• Paid Members

Going to catch this tomorrow morning as despite being excited about AEW, this card looks fairly weak outside of the Moxley match as Cody needs a big fight feel and the flippy lads in the 6 man don't excite me at all. 

12.30am UK Time start.

I don't understand the Fyter Fest theme. Feels like something the Young Bucks thought was a cool idea when the docs came out, but now it just seems weird.

Still, excited for this show. Genuinely think Ambrose/Janela could be fucking crazy. I hadn't heard of Janela before this week, but looking at some of his highlights... Christ.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Looks like the FiteTV stream includes the preshow. It says it starts in 15 minutes.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the live discussion, I'm only doing it because I'm off to bed and it's preshow related.

Imagine being in that Triple Threat Tag and putting on a cracking, red hot opener on your preshow like that, and then having nothing but utter shit follow it. The whole pretend documentary/spoof of Fyre Festival or whatever they're doing is awful, just really WCW levels of bad. I've never seen the doc, never looked up the festival, so to me it's all the wrestlers and commentators on a show just proper slagging off their own product. I'm sure "Fyter Festival has been a train wreck so far" was said. If I'm tuning in and hearing that I'm certainly not slamming down a tenner to watch the rest.
The Librarians thing is insultingly bad and Leva Bates is the drizzling shits. Having her go out and do a wank pedigree that gets kicked out of twice is amateurish as you're going to get. That match was worse than anything you'll see on Raw or Smackdown.
The Hardcore match reminded me of when ManCow had a match in WCW which isn't a comparison you want. Alex Jebailey looked like a flabbergasted predator having Chris Hansen spring out on him the entire match. Just this dead look in his eyes as if his brain was shutting down. Some funny gaming-related commentary and spots mind you, but fuck me what a car crash overall.

I really want to like AEW but outside of a really good opener the rest of it was just really embarrassing for them. Not funny, not entertaining, not good wrestling, bad characters, bad skits. 

Hopefully the main show is better because I'm never even thinking about laying down a tenner for that shite.

5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Leva Bates is the drizzling shits. Having her go out and do a wank pedigree that gets kicked out of twice is amateurish as you're going to get. 

Isnt that supposed to be some sort of statement about her Blue Pants NXT days?

Welp. 

I've never heard of the Frye Festival either so the commentator saying that the show is a trainwreck certainly raised an eyebrow. Didn't help that he said it while the god awful librarian shit was dying on it's arse.

Worrying signs that The Bucks and Omega (i'm blaming the bad comedy on them) don't have a clue with them doubling down on the shittiest parts of the previous show. Imagine putting that out for your big free show. I'll watch the rest tomorrow.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

So I’m writing this as I watch it and having a quiet drink, so expect a casual write up where I enjoy everything and ramble. 

Opening tag was loads of fun, not a fan of the masked lads but I guess it hasn’t really started yet. Hopefully doesn’t turn out too cheesy. Or it is so cheesy that it becomes great, like a horror B-movie stable. 

On that note, I’m actually liking the Librarians for some bloody reason. I can imagine them developing mega heat, where the fans are booing their hearts out while they just stand and shhhhhhhhhh. Kinda like a comedy lower card Vicky Guerrero. Would be fun to see them go a bit more hipster with it and really pile on the stereotypes. Has anyone ridden a vintage tandem bicycle to the ring before? They should do that. The Jebailey match was better than I expected, but the bar was very very low. 

Annoyed that animal abusing cunt JR is calling the show, was hoping he would maybe just show up to announce Janela’s death. I’m just gonna zone him out. CIMA and Christopher Daniels are two awesome veterans to have on the roster. Rhyno’s deal with WWE is up next month, AEW would do well to bring him in as well in a similar role. The logo on the ring canvas radiates big dick energy. Great opener, seven stars. 

Women’s 3 way was fun but stucks out as weird because this was the first match that hadn’t been built properly. They managed to hook me in and I really enjoyed it.

MJF is a proper arse wanker. I think I fell asleep because I just saw Cody have his head caved in. Will go back and watch whatever I missed tomorrow. Luckily I am now well rested for the two matches I was really excited for.

I usually fucking hate nerds, but the Elite make it work. Pentagon carries himself in a way more intimidating than any wrestler out there right now. He is just a scary fucking guy ain’t he. Really enjoyed that match and I’m going to have to watch that again.

Moxly and Janela had a really fun match, plenty of cool spots and both looked like stars. The look on Joey’s face after going feet first into the pins was class. Ended with Omega getting all his heat back after Double Or Nothing. Enjoyed that show a lot more than any of WWE’s main main roster shows in fuck knows how long.

Didn’t mind the silly comedy stuff on the pre show, because they kept it there. As for not enjoying it because you didn’t watch the Fyre Festival doc, just be grateful wrestling is doing stuff relevant to current pop culture. Also, watch the doc because it is really funny and you are missing out 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

TL:DR - Bad comedy and unprotected chairshots sure can ruin a show.

Disappointing is probably the best way to describe this show. Bar one obvious exception it was mostly good wrestlers having fun matches, but for a company with so much goodwill they sure don't seem to know what to do with it and don't appear to be learning from their mistakes at all.

For as bad as the Double or Nothing pre-show was, this one was even worse. The opening tag match was fun, and Private Party put on a star-making performance, but everything that followed was absolute, bottom-of-the-barrel shit. If I hadn't already ordered it with FITE credits this would've been the second AEW show in as many months where the pre-show actively put me off sticking around to watch the PPV.

