The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

IMG_4549.thumb.jpeg.00a8c7c0a4bdf40bf72fbef6312616fa.jpeg

Holy. Shit. Those Money in the Bank tickets now feel underpriced. It can’t be said enough how ridiculously good it is to be a pro-wrestling fan in 2023. Remember how shit it was for so long? This is the fucking promised land.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, FUM said:

I reckon you could easily work this all the way to Roman as a face with The Bloodline v Gunther as a heel with Imperium who have been running roughshod all over the company by the time he comes back….

That would be ace. 

The biggest blessing (and possibly biggest curse) of the Bloodline story is the authenticity - the real-life family element makes the whole thing more unique, and the actual, literal bloodline of the family will see them feud, reunite, feud again and reunite again in the years to come before they all wind up in the Hall of Fame in the decades to come. 

The challenge for the next dominant heel faction is how they foster and present the connection between the stablemates without the family element. Gunther and his Imperium cohort, if expanded, could be a good fit for that. Gunther already has elements of Reigns’ pompousness and sense of self-grandeur, but he backs it up by being physically so difficult to beat.

They should really play up to his Ring General tag - not in the sense of wearing daft army gear, but in how others view him. After all, who better to face a Tribal Chief than a leading Ring General? Just like Roman’s henchman fear him and have done his bidding, Gunther can instill the same fear into his subjects. If anything, the lack of family ties means you could potentially expand the army further. 

Apparently Smackdown was “Vinced” this week. One thing that stood out was he totally ditched Bayley off the show when she was meant to face Shotzi with her MITB shot up for grabs as part of the storyline with Iyo. 

Thought it was a pretty nothing show. Nothing too bad with the exception of Charlotte Flair but nothing good either with the exception of The Usos getting their flowers from the crowd.

Charlotte is truly the pits man. She would put you off women’s wrestling altogether. Terrible face, terrible heel. Rotten. Incredible what she’s achieved really considering but I suppose that’s what having 3 others carry you into the main event plus a family name gets you.

55 minutes ago, FUM said:

Charlotte is truly the pits man. She would put you off women’s wrestling altogether. Terrible face,

Aye she's had some work done but that's a bit harsh.

Personally I think Charlotte has had the best main roster matches of the "horsewomen". Sasha and Bayley were the queens of NXT. Becky had the best character stuff (briefly, she's shite now). But purely in the ring post-NXT I think Charlotte had the best CV. That one with Ronda was the best I've seen to this day. It was annoying initially when she was crowbarred into Becky v Ronda, but then she chopped Ronda in the fucking face and it ruled. She even had a vaguely memorable one with Natalya once, I shit you not. Her early heel stuff on the mic was decent. Though she's another I haven't really been able to re-evaluate since I started watching again a couple of months ago, I just know she looks really weird now.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Overall - Solid Smackers. Probably more of a transitional or filler episode to get us across to London next week, but there was still plenty to smile about. 

👍 Uso's opening promo - Nice way to kick things off. I like the little nugget about them forgiving Roman eventually - it's inevitable they'll be homies again at some point in the future, possibly even as a babyface collective as I've previously speculated. Nothing groundbreaking in fairness but a nice way to address the incredible moment from a week prior. 

👍 Sheamus vs Solo - Big meaty men slapping meat. Delicious. Solo's had a fair few TV main events this year and he hasn't looked out of place at all. Sheamus is still working to a really high standard after several years. Post-match angle was all fine and dandy too. Heyman being scared of Solo really helps to sell his aura and further the question marks about Heyman's own future on the Island of relevancy. 

👍 LA Knight vs Rey Mysterio - Good opening bout and the right result to keep the main man hot on the road to London. Yeah!

👍 Ronda Rousey/Shayna Baszler vs. Isla Dawn/Alba Fyre - One or two executions didn't quite come off, but this was still a great effort from all four souls. It was Rousey's best outing in quite sometime for starters. Wouldn't be against a rematch. 

👍 Pretty Deadly vs Street Profits - Firstly, top patter with Pretty Deadly on the best SD version of the Grayson Waller Effect so far. More of them together as a trio, please (or should that be PRETTY please, eh? Geddit?). Match with the Profits was tidy. Nice touch with Motez taking Elton's top and trying it on for size before doing a big dive to the outside. A good heater for them heading into a huge show for them next week. Good luck lads. Yes Boy!

👎 Oh goodie, Liv Morgan is back. 

👎 Charlotte vs Lacey Evans - Dull. Charlotte paying homage to her hubby with the lying down pose was the highlight of the match (if you can call it that). 

• Paid Members

How many times did she lose the Raw women's title to Sasha Banks on the Raw before a PPV, then win the title back at the PPV before losing it again in the rematch a week or so later.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

How many times did she lose the Raw women's title to Sasha Banks on the Raw before a PPV, then win the title back at the PPV before losing it again in the rematch a week or so later.

It wasn't quite like that but not far off

3 times Sasha Banks beat her on a Raw episode for the title only to lose the title back 3 wees or so later at the next PPV

3 times in a 6 month period is some going for repeat booking

Funnily enough they each held it for a combined 72 Days (Sasha 3x) Charlotte (x2) from Late July-Mid December when Charlotte won it again and the pattern ended when Bayley beat Charlotte (though again on a Raw) 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Nice touch with Motez taking Elton's top and trying it on for size before doing a big dive to the outside.

I liked this when it just seemed like a bit of throwaway house show-esque fun, but I liked it even more when it came back into play for the finish - Kit using the top Ford had stripped from Elton then discarded to provide even more leverage on the feet-on-the-ropes roll-up.

Continues the theme of PD being cheaty little bastards but clever ones who can/will use your tiniest mistake to their advantage, giving them hope of overcoming teams they initially seem overmatched by.

• Paid Members
On 6/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Of course, let's not forget the points I always love to go over - Banks losing a Hell In A Cell match in her hometown wasn't bad enough, but in the Iron Woman decider they had Sasha submit right near the time limit instead of gutting it out and holding on, then submit again in the overtime to lose the title for the third and final time - overall, the feud making her look a choke artist who could never pull it off on the bigger stage, and a gutless loser whose fortitude dissolved at the crunch, undisputedly inferior to her enemy. That being Sasha, the apparent babyface in the feud.

Is it any wonder people hate Charlotte? Between the booking making a loser out of Sasha, her knocking off unbeaten Asuka at a Mania at the peak of her popularity, being unnecessarily inserted into the simmering hatred of Lynch vs Ronda, she's essentially an emblem for the company booking what it wants to regardless of if the story is the best one to tell or how sick the audiences are of her. She's Joan Cena.