The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

👍 World title business - A show long narrative with actual wrestling as the key driver? Thank you very much indeed, don't mind if I do. I think this was a much tougher execution on Smackdown compared to Raw where you effectively have three hours to let things breathe as opposed to two, but that said, all three matches delivered as a collective. The opener had some nice transitions between the three veterans, the second triple threat was more intense and physical, and the main event closed proceedings in a satisfactory manner with a slow build to a relatively logical finish. AJ vs Seth will be a fitting beginning for the new strap and a match that has tons of potential. Nothing blow-away spectacular during this set of matches, but all perfectly solid between six dependable performers and it made for a strong narrative to tie the show together very efficiently.

👍 Bloodline business - I might be the only person on the forum that doesn’t mind the continuation of the Bloodline saga as it drifts into new territory. I like the direction this is going - at Night of Champions, Roman either continues to add to his overall legacy and as a consequence also further elevates Solo alongside him, which I suspect is what will happen. Or, if KO and Sami retain, it not only further elevates them as they both finally get a proper win over Roman (perhaps via Solo taking the fall or the Usos accidentally fucking it up for them), and then you’re staring at a mad, paranoid Roman who lashes out against the Usos and the whole thing completely implodes and sets a new course/direction for Roman’s plans over the summer, possibly with Roman/Solo taking on the Usos for the straps and then possibly even singles encounters against both for Roman's titles. Whilst it has certainly run for a while, I think if you take Cody out of the equation and look at this purely from a Roman/Bloodline perspective, there’s absolutely still some juice left in this. 

👍 Cameron Grimes/NXT callups - TO THA MOOOOOOOOOOOOON! A perfect introduction not only for Grimes, but in general for the Smackers NXT callups. Yes, Waller, Pretty Deadly and the women’s tag champions only had backstage cameos, but notice how they essentially retained their aesthetic and personas, even their NAMES were kept the same?! Vince lounging around in his skids at home and Hunter in the chair tonight I suspect. That Grimes squash on Corbin was the absolute perfect way to showcase both him and his deadly finisher on Smackers. Waller and Pretty Deadly are going to be such great shithouse heels on Fridays. Love it.

👍 Women’s tag titles - You know what, I’m in a good mood this morning and I didn’t see a lot wrong with this. Match was fine especially considering they had a tough spot on the card right before the main event, it further teased dissension the ranks with Damage CTRL, and they teased with the NXT women’s tag champions as well. Liv Morgan continues to be WWE’s most annoying personality, but otherwise there really wasn’t anything to complain about here really. Potentially two angles advanced for the price of one. 

👎 Bianca/Asuka business - I should say right off the bat that I’m bang up for this rematch and Bianca sold the most spray magnificently, so you could call that side of it all a thumbs up. The reason for the thumbs down is purely because they made Bianca look quite gullible when it came to shaking Asuka’s hand. I’d have preferred either a sneak attack, a brawl or an another alternative execution before the mist strike. They do love to give their hometown stars a hard time, don’t they? 

Overall - A very pleasant Smackers indeed. Two recommendations from me to heighten your viewing experience - watch it first thing in the morning spoiler-free as opposed to live, and do it when your other half surprises you with breakfast in bed. You’ll have a spring in your step for the rest of the day.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

👍 Bloodline business - I might be the only person on the forum that doesn’t mind the continuation of the Bloodline saga as it drifts into new territory.

Not at all, it's still far and away the best thing going on in wrestling right now. Reigns and Sikoa going for the tag titles is a twist I didn't see coming and they're doing wonders once again with this storyline. The Wild Samoans line was magnificent. Brilliant segment, the best storyline, keep it going for another 3 years.

• Paid Members

Not overly thrilled at the thought of another Rollins title reign to be honest but it looks like that's the direction they're going in. Roman continues to be the very best in the business. Love it. 

39 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Not overly thrilled at the thought of another Rollins title reign to be honest but it looks like that's the direction they're going in. Roman continues to be the very best in the business. Love it. 

At least they’d actually be listening to crowd reactions for a change.

Seth is the perfect champion for me just now. A guy who is there every week, always very popular and can get involved in the silly stuff as well as the serious stuff.

• Paid Members

Rollins is massively over and having great matches with everyone and has been loads of fun for over a year and a half now. If not him then who? And I say that as someone who never really cared for him before.

• Paid Members

His first Smackers promo after his return felt like a feel-good and wholesome moment - delivered from the ticker and arguably one of the most compelling promos he’s ever cut because it was such relatable material…and then at the very end, they brought in the spooky bollocks with the Uncle Howdy business. Apart from his little meet and greet with Undertaker, he’s had nothing to crow about since and it’s reached the point where the big stars don’t want to be lumped in a program with him because it’ll all go to pot. 

• Paid Members

Yes Boy! Instant favourites. No idea why I was never too fussed when they were in NXT. Maybe it’s harder to stand out in that landscape, where everyone has a bad gimmick, filled with bad acting and game show aesthetics. Here though, they were perfect. What a fantastic pair of knobheads. Right up my street.