The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I loved everything involving the WrestleZaynia T-shirts, calling back to the Honorary Uce T-shirt segment. Kevin revealing his own shirt was class. After the year we’ve had with this character, seeing Sami getting his flowers, looking so happy, was a genuine buzz. They’re going to sell a million of those shirts. Between that segment and Rey twatting Dom, it was just a really fun, happy show. Michael Cole squealing with delight as Dom hits the deck was pure joy. His best call in decades.

I don’t know whether to credit the rise of AEW, who do this type of feelgood booking all the time, or Vince getting the boot. Either way though this is the first Wrestlemania season in what feels like forever where they actually are putting smiles on people’s faces, rather than just saying it in corporate presentations.

Obvious low point on the show was Charlotte, seemingly undoing all the momentum they built with that brilliant brawl last week. I knew it was too good to be true. She was back doing this awful tweener character, droning on, looking silly for letting the, “what?” chants get to her. This…(what)…is always going to happen ..(what)…if you only have one style of promo….(what)…and are completely incapable…(what)…of improvising or adapting…(what)….beyond what you learnt in the Performance Center….(what).

Surely this seals the deal and they won’t be main eventing Night 1 with Charlotte and Rhea. The dynamic is a mess and the match is one of the coldest on the card. The only way I can imagine them closing the show is if they’re planning some type of double turn, where they expect Rhea to get cheered in victory, and are going with it. Wouldn’t be the worst idea.

I also can’t believe Ronda Rousey was willing to show her face. What a fall from grace. Relegated to a nothing, get-everyone-a-payday, filler match. I’d be so embarrassed.

Lashley announced for the Battle Royal suggests the Bray match is off. Maybe he’s done after all. Leave the memories alone. Thoughts and prayers to those who expected a satisfying conclusion to the Uncle Howdy saga (LOL). At least Lashley dodged a spooky bullet.

I neither hate him nor think he’s anywhere near as good as some claim, but there’s something there with LA Knight. He’s growing on me. If nothing else, I’d love for him to knock Miz’s block off in the first half hour and take over as host of Wrestlemania for the rest of the weekend. YEAH!

• Paid Members

Watched the show this morning, with the missus in the room. She commented that Sami looked genuinely excited about the shirt reveal, she was actually buzzing for how happy he was. The likeability of this pair is so natural and contagious.

Dominick is my heel of the year so far. What a thing to be able to say in a world where Roman reigns. Between his angle, the IC title triple threat and both Bloodline title matches, I just can't decide which match I'm most excited about on the Mania card. If Mania was still a one night, four hour show this year's would have been one of the greatest ever.

Dominik is literally on fire right now.

Although I am rooting for him as I hated my own dad and saw him as an awful man so I'm vicariously living through Dom and I just hope he gets to win over his dad. I never got my win over dad as that was taken away from me as he died of a heart attack. 

Do this for me Dom and go be with Mami back at the hotel celebrating in bed with Charlotte's belt. 

Some posts just shouldn’t be addressed so I’m not touching that one.

A cracking SmackDown as said. The pops Trips has been able to create by building up stories as opposed to just throwing things at the wall has been great at times. If it’s true he has the next year mapped out then I can’t wait to see what he has planned. He’s got me into people I never thought I would be interested in and given two of the top feuds in wrestling of the last 20 years.

Agree on the LA Knight comment, he just has something however much people want to say otherwise. I’m not sure if I like him or not but the crowd wasn’t entirely on Rey’s side during that match.

The next week of wrestling is really primed to be an excellent one.

• Paid Members

Not satisfied with having three different story strands hanging off the Bloodline saga, they've now created a fourth with Cody vs Solo. What a great subplot this is, playing into Cody's excellent psychology, and I'm sure the match on Monday will be superb too. They're not just planning for Wrestlemania, but for months afterwards as well.

Charlotte's promo was awful but they have to turn her heel because Rhea is going to be the babyface in that match. So the intention was good even if the execution wasn't. They should ban people from the building if they do the What? chant though. It's been a pox for over 20 years now.

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They're not just planning for Wrestlemania, but for months afterwards as well.

Charlotte's promo was awful but they have to turn her heel because Rhea is going to be the babyface in that match. So the intention was good even if the execution wasn't. They should ban people from the building if they do the What? chant though. It's been a pox for over 20 years now.

I am excited at all the different possibilities that are available to them in the coming months and the different dynamics in play if Roman loses. I genuinely don't have a clue who is going to win most of the top matches (I'm thinking Cody is locked in to win but who knows) and I'm glad because it means I can just enjoy the ride.

I'm also glad they've not been afraid to let stories breathe or give them a natural conclusion. We all wanted to see Rey hit Dominik, we all wanted to see Sami and KO hug. Giving the fans what they want instead of 'Lol swerve!!' as we so often see is refreshing.

Yeah Charlotte is incapable of being a babyface. It is never happening. 

Anybody still saying 'What!?' in 2023 needs a lifetime ban. I hate SSA for ever introducing that to pro wrestling. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ScottishSiren said:

Dominik is literally on fire right now.

Although I am rooting for him as I hated my own dad and saw him as an awful man so I'm vicariously living through Dom and I just hope he gets to win over his dad. I never got my win over dad as that was taken away from me as he died of a heart attack. 

Do this for me Dom and go be with Mami back at the hotel celebrating in bed with Charlotte's belt. 

sn4gnm8ilq091.gif

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Supremo said:

I also can’t believe Ronda Rousey was willing to show her face. What a fall from grace. Relegated to a nothing, get-everyone-a-payday, filler match. I’d be so embarrassed.

I don't disagree at all, she's terrible, but isn't she working with some sort of arm injury? If so she's probably being chucked into the multi-woman thing to hide her limitations (specifically the current injury ones, you can't hide her just generally being a bit shit).

Still though, the contrast between her two runs in WWE is staggering. It feels like she forgot everything that made her exciting the first time round and now is completely clueless. 

Edited by mim731

40 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Really fun show throughout, but I think the highlight was the Gunther/Butch/Sheamus/Drew segment. brutal match culminating in some beefy chaos. I've got a rager for that match.

I laughed out loud when Butch jumped onto Gunther as soon as Gunther turned his head toward him. I know they're already sort of half doing it with all the playfighting, but they should go full in for him on a "Your mate's really violent friend you have to tolerate on a night out" gimmick. 

2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I laughed out loud when Butch jumped onto Gunther as soon as Gunther turned his head toward him. I know they're already sort of half doing it with all the playfighting, but they should go full in for him on a "Your mate's really violent friend you have to tolerate on a night out" gimmick. 

Sad thing is the rumours seem to be that Butch will be reverting to Pete Dunne soon which is a shame as I think Butch is infinitely more interesting than Pete Dunne ever was.