Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

Dan's effectively finished. He's still somewhere in the U-Bend but it's one of those ones where the waters just taking a little bit longer to drain away than usual. You can't see him and you'd struggle to know he was there, and any minute now that last, final flush will dislodge him and carry him into the rancid depths of the sewer. 

Thank you for your service Dan. We'll call you. 

2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Now i know that my opinion on podcasts (that they are all degrees of shit and are the reality TV to audiobooks' scripted shows) is reasonably unpopular

It may be unpopular but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Something I’m reminded of with every passing post. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

But even if you like them a podcast festival surely sounds like a fucking pointless ordeal?

Back when I used to work gaming events we'd often bring them in as a bonus, or an evening upsell "See a live version of your favorite D&D podcast" type of deal, similar to how we'd have live music, comedy acts, a wrestling show once etc.

Those were always really fun, and they're mixed with exclusive demos of upcoming games from big publsihers, indie games, retro games, tournaments so it made total sense to me. That looks like an absolutely tedious experience, with seemingly very little crossover in theme beyond "it's popular"

I get the podcast as a live medium, it’s basically ‘an evening with’ that they can make a few quid on but has there ever been a live podcast that didn’t sound like absolute dogshit on a technical level? Even Conan’s live ones are a bit ropey.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

has there ever been a live podcast that didn’t sound like absolute dogshit on a technical level?

The It's Always Sunny ones look (or sound) great but I'm going to say that's because they have a big boy budget.

I usually swerve the live episodes on even my regular favourite pods (Socially Distant Sports Bar, you are the worst offender) as they always sound rubbish.

• Paid Members

I've been to some fun live podcast recordings, but they're never episodes I'd enjoy listening to outside of the live setting, it just doesn't really translate, and an audience Q&A is the worst part of any live event ever.

I went to see Three Bean Salad at the London Podcast Festival a couple of times, and they were great. It's only a "festival" in that it's a couple of days of live podcasts, but they're all individual events, you're not buying a ticket for a whole weekend and doing nothing but watching podcasts get recorded the whole time

Wrestle Me had an early live show that was not recorded which sounds fun as they went into a bunch of wrestling stories that might have had law suits thrown at them. The live ones they have released, like mentioned above didn't really translate though and as a listener you just want them back in the studio with no crowd.

• Paid Members

Athletico Mince is a superb podcast, and I won't hear anything to the contrary.

I recently discovered The Bookseller Podcast, which, sadly, stopped once the pandemic hit and was never renewed, but it's still good to listen to - the production values are actually quite high. Strongly recommended.

• Paid Members

Add me to the 'live podcasts are shite' gang. The live episodes of the Empire podcast are always pretty bad, and to make matters worse feature a crowd laughing their arses off at the already-unfunny Chris Hewitt's terrible jokes.

I've enjoyed the live Cheapshow pods but then it's familiar territory for them, both are former stand-ups and already have worked on similar shows on YouTube.

Pretty sure I've found myself skipping through others like Underconsoletation though.

• Paid Members

The live episodes of Off Menu were great. Some things lend themselves to a live format and some don't. When the podcasters are already established performers it helps no end, though the live episodes of Chris Ramsey and his missus do strain that observation considerably. 

• Paid Members

I went to the first live Underconsoletation, and it was fun because they did live challenges and involved the audience with things. But, again, that's all about making it work in the room, whereas I'm not sure how that would have come across listening to the recording.

The other podcasts I've seen live, that I can think of, were Three Bean Salad, Off Menu, and How Did This Get Made. There's probably another one I'm forgetting. But they worked because, as you say, at least some of the hosts of each of them are stand-ups and already accustomed to working a room. A live show when it's just two people chatting with limited or no experience of working in front of a crowd I can imagine being a very different thing. 

But, again, that's me watching them live, I've never had any desire to go back and listen to them again, and live episodes tend to be among my least favourite otherwise. And, I can't reiterate this enough, audience Q&As are the worst.

• Paid Members

RHLSTP is pretty good, I think. But largely in line with what Pat was saying - Richard Herring is an experienced stand-up, so he makes it work.