Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the Fun House. It was easily the best thing on an otherwise bad show, exactly the type of bonkers, meta nonsense it needed to be, and the “such good shit!” line was brilliant. I dunno though. It didn’t have the same charm and was nowhere near as fun as the Boneyard match.

Still the closest thing to, “putting a smile on my face,” but I’m not sure I’d ever want to see another one, whereas I’ve already fantasy booked the next three Boneyard matches.

Fucking hell that Last Man Standing Match though. Absolutely dreadful. Up there with Bret vs. Vince for feeling like it went on forever, eventually making you hate everyone involved. I can’t believe that was pre-taped and no-one suggested cutting it in half at the least. Has there ever been a Wrestlemania match that had such a good build up but turned out to be so bad on the night? Poor Edge. Nine years off for that.

I'm in agreement with Supes there - Funhouse was funny as hell but I still preferred the Taker stuff the previous night. I didn't mind Edge/Orton but I definitely zoned out for about a third of it and basically had it on as background noise. Works better that way(!) Skipped or fast-forwarded through a lot of the other stuff, and weird to see Drew/Brock laid out exactly the same as Goldberg/Braun the night before! Was Drew the only performer on the entire two-night thing that actually looked into the camera and talked to the audience (Cena doesn't count because he always does that)? If that was deliberate, it felt much more meaningful because of it. Good lad.

Are they really going to do a Money in the Bank PPV with no crowd? Ewww.

• Paid Members

Is it possible for Dave Meltzer to rate that match?

42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The only thing I didn’t get was NWO Cena. Otherwise I’m so glad they let Tim and Eric into the WWE for one night.

I thought it was meant to represent the Cena heel turn that never happened and the arsehole side of his personality. Was also just wild to see an alternate reality NWO Cena as part of a match.

I hope this is what finally does turn him and he comes back for the Rock/Batista movie star heel run for Hollywood mania next year. 

Fuck. Holy Shit! Right, ok...let;s draw back to when we had a load of these Fireflly Funhouse segments post WrestleMania last year and suddenly everyone was loving Bray, praising his creativity, ingenuity and how he was going to change wrestling, rahrahrah...Then some (like Pitcos - were like, cool concept, but how will it relate to arenas full of people? Valid point! and it quickly became clear that, for all the cool ideas Bray might have, they may not quite work in that desired environment. Then covid-19 happens and changes everything and the way pro-wrestling is forced to be presented to the masses. Suddenly this is a new viable approach to getting over characters. The best received footage from this weekend was boneyard and funhouse, wwe should listen to that.

Edited by GeronimoJacksBeard
I started this post drunk, finished it very drunk!

Oh my days! The Funhouse match was very different to the Boneyard match, and just as brilliant. Full surreal madness. Loved it. No idea what normals would’ve thought of it, mind, it was completely aimed at wankers like us. Massive kudos to the two of them for the creativity and performances there. And proper big dick energy from Cena, being up for a pisstake of his whole career to put someone over. A lot more memorable and impactful than a loss in the stadium would’ve been.

Echoing what Maxwell said earlier in the thread, I don’t know if this stuff will work when the shows are back in front of a crowd, so we should relish these two. When you pay your WrestleMania ticket money, it’s not to watch a video of a match for half an hour. And even from a TV viewing perspective, it’s hard to follow something like that with a normal match. McIntyre vs Lesnar was pretty much going through the motions for a big Lesnar title match, nothing unexpected there. I can’t imagine anyone was watching that and not still thinking about the funhouse match.

Ian hit the nail on the head with Edge vs Orton. Went on forever and so dull. I think this one suffered due to the Boneyard battle the night before. It was out of the ring weapon/environment wackiness, but very much of the standard wrestling fare, and without a big memorable spot like Owens the night before. I figure it was meant to be the most dramatic, serious match on the show... The drama just didn’t come across like it had in the build up though. Crazy how Edge looks in much better shape than he did twenty years ago, mind.

The Otis stuff would’ve been so much better with a crowd. Which is the case for almost everything on the two nights.

Fair play to them for putting on the event, and turning the situation into a massive positive for a couple of the megastar matches. For Drew, it’s a shame it played out like this. For Braun, I’d say the same except if there’d been a crowd, it wouldn’t have been him in the Universal match anyway.

18 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

If every Bray PPV match is even a 5-7 minute match piece like that they're going to finally have their next star. 

It won’t be, and he won’t be. It was a fantastic culmination of circumstance and talent - there aren’t many he could have that kind of match with. Triple H and Undertaker for sure, but it seems unlikely.

When things are back to normal, Bray will be doing what he’s been doing for the last year, but that doesn’t take away from how special this match was. This WrestleMania will surely be the most meme-inspiring of all time.

The Boneyard Match and The Funhouse made this event utterly worth it. Loved both of them.

Completely agree we need Sting/Taker in a Boneyard match next year. I want to see Sting buried and emerge with the blonde hair and mask facepaint. This shit books itself!

4 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

It won’t be, and he won’t be. It was a fantastic culmination of circumstance and talent - there aren’t many he could have that kind of match with. Triple H and Undertaker for sure, but it seems unlikely.

When things are back to normal, Bray will be doing what he’s been doing for the last year, but that doesn’t take away from how special this match was. This WrestleMania will surely be the most meme-inspiring of all time.

Yep, I don't doubt for one minute that service will have resumed to normal within months. Just wishful thinking. 

• Paid Members

The boneyard match and firefly house match were very different from the norm, but also very different from each other. The boneyard match was ultimately an anything goes match outside with WWE movie effects. The firefly house was a crackers dream like when Bill & Ted go to hell and meet the reaper. It was an elaborate vignette.

I enjoyed them both for what they were. Just fun to watch. But I absolutely don’t want them to do it again. The ‘fun’ buzz was due to them being very different as concepts, not the actual matches with in the concepts.

If they do it again, then that buzz won’t be there for me as they’ll just be rehashing the concept. I don’t want to see the same stuff again with different people instead of AJ/Cena.

I’m all for using different people in different settings. Austin on his ranch or a bar, the Rock on a movie set, whatever, I’m cool with the concept as long as they are different. But I don’t want to see another firefly house or boneyard match again anytime soon.

Just for reference, I’m a massive, massive fan of the Hollywood backlot brawl. One of my favourite ever mania matches. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

utterly baffled at the universal twitter praise that Fun House thing is getting

There's a theory going round that different people like different things.