Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

51 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

I've just seen the trailer for the remake of The Crow. I'm a huge fan of the original and the trailer had done absolutely nothing to inspire any confidence that the remake will be as good or better.

Does this exist yet? I'm getting nothing. 

The hubbub over The Crow remake is fucking ridiculous. I loved the original when I was 16, but it's aged terribly, bears little relation to it's source material and pretty much exists solely as an awkward memorial to Brandon Lee.

Does Skarsgard look a bit weird to me, a 43 year old man and not a moody teenager? Yes Garth. How does he look to the film's target market? Dunno Garth, ask the Goth kids down the park.

One thing I do know is that Alex Proyas can fuck right off. Imagine mocking someone else's film when the last thing you did of consequence was Gods of Egypt. Get to fuck!

Edited by BrodyGraham

10 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

The hubbub over The Crow remake is fucking ridiculous. I loved the original when I was 16, but it's aged terribly, bears little relation to it's source material and pretty much exists solely as an awkward memorial to Brandon Lee.

Does Sarsgaard look a bit weird to me a 43 year old man and not a moody teenager? Yes Garth. How does he look to the film's target market? Dunno Garth, ask the Goth kids down the park.

One thing I do know is that Alex Proyas can fuck right off. Imagine mocking someone else's film when the last thing you did of consequence was Gods of Egypt. Get to fuck!

Definitely agree with you on Proyas and people having a laugh off Skarsgård's look probably missing that it's probably going to appeal to a younger generation. 

I still love The Crow though. It came out at the perfect time and perfect age for me and is pretty close to The Matrix in terms of being a stylistic, moody shit sandwich of everything I found cool at the time. Unlike The Matrix, it's admittedly aged horribly, but I'll always have a soft spot for it and think the atmosphere of it is still genuinely stunning in parts. 

It's also got that bit where mid-revenge on his girlfriend's killers, he takes some time out to play guitar solos on the roof of his gaf in the pissing rain for a bit. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Fair enough, hold my hands up to that one, but my point is that The Crow doesn't need a remake, it's just another sign that Hollywood is becoming lazier and lazier.

Did you know The Wizard of Oz was a remake?

Yeah the "Hollywood is becoming lazy" narrative because of sequels/remakes is silly. Hollywood has always been lazy. Go back to the studio system and churning a bazillion Westerns out because they were quick and easy and all about the money. And yep sequels and remakes have been around for forever too.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah the "Hollywood is becoming lazy" narrative because of sequels/remakes is silly. Hollywood has always been lazy. Go back to the studio system and churning a bazillion Westerns out because they were quick and easy and all about the money. And yep sequels and remakes have been around for forever too.

I dunno, it just feels, to me at least, that if they wanted to do another Crow story, they could have done a sequel rather than rehash the original. And yes, I'm aware of the awful sequels. This franchise has had worse sequels than the Kim family.

Edited by CharlesTuckerTheThird
Remembered the Crow Sequels, sorry.

48 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

I dunno, it just feels, to me at least, that if they wanted to do another Crow story, they could have done a sequel rather than rehash the original. And yes, I'm aware of the awful sequels. This franchise has had worse sequels than the Kim family.

It's not a rehash of the Brandon Lee movie though. It's a different take on the original comic book.