AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

46 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's like I said last time, I wonder at what point we, as fans, need to take some responsibility and stop wrestlers from doing shit like that. I don't even see what Allin was attempting with that bump, what was that move meant to be?

As for the Cody chairshot, well, would that have had any the less impact with the crowd if he'd got his hands up? I don't think so. It's just uncomfortable to watch and I don't want to feel uncomfortable watching a sodding wrestling event.

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like this is completely indefensible.

I agree apart from the bit in bold. To me we've got fuck all responsibility. Chair shots to the head are completely unnecessary, especially full force, no protection chair shots. It's sickening in this day and age, after all the lawsuits, deaths, murders that a wrestler would be such a reckless mark to take one. Wrestlers should be the responsible ones and fans shouldn't be responsible for their stupidity. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I agree apart from the bit in bold. To me we've got fuck all responsibility. Chair shots to the head are completely unnecessary, especially full force, no protection chair shots. It's sickening in this day and age, after all the lawsuits, deaths, murders that a wrestler would be such a reckless mark to take one. Wrestlers should be the responsible ones and fans shouldn't be responsible for their stupidity. 

I guess I mean mostly in standing up and saying "Please don't do this shit, we don't want you to die."

But I also think by sitting idly by and applauding and cheering this sort of stuff, whether we like it or not, we are partially responsible. I acknowledge that I'm in the minorithy stating this though.

• Paid Members

Honestly, while he should have gotten a hand up I thought it was quite refreshing to see a chair shot that wasn't "hold it sideways and jab them with it". The fact they did one and treat it like he had been shot, I thought the whole bit was quite intense. I don't want to see it every week but if it was a one off then fair. Get your hands up though. 
I don't know the ins and outs of the long term damage a single unprotected chair shot will do, but it surely can't be any worse than head spiking on hurricanranas and DDTs like the flippy lads do. 

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I guess I mean mostly in standing up and saying "Please don't do this shit, we don't want you to die."

But I also think by sitting idly by and applauding and cheering this sort of stuff, whether we like it or not, we are partially responsible. I acknowledge that I'm in the minorithy stating this though.

I agree to a small extent but consider this. 

I saw a clip recently of a girl getting piledriverd on the bonnet of a car. I thought it was a joke someone would book that. But, if I'm being perfectly honest, if I was in the crowd, with the atmosphere and everyone around me, maybe I would have cheered. Later on, I would have probably realised how bad the spot was. 

It's one thing marks being marks and getting sucked into an occasion as paid fans. It's another thing the marks being the wrestlers and bookers and partaking in such dangerous, backwards shite. It's 2019, the people in the business should all know better. 

Another abysmal pre-show. If this reflects whatever they plan to present on their weekly TV show I won’t be able to watch it.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy Fyter Fest. The unprotected chair shot, as others have said, was idiotic. The apron bump was also foolish, no need for that at all.

It seems increasingly possible that AEW will end up being a jumble of competing visions. They need to find a consistent voice and stick with it. 

Edited by RedRooster

17 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

The fact they did one and treat it like he had been shot, I thought the whole bit was quite intense. I don't want to see it every week but if it was a one off then fair. 

Yeah I thought it was pretty unnecessary, but at least the followed through and presented it as something dangerous and twisted. 

Shame not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Reckon you all need to start downing a bottle of rum before shows start so you lighten up a bit 

Okay show. With it being Kenny's little side thing I wasn't expecting it to touch DON, but it still felt underwhelming. There wasn't any true stand out matches and the shit in-jokes continue to make The Elite look bush league.

Pre-show was an embarrassment. The three way tag was alright but it was just a cluster of guys getting their shit-in. No idea who's heel or face in this company. . At least Private Party got a good showing, them and Yuka Sakazaki were the only acts to come out of this show feeling like bigger stars.   

The pre-show commentary was WWE without the buzzwords. Things didn't get much better when JR joined them. I think they'd be better off dropping him to be honest. He's alright when he's in his comfort zone but for the most part he sounds hopelessly out of touch and is flat out embarrassing at times. He's sounds like a fucking weirdo calling women's matches. There were even moments of passive aggressive wanker JR where he sounds like he's openly shitting on stuff. Fuck three man booths.

1 hour ago, pgi86 said:

The story they've been telling in their online shows is that MJF is sucking up to Cody and pretending to be friends with him while in reality he hates him and talks trash about him behind his back. So, based on that it made perfect sense for MJF to be out there and to be showing (over-the-top fake) concern over Cody. Obviously, this is all leading to Cody eventually figuring out the truth and feuding with MJF.

hated that they had the only identifiable heel on the entire fucking roster came out for that bit, so I'm glad there's some kind of story behind it. I thought Cody/Allin was cracking to begin with, the only match all night that had any kind of psychology to it. Darby Allin is incredible to watch and his selling is out of this world.  But the ludicrous apron spot took it completely off the rails. For fucks sake. And to think he was a complete afterthought five minutes later.

