Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2025 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: We're all overlooking his Derry Girls appearance, I see. I blame the wife. She watched the first episode and said she didn’t think it was much cop, so I didn’t watch it. Stupid Scorch, it’s obvious by her choice in men her judgement isn’t the best. Quote
CTXRussomark Posted April 4, 2025 Posted April 4, 2025 My main issue with that trailer is the CGI unmasking as it completely kills a classic visual gag (a quick camera cut before/after the person reaches for the mask) in exchange for a shit special effect. It's objectively worse from both a creative and comedic perspective and genuinely took me out of the moment upon first watch. The rest of the trailer was fine though, and the OJ gag was good. Definitely still willing to have an open mind about it as I adore the original series/movies. Just hope the rest of the movie leans more towards the OJ-type gags rather than the bank scene. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 On 3/21/2025 at 4:36 PM, LaGoosh said: I got about halfway through episode 1, Jimmy Carr’s presence is fucking awful and I had to give up. Which is a shame, as I think there’s probably a good show in there if they didn’t force it down your throats. If someone can do a supercut without the Jimmy Carr bits, that’d be grand. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 1 hour ago, hallicks said: I got about halfway through episode 1, Jimmy Carr’s presence is fucking awful and I had to give up. Which is a shame, as I think there’s probably a good show in there if they didn’t force it down your throats. If someone can do a supercut without the Jimmy Carr bits, that’d be grand. Yeah I gave it half an episode (my wife was watching it) and gave up. Just the usual general unfunny and smug shitness of everyone involved (except the wonderful Bob Mortimer obviously). Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 On 4/4/2025 at 5:50 PM, CTXRussomark said: My main issue with that trailer is the CGI unmasking as it completely kills a classic visual gag (a quick camera cut before/after the person reaches for the mask) in exchange for a shit special effect. It's objectively worse from both a creative and comedic perspective and genuinely took me out of the moment upon first watch. The rest of the trailer was fine though, and the OJ gag was good. Definitely still willing to have an open mind about it as I adore the original series/movies. Just hope the rest of the movie leans more towards the OJ-type gags rather than the bank scene. I saw someone point out that the original Police Squad or Naked Gun wouldn't have had an unmasking; it just would have been Frank dressed up as a little girl, and everyone else in the scene treating it as if it was just a little girl. Everyone in the Police Squad uniform is a buffoon, so having Frank Drebin do something super-competent and effective feels like a misjudging of what those films are, in the sake of just generic comedy. But I can see them leaning into more of that to parody Liam Neeson's post-Taken screen persona, though, Quote
Paid Members Surf Digby Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 It's the way the joke's done. The classic Police Squad way would be to have Frank pull off the wig and smear his make-up off, cut to the reaction of the robbers, and then cut back to Frank looking pristinely groomed again, or have him pull the uniform off in one piece and somehow have his trademark grey suit on underneath. Things were funny in Police Squad because they were so implausible and ridiculous. A 4'8 schoolgirl in a short skirted uniform can't conceal a 6'1 man in a suit. But an obvious and unconvincing CGI morph, anything can hide anything, or transform into anything, and so it becomes the norm. There's effectively no gag there. Just like a lot of schoolgirls I know. I can't see them doing much of the dialogue based humour of the original, and ZAZ always had a few near-the-knuckle jokes that we probably won't get either. Quote
CTXRussomark Posted April 7, 2025 Posted April 7, 2025 5 minutes ago, Surf Digby said: It's the way the joke's done. The classic Police Squad way would be to have Frank pull off the wig and smear his make-up off, cut to the reaction of the robbers, and then cut back to Frank looking pristinely groomed again, or have him pull the uniform off in one piece and somehow have his trademark grey suit on underneath. Things were funny in Police Squad because they were so implausible and ridiculous. A 4'8 schoolgirl in a short skirted uniform can't conceal a 6'1 man in a suit. But an obvious and unconvincing CGI morph, anything can hide anything, or transform into anything, and so it becomes the norm. Exactly this, and worded far better than my attempt. My biggest worry after seeing the trailer is if they've missed the mark so badly on the scene they chose for the trailer, what is the rest of the movie going to look like? But again, it's just a trailer at this point. That scene could turn out to be a dream sequence for all we know, so I'm still trying to keep my mind open. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 1 hour ago, Surf Digby said: unconvincing CGI Has there ever been a CGI joke in a movie that's worked? I can't think of one. And to me it signals that the makers are too lazy to put the physical effort in to make the gag actually work which doesn't bode well for the rest of the film, sadly. Quote
Vamp Posted April 7, 2025 Posted April 7, 2025 5 hours ago, LaGoosh said: Yeah I gave it half an episode (my wife was watching it) and gave up. Just the usual general unfunny and smug shitness of everyone involved (except the wonderful Bob Mortimer obviously). I stuck with it through all 6 because I wasn't feeling well and didn't have the energy to fanny about looking for something else but I did find it strangely interesting. It's odd to watch comedians making a big deal at not laughing at other people's jokes when you don't find them funny anyway. It was also interesting that they were all asked to do "routines" and all of them opted to do a strange performance art piece rather than a stand up routine. Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted April 7, 2025 Posted April 7, 2025 2 hours ago, Vamp said: I stuck with it through all 6 because I wasn't feeling well and didn't have the energy to fanny about looking for something else but I did find it strangely interesting. It's odd to watch comedians making a big deal at not laughing at other people's jokes when you don't find them funny anyway. It was also interesting that they were all asked to do "routines" and all of them opted to do a strange performance art piece rather than a stand up routine. I thought those bits were hit and miss but Bob Mortimer and Joe Wilkinson's ones were very funny. I thought Bob made the whole show watchable and made it a decent laugh. The other comedians were actually scared of him even coming over to chat to them because he will set them off. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 (edited) 3 hours ago, Vamp said: they were all asked to do "routines" and all of them opted to do a strange performance art piece rather than a stand up routine. I'm guessing that's because they didn't want to be on TV burning through their act with no cunt laughing. Edited April 7, 2025 by gmoney Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2025 Ahh god, they're really going through with it, aren't they. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted April 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2025 It will be cancelled quicker than Lozza Fox giving a talk to long term Guardian readers. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2025 How long before Nigel Farage gets the "hey he's a cunt but he's actually quite funny!!!" guest slot. I'll give it 4 episodes. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.