AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

Pretty poor second show in all honesty, did enjoy the triple threat tag on the pre show, the 6 man and Janela/Mox the rest of it was pretty forgettable. They can get to fuck with doing stupidly needless spots like the apron and chair shot spots in the Cody/Allin match though. Thank god I had  the referral bucks to pay for it because it wasn’t worth dropping £9 on, hopefully Fight for the Fallen will be better in two weeks

• Paid Members

It's going to be fascinating to see what they do for their telly show. As Ian points out, they are a bit all over the place, at the minute. Personally, going on the past two shows, I tend to find there is more bad than good.

The Cody match seemed to fall apart after that absolutely dunce of a spot to the ring apron. Before all this, Cody was once again showing himself to be a good storyteller and was on track to save the show, again. Then that spot happened, we got that goofy body bag part, clunky nearfalls and the idiocy of that chair shot. You hope the reaction the chair shot received and Cody losing a chunk of skull will put them off ever doing it again. There was just no need at all and it doesn't fill you with great hope about their decision making in the future.

MJF has the potential to be the best character in wrestling. Something has went terribly wrong if he's not one of their biggest stars next year.

They've given me no reason to give a care about Hangman Page. Jericho has his work cut out.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Meltzer's on the 'the chair was gimmicked and something went wrong' bandwagon, which should surprise absolutely no-one, although not even he could completely defend the librarians/Nakazawa stuff [except to say 'I guess if you're a fan of that kind of thing then you'd have liked it' and 'the librarian stuff was over with the live crowd at the first show']. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How exactly was the chair meant to be gimmicked and what exactly 'went wrong'? Has anybody explained either?

Lance Storm said you unscrew the part that keeps the seat down solid when you fold it. So when it connects it swings open on contact. Which means it still hits you really hard, but it'll not bend over your head. So at the very least you're still going to get your head smashed in by a chair.

I'm really torn on chairshots.  I think on balance that I'd be happy never seeing unprotected shots like this ever again.

On the other hand, if he'd got a hand up I'd be all for it, as long as it's something you take maybe once a year.  A chairshot should be a major plotline, something people take weeks or longer to recover from, etc.  Used properly it's still a dramatic moment.  

I'm assuming it's up to Cody how to take it, Spears swings the chair and it's up to the receiver how to take it?

• Paid Members

Real mixed bag this one. Haven't read much on it because I like to express what I think first so apologies if this is repetative.

Pre-show

Opener was fine if maybe a bit long. A good pre-show type match that the crowd were into. Show looked absolutely stunning, camera work was better, direction much better. As this point, this is perfect pre-show fare.

Allie's match was fine. Bit long again. Nothing wrong there though.

Nakazawa and that fella was embarrassingly bad. The selling when he wrapped the cable around his neck was the worst I've ever seen on a show this well promoted. That's two shows in a row I wouldn't have bought if I was just checking it out in the pre-show.

Main show

Cima vs. Daniels was a decent opener if a bit short. Never really got going. Right result though. I liked that they built up Cima challenging Omega next and then didn't have him inexplicably lose.

Ladies three way was really good for the most part. Couple of naff spots that went wrong but generally decent. Don't really like Rose being in there to lose if I'm honest.

Four way was a bundle of fun. I genuinely love Adam Page. I cheered when he won. Again, very sensible booking. MJF is great. Imagine being the poor bastard they cut to after his virgin line though.

Cody and Allin was good but not great. Loved the spot where Allin hit the ring post. That was awesome. The dive onto the edge of the apron was insane though. I don't blame him if I'm honest. I'd never heard of him until a month ago. Lots won't have. Give me this opportunity to make a name for myself and I'll do stupid stuff too. Didn't love them doing the time limit draw or the chair shot deal here. Both are interesting angles but feel too early. I'd hate to see chair shots like that all the time but on a very, very rare occasion, I think it's OK if you give it the gravitas it deserves. Do worry that it will happen often though.

Six man was good up to a point. Some of the selling is really goofy and that Hadouken spot was stupid. The action was incredible though and it was really, really fun. Just another thing they really need to tighten up on.

Main event was what it was. I'm not in love with this type of match but I did love Moxley. He looks the business, his work is a level above, because although some don't like it, WWE is the real top, top level. NJPW isn't in it's league for work. Janela's a midget isn't he? Didn't realise. Credit to them for doing what they did. If it's your bag, enjoy. I enjoyed Moxley bowing to the crowd more than any spot in the match.

Good post match to further establish the Moxley/Omega rivalry.

Overall

Need to not lose sight of the fact that this was a B show - and it told. It looked great but had some real hokey shit. I can't decide if this will have more eyes on it or not given it was free but online. Regardless, they should be disappointed it didn't hit the heights of DoN. I'd give it 6/10. Only hated one match. Thought several were just OK. Really enjoyed the ladies triple threat, the four way and the six man. Main Event delivered but just isn't for me.

• Paid Members

The Bad: The librarians. The attempts at humour in the pre-show. Jebailey. The crowd laughing at Darby's bodybag spot.

The Good: Everything else. Mox vs Janela. Darby being insane. Guys having several feuds at once. Private Party. The 6-man tag. Nyla Rose. MJF.

Overall, a really solid show that makes me want more, so that's a big win in my book. They do need to refine the pre-show, as everything after the incredible 3-way tag was cringe inducing. Imagine how great that hour could've been if it was those Road To Fyter Fest hype videos sandwiching that tag match. 

Also, Mox going balls to the wall with barbed wire and thumbtacks right before his first ever G1 run is spectacular.

13 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Another problem with the chair shot (other than the obvious of course) imo is that it completely overshadowed Allin. Guy near kills himself in his debut and now no fucker is even talking about him.

I'd be pretty pissed in that position.

Well, except for most the posts discussing the event have mentioned him? 

“You tried to steal my thunder after the biggest match of my life” will be a decent little mid card match 

They could salvage some face kayfabe-wise by having Cody out for 6 weeks, as you would a sports injury (albeit shorter, because still, wrestling). Which isn't happening, obviously, as he's booked for the next A show. Spears just smashed the Executive Vice President of his employer in the head with a weapon, before he's even had a proper match though, which is pretty dumb. Maybe have Spears suspended, but have Allin, pushing the mad bastard pop punk Sabu gimmick, insist on working through injury and calling out Spears until he gets a match, leading to him getting battered and a healed Cody making the save. So it could be an interesting storyline dynamic between the three of them, but badly handled from the off.