I went into this event thinking Cody shouldn't be shy to push himself - he comes across as a far bigger star than the Elite guys - but this soured him for me. Stupid, pointless, pathetically try-hard nonsense. They just can't help themselves. And Shawn fucking Spears? You having a laugh? Come on, this ain't the spot for him. 

Adam Page is meh. Magnum TA he ain't. Jungle Boy is fucking money though, give him a decent spotlight in the undercard and the teenyboppers will be all over him. The four-way was largely forgettable, MJF's promo was the best bit. He reminds me of The Rock, honestly. He's the best thing in the company. Jimmy Fucking Havoc sucks. Nobody should be acting intimated by this guy and I can't believe the cheek of him doing The Rainmaker with his puny arms

Women's three-way started really clunky but picked up with the awesome power spots. I love Riho, I haven't seen such a fun rag-dolling bumping machine since prime HBK. Pissed that they changed her theme music since DON. Probably match of the night. 

I enjoy the Young Bucks well enough but I don't see the act having legs on the national stage. Gonna sound like a right Cornette but maybe they'd be more palatable as a white meat babyface team? Match was good but didn't come close to their previous.

I'll watch the rest of the main event when I get time this evening. Moxley needs to sort out his entrance music though. A star like him shouldn't be coming out to such generic shit.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

Is there any other form of entertainment in the world where you as a viewer have to accept you will sit in your seat cringing and hoping nobody comes in and sees you watching it as much as wrestling? There's a lot of good things about AEW, but there is way to many things I sit there going "this is dog shit." Letting everyone play in their own sandbox never works in pro wrestling. Allowing the Young Bucks to do their vision of wrestling. Allowing Jim Ross to sit there trying act as if this is UWF and "you have to respect the rules" while the referee is doing the opposite of what he suggests. Having Cody Rhodes claim he wants the 90s to fuck off and then works exclusively WWF main event style from 1998. Everyone is doing their own thing, and its a bit of a mess. You need one vision. You cant have "wins and losses matter, but they really dont because we need to keep everyone strong."

And the comedy aspect of it. Fuck off. The worst thing in the world is terrible comedy shoved down your thought. "LIKE THIS! IF YOU GET THIS YOU'LL LOVE IT!" Utter shite. It just doesnt make sense. You have Cody Rhodes smashing a throne up at the last show, yet they continue to do these sub-DX skits. Obviously this company is still young, and hopefully Tony Khan grows some balls and puts his foot down for their eventual debut on TNT.

Major positives is that they have Keith Mitchell and Kevin (not that one) Sullivan on board. You can see Sullivan's influence in the backstage stuff. As crap as the pre-show was, the skits were very well produced. Like TNA used to do around 2012. It has this very different vibe. The colour tone and the lighting of the skits were so different from everything else. So that's good. Taking the best things from TNA is a plus. The set looked brilliant. No club who Goldenboy and the other bloke was prior to this, but they were enthusiastic and knew their stuff.

Sadly JR wasnt at the races. Shame, really. He seemed so good at Double or Nothing. Tonight it was back to "what do you think Excalibur?" about everyone. But as I say, it was a B-show, so hopefully they have shit sorted soon enough. Things cant go on as they are. To make it big in the long run, you need to open out of the traps with a clear vision. Its why TNA failed. Their long term vision was never any good.

1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Thanks for the info, i was unaware of the storyline.

MJF is my favourite character, his delivery and facials really get over what a prick he is.

He has to come out to Cult Of Personality at some point at All Out. And not just somewhere obvious like the start of the show or something but at a point where the fans expect Punk to make an appearance. 

3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

From what I have seen most people seemed really put off by the chair shot and to a lesser degree the "hardest part of the ring" bump.

@SBA.

I've always taken the "more sports based stuff" with a huge grain of salt.

AEW's twitter feed says otherwise - 'If you don't like chairshots to the head you are not a real wrestling fan', 'Cody is built for this' 'He didn't get a concussion. Chill out. has nobody ever seen a chair shot before!?' etc etc.

Bare in mind, this is the same group that have slammed JR for using the word 'Oriental' on the show despite the company being called 'Oriental Wrestling Entertainment'. ... have been seeing a lot of this kind of thing...

I've always taken the 'more sports based stuff' that way too but for all the WWE-bashing they are doing they are really not making themselves look any better or any less 'sports entertainment'-y.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne