AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members

Big fan of the Throne Breaker moment. Anything that's a big "Fuck You" to the big lads, I'm all for it. I'm not too keen on it being turned into a marketing campaign though but we'll see where it goes.

I wonder if this will turn into a story? Cody faces, and defeats, a line of Attitude Era alumni until he has an open challenge at a big PPV to finally kill it off for good, and that's where a megastar from that era makes an appearance, one-off or otherwise.

Then with the AE-Era done with and a sizable fan base cultivated due to lapsed fans tuning in to see their old faves but staying for the fresh faces, they can leave it all in the dust...

That is until Cody reveals that A-E-WRESTLING actually stands for ATTITUDE...ERA...WRESTING and that Russo was right all along! McMahon and Cody are in cahoots! Queue riots in the streets etc etc.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I'm not quite sure I believe Cody when he says he was only smashing the throne to say he is an in-ring competitor rather than an executive. It was a cheap dig at WWE whatever way you look at it. 

Exactly, especially when the throne in question has one of the most recognisable design themes in wrestling.

It's just something that I could really do without. I realise they're not TNA levels of shit quite yet, but it does remind me of the mistakes that TNA made, and that's something I'd much rather they had the sense to avoid. If they could stand on their own two feet as a brand and not rely on cheapshots etc it'd be a breath of fresh air really.

How can you say they're "not quite TNA levels of shit" when they've had one show, which has garnered both critical and commercial levels of success? Because they spent 1 minute of their 4 hour show to break a throne in a cringe-worthy spot? Talk about trying to over exaggerate. 

Meh, while it was pretty shite in execution, I have no problem with them taking shots. They're the upstarts, they should be throwing shade at times at the old and boring. Not TNA levels of course, but the odd bit of needle every now and then is fun.

• Paid Members

I think, the TNA and AEW comparisons start and end with this. AEW does little things wrong. Like comedy in the pre-show and the odd WWE references. But ultimately, their big matches are the selling point and at this point delivered. TNA used to do the big things wrong. Like getting the results wrong or the direction of the company putting viewers off. Every promotion has daft shite, but the cons cant outweigh the positives, and from TNA's first show that was never the case.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

21 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

How can you say they're "not quite TNA levels of shit" when they've had one show, which has garnered both critical and commercial levels of success? Because they spent 1 minute of their 4 hour show to break a throne in a cringe-worthy spot? Talk about trying to over exaggerate. 

What else am I supposed to judge on then other than what they put in front of me?

In an already over-flooded market, where my time is already stretched enough as it is between WWE, NXT, New Japan etc, I've dropped TNA because of their lack of consistency and general inability to be anything remotely relevant these days. I used to love the X-Division and I felt as a company they treated the UK market far better than WWE did, and yet over time I just completely lost interest. It went through cycles of being promising, some of it was actually pretty decent and I didn't even mind if some of it was shit in an entertaining way. But now it's just sort of there and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all.

So I'll form my opinions based on what I see and what I personally want to see from a new company like AEW in order to decide if it's something additional I want to follow or even if I believe it's worth giving up something I already watch for. That's all anyone can do right? So while it might be an over-exaggeration to you, it's something that bothers me as a fan that doesn't want to see the same mistakes pop up, and while it won't stop me from watching at the moment I do think it's a bad move for them.

It's no surprise that a new company claiming to change the game and looking to be real competition will come under great scrutiny, especially to long term fans who have seen it all over the years.

Is there any info on their TV yet. Can't remember if it is live or taped. Also I do wonder where they will film as I can't imagine at first they can get all the hardcore fans at every taping if its massive arenas hopefully they use 3000-4000 seat venues or a bit smaller like Nitro did at first perhaps in what WWE considers 2nd rate towns not good enough for TV as that could pay off in the long term 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What else am I supposed to judge on then other than what they put in front of me?

In an already over-flooded market, where my time is already stretched enough as it is between WWE, NXT, New Japan etc, I've dropped TNA because of their lack of consistency and general inability to be anything remotely relevant these days. I used to love the X-Division and I felt as a company they treated the UK market far better than WWE did, and yet over time I just completely lost interest. It went through cycles of being promising, some of it was actually pretty decent and I didn't even mind if some of it was shit in an entertaining way. But now it's just sort of there and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all.

So I'll form my opinions based on what I see and what I personally want to see from a new company like AEW in order to decide if it's something additional I want to follow or even if I believe it's worth giving up something I already watch for. That's all anyone can do right? So while it might be an over-exaggeration to you, it's something that bothers me as a fan that doesn't want to see the same mistakes pop up, and while it won't stop me from watching at the moment I do think it's a bad move for them.

It's no surprise that a new company claiming to change the game and looking to be real competition will come under great scrutiny, especially to long term fans who have seen it all over the years.

Scrutinise them all you want, we're up to 45 pages of scrutiny. But he's right - the TNA comment is bollocks. If you're judging them on what you see then nothing from the company so far suggests they're "not quiet TNA levels of shit". In fact, there's no comparison to be had with TNA at all. The only thing they've got in common with TNa is not being WWE. Otherwise compare the buzz, venue, TV model, attendance, buyrate, production, lighting, roster, etc from the two as start-ups and it doesn't compare in the slightest.

15 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Scrutinise them all you want, we're up to 45 pages of scrutiny. But he's right - the TNA comment is bollocks. If you're judging them on what you see then nothing from the company so far suggests they're "not quiet TNA levels of shit". In fact, there's no comparison to be had with TNA at all. The only thing they've got in common with TNa is not being WWE. Otherwise compare the buzz, venue, TV model, attendance, buyrate, production, lighting, roster, etc from the two as start-ups and it doesn't compare in the slightest.

From my perspective it's not bollocks. TNA was often touted as the next real potential competitor to WWE. A real alternative etc etc. Hell even I bought into it on occasion, thinking maybe something like the X-Division and tag team wrestling and AJ/Joe etc .. even the womens roster from time to time was enough to give a flicker of hope. Obviously it wasn't but yes, I'm looking at the bigger picture of TNA because hindsight and all that. It's still the closest I personally have in terms of a comparable business that had an opportunity to give Vince a run for his money and win me over.

Ideally the real scrutiny should begin once they've started doing their weekly show and we have a much better idea of their overall product and capabilities, but hey we've got to pass the time somehow between now and then, so debating a t-shirt it is.