The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

On 1/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, Nick James said:

Fuck it, get that belt on Sami at the Rumble. 

My feelings on the Zayn situation is for him not win Rumble or headline WM. Give him the win at MITB then have the bloodline keep at him to give it them so he can be a lifetime member of the line and have KO and others keep chirping away at him to cash it in on Roman leading to Summerslam and Sami finally "seeing the light" after the main event and cashing in ona worn down Roman to protect Reigns too

The promos you could do with the Usos and Heyman been overly nice to him in build up would be great

Edited by Sheffbag

1 minute ago, Sheffbag said:

My feelings on the Zayn situation is for him not win Rumble or headline WM. Give him the win at MITB then have the bloodline keep at him to give it them so he can be a lifetime member of the line and have KO and others keep chirping away at him to cash it in on Roman leading to Summerslam and Sami finally "seeing the light" after the main event and cashing in ona worn down Roman to protect Reigns too

The promos you could do with the Usos and Heyman been overly nice to him in build up would be great

It’s been great long term storyline but there is no chance Sami is kept hot for another 6 months in this story. Anything after Mania is too late and interest will start to go.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

It was more in response to the Saudi rumours. 

• Paid Members

Two certified bangers this week. Zayn/Owens was brilliant and made for more exciting character development in the whole Bloodline saga. Before the finish, Sami proved himself as being incredibly competitive without any nefarious assistance from anyone else - to all intents in and purposes, it looked as though he might even have the match won. The Bloodline eventually showing up and dismantling Owens at the end would normally be the sort of screwy ending that would irk me - but it made perfect sense in the wider context of the storyline. The look of confusion and almost concern on Sami's face was a picture that could speak a thousand words. They threw in another boss moment for Sikoa as well by splashing Owens through the table. In what will come as a shock to absolutely nobody, I'm absolutely loving the shit out of this whole scenario. I'm desperate for them to go with Roman vs Sami at Wrestlemania, but whatever happens, fuck me the ride to get to the eventual confrontation is maniacally fun. Wrestling's alright, isn't it?

Braun Strowman I think just had one of his best matches out of either of his WWE stints. Walter/Gunther just brings such an epic big-fight feel with him when the stakes are high, like when a title is on the line. Gunther chopping an absolute man mountain opposite him is an absolutely glorious sound. Top match this and another massive win for the IC champ. Strowman doesn't lose much face from losing due to a shoulder issue, and they'll give him some build up heading into the Rumble anyway, so this was the perfect time to give the big, mad Austrian some spotlight. Cracking stuff, this. 

Bray teasing a bit of the old Wyatt funsies was a nice touch. He's such an engaging promo when his verbiage is more focussed. No Uncle Howdy bollocks this week either. More of this, thank you. 

Morgan/Rodriguez was fine and engaging - RR transitioning into a heel role would be fantastic and I think she'd shoot up the pecking order very quickly, to the point where I think she could claim a women's title in the not too distant future. 

Nox/Xia Li was really clunky and they failed to attract the interest of the audience. This is the sort of match where they could have done with some allies cheering them on from either side of the ring - this would have helped engage the crowd a bit more and cover up for some of the nerves they both appeared to show. Both are perfectly capable, so I won't write them off yet, but I think they need to be paired against more experience lasses for the time being. 

Overall, another perfectly decent Smackers. Two hours is the perfect length for this show - three for Raw is just far, far too much, and I'd potentially argue that two hours is too long for NXT. But the length feels quite spot on with the blue brand. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Zayn and Owens are two guys I could watch wrestle forever. To think where they are now vs when I first saw them is pretty mad. Having followed then for so long I'm just really happy for both guys. They deserve every success. Especially Sami at this point.

And it was an ending I wasn't expecting. But one I really loved. Everyone played their parts perfectly as always. I can't wait to see the fall out from it. It's honestly the most addictive cliffhanger every week and I love that from wrestling.

Still amazed at how good main roster Gunther has been in terms of protection and presentation. He's always a highlight and I hope we do get him and Lesnar eventually. It was a dream match before but now Gunther is on a level where people will actually be really invested in it too.

Rest of the show was pretty solid and yeah the 2 hour thing will always be a benefit. I did skip the Tegan match though as that just wasn't needed.

• Paid Members

Gunther is just magic man, I think he’s my favourite wrestler right now, and it’s such a relief to be able to say that without a “despite how poorly the call up has been handled” caveat attached. Quite the opposite in fact. I’ve never tuned into a show with one of the main selling points being the Braun Strowman match before. 

Bloodline/Sami and Gunther are two very strong reasons why I’ve watched a good few months of Smackdowns in a row after quite a long period of going highlights/podcast reviews only. 

