The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

We don’t even have a thread for it, but a match on Main Event this week is interesting - Dolph Ziggler v Tyler Bate (unless you hate both of course).

Really un-WWE match and lots of interesting selling and holds.

But Tyler Bate now looks like he’s singing Eurovision in his pants.  Just a terrible jobber look.

• Paid Members

I believe I'm in the minority from what I see on social media, but I think she's a bloody awful ring announcer.

The odd accents(?) she does when introducing Kaiser & Vinci (as seen there) properly piss me off.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Statto said:

I believe I'm in the minority from what I see on social media, but I think she's a bloody awful ring announcer.

The odd accents(?) she does when introducing Kaiser & Vinci (as seen there) properly piss me off.

This the current woman that did all/most of Wrestlemania? If so, she's one of the worst, if not the worst, I've ever heard. I had to start muting her after a while. 

Give me people messing up words or getting names wrong, any day of the week over a screaming match like that. Same as Pat McAfee on Comms. Art Donovan was better. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

This the current woman that did all/most of Wrestlemania? If so, she's one of the worst, if not the worst, I've ever heard. I had to start muting her after a while. 

Yep, that's her. Social media fucking loves her for some reason.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Nick James said:

Every announcer these days tries to mimic the god awful Justin Roberts and his pronunciation of 'John Cena' or 'John Moxley' with the faux gravelly voice. Awful. 

I have to say since he’s AEW run, I actually have come to really like Justin Roberts. Probably the best RA in wrestling right now, although maybe that speaks more about current talent. However that Samatha woman is bloody awful and doing the announcing sitting down is proper Indy level shit. Get in the bin.

• Paid Members

👍 Sikoa/Riddle - Action-packed with a good pace maintained from start to end and had a proper big-fight feel for the duration. Some effective use of the various items of plunder whereby Riddle had something of an equaliser against the bare-handed brutality of Sikoa. He almost fought off the Usos and Sikoa by himself towards the end, which I think was necessary to further re-establish him as a threat as the feud continues. Solo continues to be very reliable in these TV main event spots. Strange they wouldn’t give Riddle some sort of backup against the Usos even if Sami/KO weren’t booked, but that minor grip aside, great way to close proceedings and the tag title and six man tag matches coming up over the next couple of weeks will be electric. A ripper. 

👍 IC title - Bloody fantastic. Woods sold beautifully throughout and was forced to dig deep to fight off and even just to keep up with the dominant champion. Gunther, as ever, looked like an absolute killer. Perhaps a slightly anti-climatic finish if we’re being really picky, but only because I was incredibly invested in the match and could have watched them tussle for even longer. The result was perhaps fairly easy to telegraph, but it was still a strong, decisive and clean win without any interference or nefarious means from Gunther. Woods loses nothing after showing such bravery. Good shit. 

👍 Priest/Balor vs Mysterio/Escobar - Highly energetic opener and once again Smackdown has employed the Fatty Facesitter cheat code of a red-hot tag opener. Crowd were all over it and all four performers had their moments. You could argue that Santos and the LWO taking another loss doesn’t do the reformed stable many favours, but I think they’ll get their moment in the sun alongside Bad Bunny at Backlash. Rey still has such a zest for performing at the moment and it’s a joy to watch. 

👍 Shinsuke/Kross vignette - For Shin’s part, they should have rolled that out before his actual return because it made him look like such a star. Kross’ part was well produced too - it might be a bit of a stretch to some people that they covered up many of Kross' losses by having him take away things like ‘temperament’ from opponents instead of actual wins, but I didn’t mind this as a way to re-establish his aura. 

👍 Strowman/Ricochet vs Viking Raiders - There was a pretty bad botch/miscommunication just before the break with Strowman throwing Ricochet into the ring and totally missing the opponents, but aside from that there were some really good moments in this from all four performers and they turned the match round following that little hiccup. Ricochet’s output is of a really good standard at the moment and this partnership with Strowman is making for a really good showcase for both of them. The Raiders did their part too - bumping around for Braun, but they were also to keep up with Ricochet’s pace. 

👎 Women’s tag titles - I'll start with some positives here before I get to the negative element. I do like Deville/Green’s work as a shithousing heel duo, and all four put in a ton of effort here and although the execution at times wasn’t picture perfect, this was far better than I expected. However, while the match itself perhaps overdelivered - it had a very questionable finish with the babyfaces cheating. This does contradict something I mentioned last week when talking about Xavier Woods cheating against LA Knight, but to me it made sense when Woods - an established yet slightly cheeky babyface figure - pulled a fast one on LA Knight last week. In this context with two babyface champions that you're trying to build up, it doesn't really work. Also Liv Morgan continues to be WWE's most annoying personality by a huge distance. Again, the match wasn't crap, but the finish should have been presented differently. 

Overall - A scintillating Smackers this week and the build towards next week’s show and Backlash is bubbling along very nicely. Some great matches to go with a great atmosphere this week. Lovely stuff. 

I’ve not seen the show and sounds from the review above that it went well but wasn’t Riddle/Sikoa the main event just last week? For all Trips has improved things his rematch tendency is tough going. Feel like Sikoa/KO has taken place on RAW about 4 times lately too.

On 4/19/2023 at 4:20 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have to say since he’s AEW run, I actually have come to really like Justin Roberts. Probably the best RA in wrestling right now, although maybe that speaks more about current talent. However that Samatha woman is bloody awful and doing the announcing sitting down is proper Indy level shit. Get in the bin.

It's almost as if Justin Roberts was produced badly and out of the WWE bubble he's good 

Samantha sounds like she's trying to start a fight everytime she's on the mic

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FUM said:

I’ve not seen the show and sounds from the review above that it went well but wasn’t Riddle/Sikoa the main event just last week? For all Trips has improved things his rematch tendency is tough going. Feel like Sikoa/KO has taken place on RAW about 4 times lately too.

Riddle/Sikoa last week was more an angle as part of a big brawl which also involved the Usos and KO/Sami. In this case they had more of an actual match and the stipulation really added to it. It also makes sense in the context of the feud, so in this case so give them a pass. 

Solo/KO have worked three Raw matches in the last three months - again though, as long as it makes sense in the context of the wider arc of the story I don’t mind this too much. None of the matches have been boring - it’s not quite a Kofi/Ziggler scenario all those years ago where they worked together about 100 times and none of it felt fresh. 

• Paid Members

I presume Tony Chimmell has retired now? I used to like his ring announcing. Penzer still does it in impact, and he does it well. Maybe Tripper/Vince should see whether Jeremy Borash is good to do their ring anouncing.

2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Riddle/Sikoa last week was more an angle as part of a big brawl which also involved the Usos and KO/Sami

They had a full match that lasted about 10 minutes and Solo won with a spike. The brawl was taking place during the match then Solo went wild.

Edited by FUM
Misremembered