The Librarian stuff is unbelievably bad. It's not heel heat, it's not funny, it's proper hope-no-one-walks-in-and-sees-you-watching-this bollocks. What made it even worse was that they decided this was the right time to make a smarky joke at the expense of WWE about people watching TV at normal angles in AEW. As if taking pot shots wasn't small time enough, you did it during a segment way worse than anything we ever see on WWE TV. Glass houses, lads.

It was around this time that one of the commentators also started burying the fans as well, which was super weird. It fits perfectly when MJF is doing it, but the commentators calling their fans virgin nerds who can't read? Terrible idea.

The Fyre Fest spoofing didn't work at all. It would've been fine if they'd kept the references to a minimum, or perhaps even played off the idea that this show was a success unlike the Fyre Festival, but having your babyface commentators openly bury the show was really fucking stupid. The bikini model thing and the band not showing up fell flat too. For the second show in a row it felt like they needed to get all their nerdy, shitty comedy out of their system on the pre-show before getting more serious later on, seemingly forgetting what the actual point of the pre-show should be. Build up some fucking matches and get me excited, you goofs. Don't make me cringe and want to turn over. If you must do this crappy comedy, just put it on your YouTube show.

It's funny, everyone talks about how these guys put WWE to shame in that they're the cooler, more contemporary group, but then you see stuff like this and you realise they're not that cool after all. They think they're funnier than they really are and they don't get the difference between what they find funny and clever and what actually works on a mainstream level. It's like two ends of the spectrum. WWE is what happens when guys are given no opportunity to be themselves or come up with clever or funny ideas, and then here you've got guys arguably being given too much freedom, flaws and all. You can just imagine Tony Khan in that group chat they've got, saying yes to everyone and everything, geeking out that he's mates with some wrestlers.

Nakazawa vs. Alex Jebailey was some of the worst shit I've ever seen. Absolutely awful. Jebailey was green as grass, everything he did looked terrible, with some of the worst strikes I've ever seen, he spent the entire match either looking lost or corpsing and then he nearly killed Nakazawa with a botched German Suplex at the end. I'm assuming this chubby non-worker is someone's mate or something? The promoter of the gaming tournament, maybe? I don't care though. None of this should have been on TV. Utter wank. Can't believe they wasted the pool spot on this. Prime contender for Worst Match of the Year.

CIMA vs. Christopher Daniels looked acceptable. I'd stopped paying attention after the pre-show, to be honest. It took a while for the bad taste to subside.

The women's match was probably match of the night. No bollocks, just a really fun match that told a good story. Nyla Rose is clearly leagues below the Japanese girls but I thought she played her part perfectly and looked far better than she did last month. That spot when she caught both girls separately was awesome and that knee she hit off the top rope was mega! I think I'm in love with Yuka Sakazaki. They should build the division around her.

I enjoyed the Four Way. Jungle Boy stands out as someone you could make a huge star out of. Loved that he made his entrance on Luchasaurus' shoulders. They make a fun little act. MJF continues to be a standout. A proper heel. Loved him shouting and screaming before getting hit with the Tower of Doom. He's got good comedic timing as well as being a brilliant prick. There's still something missing with Hangman though. He didn't feel like a Title Contender here at all.

Darby Allin selling his arse off for twenty minutes and managing to achieve a time limit draw with a big star like Cody is a good story to tell. It elevates Darby without harming Cody and sets up potential rematches and storylines in the future. What a shame, then, that they immediately shot that angle and rendered the whole thing instantly forgotten about! Poor Darby. He may as well have not wrestled at all, the speed with which he was an afterthought. What a waste of your spine taking that back bump to the apron only for the story to be about Cody scripting his own skull to be smashed in! They can get fucked doing that type of chair shot in 2019, too. It's not impressive, it's just stupid. Throwing to Jim Ross so he can chat about CTE didn't help, either. Imagine thinking it's a good idea to make CTE~! part of the on-air entertainment. Awfully misjudged. It killed the fun and enjoyment this show had managed to rebuild after the dreadful pre-show and it never really recovered. Again, Tony Khan needs to have a word with these guys.

I don't buy Shawn Spears as a top heel. That's terrible casting. He's best suited as a mid-card comedy act who gets the crowd going at the start of house shows doing the 10 schtick.

The 6-Man Tag was a great spot fest. Ray Fenix is something special. Best part of the match though was Kenny Omega afterwards giving everyone high fives, fist bumps and selfies. That was the most he's looked like a top star so far. Good stuff.

Similarly, I thought Moxley came across as a huge star during his entrance, particularly when he kissed the camera. It's those little touches that make such a difference with how sterile and formulaic WWE feels. Fair play to the guy, too. He's clearly AEW's biggest star, a millionaire, and yet he's taking bumps like maniac. Janela vs. Moxley was fun for what it was but, I dunno, it never really clicked. It did its job, I suppose. I think half the problem is that once a guy has had his head caved in earlier in the night you're going to have to literally die to make your match stand out as so violent that the company won't sanction it. Still, it was OK and I bet Janela was happy to get such a big match. It was really obvious what a difference in star power there was between each guy though. It felt like Hulk Hogan wrestling Billy Kidman in some parts.

So yeah, an OK show. Would've been a good show if Tony Khan had some balls to direct his guys better. Also, no Alex Marvez. That was a huge plus.

Edited by Supremo