Found it fascinating watching him work a bigger opponent and being both a heel but also doing exactly what his character would do in this situation in terms of strategy and approach. Cautious without being overly cowardly, focusing on the obvious weak spot thoroughly and continuously, only going to his big spots when he was confident he’d done enough. Thought the commentators told the story of him being in a rare bad match up very effectively too. 

I thought Braun held up his end well. I know this already very wanky star rating type analysis but he did occasionally completely forget to sell his exhaustion and his arm when they were setting up a thing or when he had his heat back. It’s very nit picky but it think it just stood out when in there with Gunther. With him you can almost see his video game spirit meter/energy bar on screen with how well he conveys the toll the match is taking on him.  But yeah, neckbearding aside I thought Braun delivered when he needed to. 

Enjoyable show overall too. Everything Sami/Owens/Bloodline was gold. I enjoyed Bray’s throwback promo because I was such a huge fan of the early days of the Wyatt Family.  Xia Li and Tegan Nox was a flat match with a flat crowd, other than that everything was either fine or excellent. 

The problem with debating whether or not Sami looks like a mainstream star is it assumes that WWE does or even seeks to make mainstream stars anymore. 

Is Sami becoming a champion going to result in mainstream attention or get a new generation of kids watching? Probably not. Would a more muscular guy? Probably not. I suppose Cody might have a slightly higher chance based largely on factors out of the ring (he's good at working rich people, TV execs and fans) but he's still working in a system that doesn't really make mainstream stars anymore. 

I'd imagine the factors that will decide it for Sami are ones we aren't eve  privileged to. How banged up is he? Is he willing to do media? Does he want to be the top guy? Do people listen to him backstage? What are his priorities? How enthusiastic is he? Does he want time away anytime soon? Is he happy? Does he think more pressure will make him unhappy? How long does he think he has left? How long do other people think he has left? If he's not going to have a long reign for any number of unknown factors, then are they more focused on giving him a thank you and a heart warming moment for fans or don't hey have longer term plans. What was Cody's deal? If they plan on giving Cody a run are they worried about delaying it even longer? How cold will he get? Are they going to get The Rock? What does The Rock want to do? Is it their last chance to work something with Rock? How's Roman feeling? Is Roman due a break? Have they already agreed a series with Rock and Roman?

What I found interesting on both this show and Raw was that they are splitting the tag belts again and with logical reason, Pearce being fed up with the Bloodline running roughshot on both shows. Wether that means the Usos defending both on the same night at the Rumble or defending on on TV before or after that PLE

We know Judgement Day have a shot at the Raw ones from the gauntlet match this week and you would imagine Drew and Sheamus will win the tournament for the SD title shot unless they pull a surprise as the other teams will be Imperium, Hit Row, Legado del Fantasmo, New Day, Viking Raiders (facing Drew and Sheamus), Los Lotharios and either Sami and Solo (to protect the shot or take out the Banger Bros) or Butch and Ridge

• Paid Members

Sami busting out some of the old moveset and not playing the cowardly heel really helped that match for me as well just be more spectacular. It's almost as if character wise he's realised that people are behind him and he's starting to believe in himself more again.

The Bloodline coming in to finish off the job just seems like Roman will claim they did it to protect him and have his back, try to put more self doubt into his mind before he realises all along he belongs.

Also Solo, what a man, if he can stay healthy, he could have the breakout of 2023 based off the last few weeks. The guys becoming a monster, but as a legit threat, not just because he's bigger than everyone. He has to be in the Rumble throwing guys around for fun.

• Paid Members

The fact Romans downfall is going to be because of his own paranoia is fantastic. Sami would die for him at the moment, but Roman is gaslighting him because he's now panicking that Sami will see KO was right.

'Go get your own bloodline'.

*Chefs kiss*

• Paid Members

It's getting better every single week. Making my dawg practically beg for a fist bump? After everything he did for you?! What a prick. The big turn in this storyline should come when Roman refuses to bump fists in the near future and Sami responds by throwing that fist at his fucking jaw.

But yeah. Sami, mate. Please. Cancel Monday's flight. I'm terrified for him.

I honestly don’t know show anyone can watch this and think that the natural- and best - conclusion to this is anything other than Sami defeating Roman for at least one of his title belts.

Fuck Cody Rhodes, and fuck The Rock too. If either of these matches happen at Wrestlemania, it should be part of a two-night affair, where Roman faces Sami on one night, and The Rock on the other. 

In fact, Sami defeating Roman the night after Roman beats The Rock would be a really powerful moment. Beating Rock would make Roman look even more unbeatable, while also giving him an excuse to fall back on for losing to Sami (I wrestled two matches in two nights - you didn’t), and a backdrop for a compelling rematch. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I honestly don’t know show anyone can watch this and think that the natural- and best - conclusion to this is anything other than Sami defeating Roman for at least one of his title belts.

This would be amazing if they split the title again, because then you can have the feel good Sami win everyone seems to clamour for, plus a real main event.