The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

It'll be a Montreal screwjob again won't it?  Screw Sami out of the win somehow, post match beatdown from Solo, Jey comes in, you think he's going to save Sami but BOOM! He attacks him too, Jimmy is shown "in the back" having knocked out and handcuffed Kevin Owens then Cody comes in to actually make the save. Cody is the hero, Roman is a rotter, Sami and KO have a reason to feud for the tag titles and Vince gets to return to our screens (maybe not that bit)

Although the Rumble was the first wrestling I've watched since last Wrestlemania so I only have knowledge of the storylines from what I've read on here really.

There are so many threads to this story it is legitimately a headache trying to tie it all up neatly. I maintain that Sami doesn’t need to win the belt to end this. He needs to reunite with Owens. Jey needs his redemption arc to be completed which is why I don’t see him turning on Sami. Like someone said, it’s  a nice problem to have. 

The Jey turning on Sami thing has been suggested by a lot of people and while I'm sure it would play out okay if they're going for the tag title match at Mania, I definitely fall more into the camp of Jey getting redemption. Whether that's now or a bit further down the line I don't know.

It's a tough call as we don't really know Roman's future after this title run either. Does he get a break? I wouldn't be surprised. Do Sami and KO earn The Usos respect at Mania and that sets off yet another Bloodline implosion? Usos lose and Roman loses and it all gets too much on the show after Mania?

You don't want it to get too over complicated at this point when they've done well in making everything feel natural so far. So yeah it's a tough call knowing what to do with Sami AND Jey if you're wanting to end positively with both. And then obviously you've got Cody in the mix there too.

But it's been a real pleasure watching and also having something so many are invested in to the point we're even having these discussions so regularly.

This is what wrestling is about for me.

If the Usos can't make it into Canada at all, I'd get a massive kick out of them getting around it like this- Sami's on a great run in the match, lots of momentum, Roman's on the verge of losing, Sami sets up for the Helluva Kick... and Roman just turns around and boots Zayn in the balls. The most blatant DQ ever to keep the title while Montreal goes nuclear.

28 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

If the Usos can't make it into Canada at all, I'd get a massive kick out of them getting around it like this- Sami's on a great run in the match, lots of momentum, Roman's on the verge of losing, Sami sets up for the Helluva Kick... and Roman just turns around and boots Zayn in the balls. The most blatant DQ ever to keep the title while Montreal goes nuclear.

Think Jey can go but Jimmy can't.

3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

The friendship of KO and Sami has been the lifeblood of this all.

I don’t agree. This story started long before their friendship was introduced to the mix. Their friendship was just a distraction that let them go off course from what the true story was. For me, this story started as far back as before Sami even got involved when Jey Uso was being knocked about by Roman. This is a culmination of the entire Bloodline story from back then which is what frustrates me about Cody being the one to bring the boss down. He doesn’t belong in this story.

• Paid Members

A crazy, nonsensical thought has just struck me - 

If they go with The Usos vs Sami/KO on night one of Wrestlemania...why not having the winning team be inserted into a fatal fourway on night two? This builds intrigue and stakes in the tag title match further, but also adds further intrigue to the main event in the process. From there, Cody can still be the victor, or it opens the door for a shock Zayn win. Or, they can do two falls deal where the titles are split and they take one each. 

I'm sure that could be much more eloquently thought out and explained but it's an idea I'd wholeheartedly support. KO deserves another Wrestlemania main event as well. 

Yeah very good point. Jey and Sami are so intertwined in this that the payoff needs to include them both. The simplest thing is for Jey to cost Sami the match leading to the Usos vs Sami/KO at mania, for me though that isn’t what Jey should be doing.

The entire bloodline abandoning Roman is a nice conclusion, the paranoid tribal chief having caused his own downfall would be fittingly poetic. 

I guess the only thing is Sami is really hot right now and they've built his story so well. Jey? Completely agree his story with Roman is much longer and absolutely pre-dates the Sami stuff BUT is the major demand there for a pay off at this point? Despite it coming first I'd say it's pretty obvious it's now secondary to anything they've got with Sami. When they're doing recaps they rarely go back that far. Sami is where they struck the true gold.

• Paid Members

Even the match graphic is an absolute buzz. Fever dream levels of them actually delivering! Yes! I CANNOT wait! They’re going to blow the fucking roof off in Montreal! Take his head off, Sami!

