AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

For a long time now i have felt that wrestling has moved away from "good guys v bad guys" and been more about "cool mooooovez". 

So tonight we have MJF cutting a great heel promo, only to return to the ring shortly afterwards with a look of genuine concern for the caved in head of Cody Rhodes???? 

I can only assume this was an attempt to bring forward Jim Cornette's impending aneurysm?

The show had a few good bits in it and an awful lot of rubbish. I did not really enjoy it very much at all 😐

5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Sorry I meant as a whole, preshow included.

I know what you mean, just the idea that the first little bit could ruin the whole thing is barmy to me.

Some people are watching the six man tag and still being annoyed they didn’t understand a joke from a few hours before about a documentary they haven’t seen.

• Paid Members

It's like I said last time, I wonder at what point we, as fans, need to take some responsibility and stop wrestlers from doing shit like that. I don't even see what Allin was attempting with that bump, what was that move meant to be?

As for the Cody chairshot, well, would that have had any the less impact with the crowd if he'd got his hands up? I don't think so. It's just uncomfortable to watch and I don't want to feel uncomfortable watching a sodding wrestling event.

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like this is completely indefensible.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I know what you mean, just the idea that the first little bit could ruin the whole thing is barmy to me.

Some people are watching the six man tag and still being annoyed they didn’t understand a joke from a few hours before about a documentary they haven’t seen.

I mean, I can just break it down for you if that's how you're taking it.

Pre-Show - Awful wrestling, really bad comedy, bush-league WWE digs.

Main Show - Mediocre wrestling, bush league WWE digs, no psychology, stupid spots. 

The worst of the bad stuff outweighed the best of the good stuff, for me. Bang average show that could have cut a lot of bullshit out.

32 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

So tonight we have MJF cutting a great heel promo, only to return to the ring shortly afterwards with a look of genuine concern for the caved in head of Cody Rhodes????

The story they've been telling in their online shows is that MJF is sucking up to Cody and pretending to be friends with him while in reality he hates him and talks trash about him behind his back. So, based on that it made perfect sense for MJF to be out there and to be showing (over-the-top fake) concern over Cody. Obviously, this is all leading to Cody eventually figuring out the truth and feuding with MJF.

Edited by pgi86

As much as I'm a Yuka Sakazaki fan, I'm surprised that how quickly she's getting over with the fans. Probably helps that she doesn't do as much comedy as she used to.

Some sloppyness aside I thought the triple threat match was well put together. Overall I thought the shows was better paced than DoN.

Any news on why Poundland Bayley was a no show?

Edited by The King Of Swing

WWE does a goofy match involving food and stuffed toys with a poorly trained non-worker.
AEW fans 'WWE is insulting our intelligence - this stuff is the worst and why I hate wrestling'

AEW does a match involving a bump into a kiddie pool and an inflatable toy shot with a poorly trained non-worker.
AEW fans 'It's fun and entertaining - these guys are expressing their art and wrestling is all about fun. Plus, it's not like the non-worker won!'.

WWE books Triple H and Shane McMahon in overly long matches.
AEW fans 'Total ego move by the guys running the company.'

AEW books Cody, Omega and The Bucks in overly long matches.
AEW fans 'Excellent booking by the guys running the company'

WWE has a match where two guys get dropped on their heads.
AEW fans 'Irresponsible. In this day and age of concussion awareness that is absolutely reckless. I hate that WWE doesn't think about the safety of its wrestlers.'

AEW has Shawn Spears blast Cody with a hard, unprotected chair shot that makes Cody's head bleed profusely.
AEW fans 'This is REAL wrestling like it used to be! It's 2019 and nobody should tell Cody what he can or can't do in regards to his body!' [Genuinely a comment I have just seen about the chair shot]

WWE pushes silly gimmicks.
AEW fans 'Eurgh, this is so embarrassing! I wish wrestling was presented as more of a 'real' sport'

AEW pushes 'Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus'.
AEW fans 'These guys are so much fun. AEW has something for everyone!'

Okay, so my hatred at the hypocrisy of AEW and their die-hard fans aside - I thought the whole thing was a bit 'm'eh' to be honest.
MJF is a star. Hangman Page could be a star. I see nothing in Darby Allin. He looks like a child. 
I don't get the big deal over Janela - have only ever seen clips of him but again he just comes across as 'another guy'.
Nyla Rose is not very good and the three way was sloppy and disappointing - the two Japanese women's shots looked like they would not crack an egg. I have never thought Jimmy Havoc was anything other than average. 

Still, they are the hot, new shit - the 'uncool-cool' alternative to WWE - and Meltzer will likely cream all over the show so that's all that matters.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Awards Moderator
39 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's like I said last time, I wonder at what point we, as fans, need to take some responsibility and stop wrestlers from doing shit like that. I don't even see what Allin was attempting with that bump, what was that move meant to be?

As for the Cody chairshot, well, would that have had any the less impact with the crowd if he'd got his hands up? I don't think so. It's just uncomfortable to watch and I don't want to feel uncomfortable watching a sodding wrestling event.

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like this is completely indefensible.

I fully agree with this. I get my AEW news from here and as such, these two clips are all I’ve seen of last night’s show and it’s enough to put me off seeking out the rest (and I know these two bits aren’t representative, the effect on me is the same). The chair shot is ridiculous, because there’s no reason to not put a hand up other than to gain, Copyright Pitcos, internet points, but it’s the Allin bump I found more alarming. Inexcusable, especially when there’s the veteran Cody in there with him who should have told him to sod off when he suggested they do that.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I wasn’t a massive fan of the show overall. Some good stuff but as already mentioned a lot of really bad shit. One take away I had was that Jungle Boy has the potential to be massive. Moxley is also by far the biggest star they have. The pre show was atrocious as previously mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Most people are shitting on the silly gimmicks and that non wrestler.

I'm not actually against Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus personally - I think it's an interesting pairing.
It's the 'we will be presenting a more sports-based alternative to WWE' - 'Omega plays the drums on his mortal enemy Moxley's back/The Librarians' hypocrisy of the company and the blind defense of it by certain sections of the AEW-fandom that makes me roll my eyes.

I WANT them to succeed - but they seem to be making the same ego-led, playing to their existing fanbase mistakes that you would think [or hope] they would be self aware enough NOT to do. Sadly, from their first couple of shows, it seems like they are not. 

46 minutes ago, pgi86 said:

The story they've been telling in their online shows is that MJF is sucking up to Cody and pretending to be friends with him while in reality he hates him and talks trash about him behind his back. So, based on that it made perfect sense for MJF to be out there and to be showing (over-the-top fake) concern over Cody. Obviously, this is all leading to Cody eventually figuring out the truth and feuding with MJF.

Thanks for the info, i was unaware of the storyline.

MJF is my favourite character, his delivery and facials really get over what a prick he is.

One thing I realized is that I can now see why New Japan didn't didn't give Kenny Omega free reign.

There is something very "Russo" about the guy imo, and by that I mean you really need someone that is willing to tell him no and to weed out the goofy shit.

Weekly TV will be what either makes or breaks AEW. People might tolerate the goofy BTE stuff for a few shows but not every week.