Ashley Massaro Dead at 39

Retro Red

• Paid Members

Looking back at some of the reporting, it looks like the details (which are hugely important for a story like this) weren't really reported - it was covered that she joined the lawsuit, was alleging a lack of care, and that she'd been sexually assaulted at a military base.

Since 'sexually assaulted' can cover a lot of ground, you'd have to read the affadavit for the full details, and you'd assume you already have the key points. The seriousness of the incident makes this story stand out, and really should have been the headline.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

How was this not more of a story at the time of her testimony?

Because the lawyer was a charlatan who piled lies and lies ontop of some truths.  It's a shame, because out of those 50 wrestlers who were part of that lawsuit, so many had no business suing WWE and it meant the 10 or so who probably did have any business suing WWE lost out.

Call me what you will but I had to stop reading. 

Honestly is every c**t in that company evil? 

How they're still in business is beyond me? 

Quite honestly i think the wwe & wrestling in general has had its day now and I'd be happy to see the wwe die off and be punished for what literally are criminal offences and illegal working practices 

• Paid Members

I don't understand how something as public as this isn't a major, major story. I'd never heard of it until I read it this morning. 

Every time I see that Vice thread on here, I have the same thought - Why, when all of these disgraceful stories are public knowledge, is the industry not subject to massive scrutiny?

Interesting question posed by @Keith Houchen and one I'm considering seriously. I follow their two TV shows every week via YouTube or reports. I do it mostly out of habit and in hope that it will be something I love again at some point. I don't spend money to "support" it and could live without it easily. 

Where I am supporting them is subscribing to the Network. Stopping that would genuinely hurt me. I use it to relive moments that I adore, events that have filled my life with joy and take me back to times when wrestling helped me escape my life. It's important to me. Yet if it's anywhere near true, this story, more than any other, has made me feel ashamed of that "support".

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Where I am supporting them is subscribing to the Network. Stopping that would genuinely hurt me. I use it to relive moments that I adore, events that have filled my life with joy and take me back to times when wrestling helped me escape my life. It's important to me. Yet if it's anywhere near true, this story, more than any other, has made me feel ashamed of that "support".

Completely echoing my thoughts at the moment Rick. I'm Network-only and totally torn. 

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Completely echoing my thoughts at the moment Rick. I'm Network-only and totally torn. 

This is where I’m at too. I hardly watch these days as it is (I did watch WrestleMania this year) I’m considering cancelling the network but then would I a) achieve anything and b) be cutting my nose off to spite my face. I’m pleased I’m not the only one (of a similar age group) thinking like this.

That truly is so sad. WWE is an evil company and should be brought down. Seriously this treatment to there workers has to be put out there. 

I was never the biggest Ashley Massaro fan but I feel so sorry for her with what she went through. She would have been so much better off never doing the Diva Search. I've always known Stephanie McMahon was a bitch but she really is a fucking vile cunt. You can see the evil in her when she "smiles". Just straight up bad person. And as far as Vince goes, he is someone i've always liked and his voice feels like hes part of my family as its been in my household since 1990 but now he can go fuck himself the fucking evil bastard.

Karma will get these people for all the bad they have done to the men and women and I hope it happens soon.

It's shit like this that deserves that #cancelwwenetwork trend on twitter and with people actually cancelling. But wrestling fans think its a bigger travesty for someone not being in a Royal Rumble than someone being raped.

I feel so sad for Ashley. And makes her death so much more heartbreaking.

• Paid Members

I have also just cancelled the network. I watch nearly everything they put out bar 205 Live and I even enjoyed paying for it. I'll like my money to go to things I enjoy. I never thought I'd do that but this is the straw that broke the camels back. The negligence is astounding but the way she was treated after the rape and Vince's active participation in covering it up I can't overlook. They aren't getting my money again. At least not until Vince is dead and gone. I'm also unsubscribing to all their precious social media. Which leads me to ask does WWE own UP UP DOWN DOWN? I know its on the network but is it actually theirs?

• Paid Members

I'd already found the Saudi propaganda to be the last straw, but I'm very aware of how there's never been an easier time to switch to alternatives. It was tough to move away from 'well, I'm a fan of this specific wrestler', etc, but I've decided that if they know all this shit and they want to keep working for them, they're part of the problem.

WWE have released a statement pointing out that Ashley Massaro emailed them after the lawsuit failed, apologising for having been part of it and that it all got out of hand. Of course, that's not the same as saying it didn't happen, and WWE haven't denied it happened. I'm really hoping this story gets picked up by journalists and they start being asked outright to deny it.

They also rehired Maria Kanellis the year after Massaro's testimony. I don't think Jimmy Hart works there any more, but I can't see him ever rocking the boat. I almost tweeted Foley, considering his past with supporting RAINN, but who am I kidding? Nobody who has a stake in it is going to confirm this story.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

I'd already found the Saudi propaganda to be the last straw, but I'm very aware of how there's never been an easier time to switch to alternatives. It was tough to move away from 'well, I'm a fan of this specific wrestler', etc, but I've decided that if they know all this shit and they want to keep working for them, they're part of the problem.

WWE have released a statement pointing out that Ashley Massaro emailed them after the lawsuit failed, apologising for having been part of it and that it all got out of hand. Of course, that's not the same as saying it didn't happen, and WWE haven't denied it happened. I'm really hoping this story gets picked up by journalists and they start being asked outright to deny it.

Someone contact John Oliver