89C6CE75-33B1-4679-9906-6D657EDE837E.thumb.jpeg.e8e804a3fb50d581fdc7148acc4dbbd3.jpeg

It’s the zenith of pro-wrestling. A storyline so good, with characters I’m so invested in, that the snarky, Powerslam-reading part of my brain switches off. I don’t care about business. I don’t care about long term plans. I don’t care about trying to fantasy book the, “right way,” it should go. I just want to tune in every week to see what’s going to happen next.

I think everyone, myself included, needs to accept it’s not 2014 anymore. It’s a different world with different circumstances. I’ve been guilty of it myself as much as anyone. For the longest time, I couldn’t comprehend that they could have two good things going at once. I’m so used to WWE being so shit for so long that it had to be a binary choice of Sami or Cody and if they didn’t go with Sami then Cody had to get booed out the building. But that hasn’t happened at all. They’ve got two great things going on concurrently. If anything, it feels like we’re reaching levels of people trying to manifest Cody getting booed because thats’s what they expected or wanted. Dream on. The ridiculous man, with teary eyes and his big gulps, is getting universally cheered. Kids are dressing up as him in the front row. He’s not Bootista in any way whatsoever.

Maybe I’ll be wrong. Maybe they’ll screw it up. Maybe it won’t truly satisfy. Right now though? I’m in. I’m nine years old again. Sami’s gonna win whether he wants to or not!

3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think the point I’m trying to make is that, as part of my viewing experience as a fan I like to think about the future, and seeing stars created who’ll take the company forward.

That’s not how it’s coming across though. Honestly, I’m genuinely pleased for you that you’re excited by Cody’s coronation as The Guy, and I absolutely get where you’re coming from as it’s natural to be excited by the emergence of a new top star, but the feeling I’m getting reading your posts is that we’re in the wrong for wanting them to go in a different direction.

Again, apologies if I’m misreading this in any way, but please let’s not confuse “ah I wish it was Sami instead” for “Cody doesn’t deserve this, I’m going to boo him and ruin it!”.

12 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

That’s not how it’s coming across though. Honestly, I’m genuinely pleased for you that you’re excited by Cody’s coronation as The Guy, and I absolutely get where you’re coming from as it’s natural to be excited by the emergence of a new top star, but the feeling I’m getting reading your posts is that we’re in the wrong for wanting them to go in a different direction.

Again, apologies if I’m misreading this in any way, but please let’s not confuse “ah I wish it was Sami instead” for “Cody doesn’t deserve this, I’m going to boo him and ruin it!”.

Oh, Christ no, no one’s wrong and as someone else said this is when wrestling is at its best when we have enough meat on the bone to have debates. 

But there has been lots of ‘need your head checking if you want Cody’ or ‘people are lying to themselves they’d be happy if it’s Cody’ on here, so I think it’s good to at least wave the flag for the other team because Where I struggle is seeing WHY Sami/Roman has to wrap at Mania, but I love being told I’m wrong and then telling you why I think I’m right.

It’d be way worst if they had no options going into Mania.

As one of the people who are totally behind Sami becoming champion - there's not a bone in my body that hates Cody or is against Cody being champion or booing Cody because he's not the guy I want. Absolutely no issue with Cody whatsoever and I'm probably repeating myself yet again but - it's just a timing thing.

The Cody story is one I'm all for.. but another story has my heart right now and if you gave me a choice, the more satisfying option for me is Sami. That's the story I've been invested in the most. That's the person I've been invested in the most.

If they go with Cody - no problem. He's done wonders for himself and to see him since he came back to WWE has been a dream come true really. Good for him. But part of me will always have that "what if?" about Sami.

Montreal has a screwjob finish with Roman retaining.

Cody challenges for the WWE Title and wins Night 1. Cody wins the title Dusty never won.

Sami challenges for the Universal title on Night 2. Roman has Solo and Jimmy. Sami has Owens and Jey. Roman is paranoid about losing both nights of Mania. Sami wins, Mania finishes on the biggest high ever.

Cody gets his payoff. Bloodline get their payoff. Roman can have a break and then fued with Jey. Sami can have a short title reign, it really doesn't matter once he's won.

I think the only way to make both Sami and Cody at Mania is to have Cody turn heel on Sami, one way or another. Otherwise, I think they do have to trade one off against the other to some extent. Two title defences over Mania weekend telegraphs the result and robs the Night 2 winner of about two-thirds of their heat.

If Roman is taking a break after Mania anyway, I think its actually a pretty easy decision. Sami is your new top baby and Cody your new top heel. Roman can come back as either when he's ready.