AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

Enjoyed that. I'd say less is more when it comes to the camera cuts but I otherwise enjoyed Joey Janela's promo. The digs at Moxley were predictable but they worked well enough.

First time I think I've seen Darby Allin. I learned more about him in five minutes than I've learnt about any WWE wrestler in twenty years. The straight-edge emo gimmick doesn't particularly do it for me but I'm intrigued.

Glad they've brought back a couple of the Joshi girls. I've watched back Double or Nothing a couple of times and fuck me am I in love with Riho. Her and Emi Sakura were excellent together

Odd that Moxley vs Janela isn't listed as a hardcore match on the card, maybe they're holding it off?

Looking forward to the next event though I still have no fucking clue how and where to watch it. What are the chances of them bringing in PAC for the six man tag?

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

Plus, who the fuck watches Raw and comes away thinking, "that could've done with having more wrestling."

What a mad complaint.

Edit: Having now watched the video, it’s great stuff. Janela’s promo is really impressive considering I’d never heard him talk before, that one shot of Sean Spears with a posh car made him look like a superstar and then that Darby Allin thing was spectacular. Told me more than enough to get me invested in seeing him in the ring. 

Bloody hell though. The quicker everyone drops the “unchained,” metaphors and stops talking about WWE the better.  Kevin Dunn references? Fuck off, lads. You’re clearly better than this.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

The Janela promo is the only bit of it I don't like. I don't like him anyway but the content is shite. It does at least play to the right audience but it's not for me. Who gives a fuck about all that.

The rest is top notch. And I really like the way they've taken bits that someone has shot and used and credited them. It's a very clever way to work especially given the quality of what Ambrose and Mondo did with that jailbreak video and what the fella has done with that Dillinger promo.

Looking forward to seeing Allin. Seen him advertised as Cody's opponent but genuinely never seen him before. In fact, I thought it was some one-off gimmick given the name appeared to be a pun! He's got a good look and talked well. Sold me on the match already.

The name of the show is a bit shit. Look forward to seeing the venue though. Ocean Center was the home of Bash at the Beach a few times.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Ocean Center was the home of Bash at the Beach a few times.

It's not the whole Ocean Center they're using is it? I assumed that was where they were having the CEO games conference and they just had a little set up like last year with Omega et al? Or is this a much bigger show?

22 minutes ago, Loki said:

Brandi Rhodes is pretty annoying.  Is she any good at wrestling?  She seems to be AEW's Stephanie, all over the product.

She had a few poor matches in Stardom, I think she suffered an injury early in her brief run there though.

Edited by The King Of Swing

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Looking forward to seeing Allin. Seen him advertised as Cody's opponent but genuinely never seen him before. In fact, I thought it was some one-off gimmick given the name appeared to be a pun! He's got a good look and talked well. Sold me on the match already.

It's a play on Darby Crash from The Germs and GG Allin, two punk vocalists. He does look pretty intriguing though and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action, maybe moreso because I like the two artists who serve as his namesake.

I'm a big fan of Janela, though that recent match with a 15 year old girl soured me on him a bit as that shouldn't have even been a thing in the first place. But I'm looking forward to seeing him and Moxley, bit of a dream match in death match circles I suppose. There's a short documentary about him on YouTube which is really interesting and worth a look as well, called 'Please Don't Die'.

Edited by digitalversicolor

• Paid Members

Joey Janela and Darby Allin are two people who I can genuinely see being in wheelchairs in the next few years. No self regard for their bodies. I like Janela, though. And Darby Allin has that sloppy "may die in a few minutes" quality that Sabu had. So I enjoy them both, but I watch them and cant believe some of the shit they do. Allin taped a chair to himself and did a Aero Star back first bump off a balcony at the MLW show last year. That could have went seriously wrong. And Janela did the Foley head first through the table bump at Double or Nothing and nobody has even mentioned it. This ridiculously dangerous bump and people are taking about Orange Cassedy's very safe comedy spots more than that. I think both need to chill out.

Oh and Brandi is dreadful. I wish Cody would have married Gail Kim or someone instead.

• Paid Members

Have you ever seen a Darby vs Janela match? They're insane spectacles. There was one a few years back where Joey cuffed Darby's hands behind his back, so he started doing spots with no arms. It was cute for a while, then got scary when he did a topé con hilo. Really really scary stuff. I hope they get the opportunity to go All Out at...uhhh...All Out.