Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 I only watched 40 seconds of the trailer before turning it off. Did I miss out on one of the cats being an atheist and calling someone a cunt? Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 49 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: With every new project Gervais does, it becomes more apparent just what a genius Stephen Merchant is. The Outlaws was a good show. Third series was a bit unnecessary, but managed to end everything well. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted June 22 Posted June 22 (edited) Stephen Merchants show, 'Hello Ladies', that he made for HBO in 2013 with a couple of the guys who made the US Office, is very good and very funny. It flew under the radar a bit when it first came out and didn't get picked up for a second season, but they did let him make a feature length episode to tie up all the loose ends. Loads better than all of Gervais' post-Extras TV shows. Edited June 22 by wordsfromlee Quote
Paid Members Wretch Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 From the “creator of The Office”, eh? I’ve seen him throw a strop before when called a co-creator, but I’ll be damned if I can find it now. Has it ever been confirmed they fell out? Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 4 minutes ago, Wretch said: From the “creator of The Office”, eh? I’ve seen him throw a strop before when called a co-creator, but I’ll be damned if I can find it now. Has it ever been confirmed they fell out? Annoyingly not, and I think both of them have claimed they haven't fallen out, but it seems increasingly obvious that they have. Richard Herring tried to pull Merchant up on it on his podcast last month and Merchant sidestepped it. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 Which I respect in one sense as it shows he wants to put it all behind him and just crack on. Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 All the best bits in Extras were Merchant and Barry anyway. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 Extras is frankly a bit shite. Whatever gold they struck with the Office was long gone with that. Agree that Merchant and Barry were the only bright spots. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 Gervais is the Linehan/Kaye of that writing team. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 22 Members Posted June 22 31 minutes ago, gmoney said: Extras is frankly a bit shite. Whatever gold they struck with the Office was long gone with that. Agree that Merchant and Barry were the only bright spots. I liked Extras, but Andy was just such a horrible cunt. At least with Brent there is a crumb of warmth towards him (mainly due to wanting to see him triumph over that little slug Neil) but with Andy there is none of that, he's just an entitled dickhead, who doesn't deserve the friendship of Maggie. His speech in the Christmas special to the Big Brother cameras makes me retch, and that's all Gervais has chased ever since the perfect moment of The Office Christmas specials That big overwrought emotional moment but it's SO laboured. He's basically modern day WWE This is one of the worst written, worst acted things I've ever seen and shows just how awful he is as a solo writer and an actor. But even though I detested it all, I still hate watched 3 series of it, as I'm a sad sack, and I'll watch that cat bollocks and take one for the team. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 Ricky's stock character seems to be "I'm a sarky miserable cunt who is always right about everything but deep down I'm very kind and perfect". It's unbearable. Quote
deathrey Posted June 23 Posted June 23 1 hour ago, LaGoosh said: Ricky's stock character seems to be "I'm a sarky miserable cunt who is always right about everything but deep down I'm very kind and perfect". It's unbearable. He plays himself - or how he perceives himself to be. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 15 hours ago, Jazzy G said: Which I respect in one sense as it shows he wants to put it all behind him and just crack on. Oh I respect it, but I can't deny that a part of me would love to hear what went on between them and how much of a cunt Gervais really is. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted June 23 Posted June 23 I don't think they were really proper mates to begin with. They were put together as a writing duo by the BBC. Stephen was originally hired as Ricky's PA when Ricky was Head of Speech at XFM. Then Stephen went off to do a course at the BBC and got Ricky in to act in that 'Seedy Boss' short film he made as part of it, which was the genesis to The Office. The BBC liked the short and wanted to turn it into a TV show but felt Merchant was a bit too green to write it alone so partnered him with Gervais. Something like that, anyway. Quote
Paid Members Wretch Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 Yeah, even on those XFM radio shows, some of Ricky's stories involve meeting Karl in the boozer on a day off. He never mentions once meeting Steve on the outside for a pint. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.