Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

19 hours ago, BomberPat said:

and an audience Q&A is the worst part of any live event ever.

I know you've reiterated it yourself but it can't be understated in my view. A small event featuring a band with the inevitable "when will you play X festival?" and "can you do a gig in (insert small provincial town here)?" and so on. Sometimes there'll be something interesting asked but more often than not it's nonsense. In many cases it's just "oooh I've got a chance to ask this person a question!" and it's just nothing. I think that "and now we will field some questions from the audience" can absolutely be applied to "things you know will be shit".

• Moderators

I've been seeing an increase in live music gigs for small artists having meet-and-greet or dinner-with opportunities and despite having never been to one I have confidence that those absolutely qualify for this thread.

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've been seeing an increase in live music gigs for small artists having meet-and-greet or dinner-with opportunities and despite having never been to one I have confidence that those absolutely qualify for this thread.

The only good one of this type of thing was Kevin Nash having lunch with those middle aged women. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Add me to the 'live podcasts are shite' gang. The live episodes of the Empire podcast are always pretty bad, and to make matters worse feature a crowd laughing their arses off at the already-unfunny Chris Hewitt's terrible jokes.

I've attended a couple, in Glasgow and in Edinburgh, and they were fun to be at - the guests being Michael Palin and Jack Lowden respectively helped - but a lot of the fun feeling wasn't there when I listened back.

I always slightly dread when I'm catching up on other podcasts and I know a live one is coming up. Plumbing The Death Star had the right idea at the Edinburgh Fringe a few years ago, they did a show in the format of their podcast but didn't record it so it was live audience only.

• Paid Members

the only good Q&A I've seen was with Garth Marenghi, and I was dreading it because I assumed (not entirely incorrectly) that it would be full of people trying to play along with the joke but being fucking terrible at it.

The reason it was good is that someone started by saying, "Hi Garth, big fan", and he just replied, "Yes". 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

the only good Q&A I've seen was with Garth Marenghi, and I was dreading it because I assumed (not entirely incorrectly) that it would be full of people trying to play along with the joke but being fucking terrible at it.

The reason it was good is that someone started by saying, "Hi Garth, big fan", and he just replied, "Yes". 

Was that the Terrortome event? That was hilarious.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Always going to be a difficult balance - you don't want people asking Matthew Holness questions either. For me, that whole event was almost kayfabe-like, and it's why I enjoyed it - the audience weren't just in on the joke, they were maintaining the illusion.

(When I got my copy signed afterwards, I told him 'I saw a film recently by someone I believe you know called 'Possum', that I also thought was excellent' - he responded 'Yeah, it's okay, I guess. I'd have done it differently.')