Ashley Massaro Dead at 39

Retro Red

• Paid Members

Wow! I've been aware of some of the allegations that ex employees(or contractors, to use WWE's definition) have thrown at the company, but seeing what this poor woman had to go through in black and white is sickening. 

What is the Medicare that she mentioned in the statement? Im I right in assuming it's some sort of charity/scheme for people without health insurance or means to pay the ridiculous medical costs over there?

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

What is the Medicare that she mentioned in the statement? Im I right in assuming it's some sort of charity/scheme for people without health insurance or means to pay the ridiculous medical costs over there?

Medicare is healthcare for over 65s. She was on Medicaid, which is healthcare for people on low incomes. For New York, she'd probably have had to be earning something like under £14,000.

• Paid Members

Not watched WWE in several years now. The Saudi thing further reduced any inkling I had that I might start watching again, but I think I can safely say I will never watch WWE again. I don't think I'll forget I posted this, but if I do, someone please remind me.

• Paid Members

I've spent all day with this popping back in my mind every few minutes and I've yet to cease feeling livid about it.

Such a repugnant series of failures by one company and a few individuals to show even a hint of decency, despite plenty of opportunities to correct it. No doubt Massaro was given the label of "difficult" and "bitter" because she dared to raise such apparently trivial things like her safety in a dangerous work place and rape.

As Ian posted on the other page, we shouldn't be surprised, but when you see people dying at 39 after being tossed aside, it makes you want to throw Vince and co in a room filled with sneezers for an eternity.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
On 5/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, Wretch said:

Ashley's affidavit.

https://t.co/pf4cgyb5Rj?amp=1

Heartbreaking, grim reading.

Jesus, that is some uncomfortable reading.

TBF back in the day she was in the WWE, I would have been one of those who would have ragged on her calling her "Thrashley" and having no talent other than being an advert for anorexia. But reading that affidavit, no one needs to put up with that shit telling someone with no ring experience whatsoever to go into matches broadcast on live TV while also being told not to train on her off days. That doesn't even include the number of injuries she racked up, something down to her lack of experience which wasn't in this case really her fault, nor the horror of getting raped in a US army camp in the Middle East whilst under heavy sedation and the events concerning it afterwards. Her story of getting chewed up and being spat out by the Vince McMahon machine is far from the first and certainly won't be the last, but this one is quite disturbing given the story she gives on being raped in a helpless position and then being told by the boss that it was "one bad incident" that she should take for the WWE. That's just fucked up.

R.I.P. Ashley.

P.S. In the affidavit near the beginning she mentions picking up a back injury from a stiff backbreaker in a bout from an "experienced" female wrestler, I wonder who that was? Looking at the list of matches she was in for the first few months would the likely suspect be Victoria? Doesn't seem to be Trish Stratus given Ashley's comments on her later.

Edited by PJ Power

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

P.S. In the affidavit near the beginning she mentions picking up a back injury from a stiff backbreaker in a bout from an "experienced" female wrestler, I wonder who that was? Looking at the list of matches she was in for the first few months would the likely suspect be Victoria? Doesn't seem to be Trish Stratus given Ashley's comments on her later.

Looking at her Cagematch profile, seems the only matches she worked during that period were singles against Victoria or tags with Trish against Victoria and another diva search girl. So its definitely Victoria. I thought of her as soon as I read it. She was pretty much the female Benoit in that locker room.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Chris B said:

How was this not more of a story at the time of her testimony?

Pretty much everyone who ever brings cases against them or says anything about their practices is dismissed as "bitter" or a "troublemaker", and I seem to remember similar things were said about her at the time. 

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Looking at her Cagematch profile, seems the only matches she worked during that period were singles against Victoria or tags with Trish against Victoria and another diva search girl. So its definitely Victoria. I thought of her as soon as I read it. She was pretty much the female Benoit in that locker room.

Was Victoria known for being a nutter? I never heard that before, assumed that as she came in via being one of Godfather's extras she wouldn't have that sort of mentality.