The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Regardless of what happens - I’m still pretty comfortable with what looks like the actual plan - I really hope fans don’t turn on and boo Cody over it. It’s hardly his fault.

If they do, though, I hope it completely changes the culture of professional wrestling. As, at that point, surely as a wrestler you have to realise there’s no point taking big risks, big bumps, working through niggling injuries; Cody kept the show on the road with his arm falling off (which I thought was stupid in the first place) and he still gets booed for not being someone else? Fuck that. That’s egregiously entitled and pathetic.

Just do the bare minimum and get paid. Just be Randy Orton… he gets it. Slam, drop kick, headlock, Home time.

Even if you want Sami to succeed now, that doesn’t mean you have to take it out on the other guy who’s done… checks notes… absolutely nothing wrong and, however misguidedly, just spent 9 months in a sling because he wanted it so much. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

For me the ideal scenario has always been Roman defending both belts in separate matches at Wrestlemania on the different nights. You complete both stories for the different characters and you make two people for life as a result. 

I’m absolutely down for Codylicious getting his moment in the sun. I’m even still up for the Usos vs KO/Sami if they keep us on that road. 

But, I keep saying it - the pop that Sami would get for winning, either in Montreal or at WrestleMania, gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. It’s absolutely what the end of this incredible journey and story deserve. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Sami delivering the line 'I didn't want anything from you' was fantastic and Romans reaction said it all. Romans paranoia has been a huge factor throughout this story and is now playing into the Jey scenario as well with his referring to him as his right hand man for the first time in ages. 

I would absolutely be fine with whatever side Jey comes back on, whether that be Sami or Romans. It'll be interesting how they play out next week and I have a feeling they kind of played their hand the other week with Sami stepping in for Jimmy that Solo will take Jeys place next week. 

My main gripe this week, is it's 2023 and Natalya is still getting into high profile matches over Shayna and Zelina, fuck sake.

• Paid Members

WWE spent decades failing to create a top babyface the fans would actually cheer. Stumbling across two at the same time is a good problem to have. However they deal with it, I’m not complaining.

Roman continues to deliver, too. What a piece of shit. Gaslighting Jimmy and Solo backstage, screaming at Sami in the ring. A phenomenal heel. Genuinely scary.

Chalotte Flair in 2023 is not working. Completely mis-cast as a babyface, having awkward, stunted matches, introducing the Standing Crapshot Lariat, one of the worst looking moves I’ve ever seen, and calling spots so loudly even John Cena would tell her to shut up. Rhea Ripley deserves better.

It wouldn’t be an episode of WWE television without Dominik Mysterio stealing it though. The lad’s on fire. His ridiculousness is rubbing off on Finn Balor, too. Finn looked a brilliant dickhead in the tracksuit and bucket hat, hamming it up. I love a pro-wrestling screenshot that looks absolutely mental without context. This one is perfect.

4E752A25-0EEE-483C-8F4C-DC449C5421EC.thumb.jpeg.f3c4dd441653ae076c6c1ecab18b1f38.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

I mean I love the story but for me it’s looking like it’s going to be just another example of not following through on something that is right in front of them and it’s put a bit of a dampener on it for me.

I feel people are closing their eyes to that because Cody has built some brownie points up. I keep saying it but it’s just not his time for me while there’s something hotter and I like Cody but his time could have came later.

I don’t get all the arguments of Sami not feeling Champion material or a star - nobody has ever really been until you see how their moment goes down and then how they do with the job of top guy. Many would have baulked at the suggestion of Eddie Guerrero or JBL being the top champion at one time.

That aside, what bus did Jimmy and Solo go to for sushi? They arrived in a car.

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, FUM said:

Many would have baulked at the suggestion of … JBL being the top champion at one time.

Still do. Him and Jinder Mahal remain two of the worst choices for champion they’ve ever made.

I think it’s easier to support a “not a main eventer” champion when they’re a babyface. With Sami, like Eddie Guerrero, you like him and you want him to win. Everybody should want their favourite to be the champ - that’s not a wrong reaction to have.

6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Still do. Him and Jinder Mahal remain two of the worst choices for champion they’ve ever made.

I think it’s easier to support a “not a main eventer” champion when they’re a babyface. With Sami, like Eddie Guerrero, you like him and you want him to win. Everybody should want their favourite to be the champ - that’s not a wrong reaction to have.

Have to disagree on JBL and I say that as someone who was never really a fan. He went to another level is more my point, he appeared to belong when he got there and had some great feuds. He got beyond being Bradshaw. Jinder is a different story though. It was probably a poor example to use a heel though, Eddie is the better example as you say.

Roman losing on both nights of mania makes the second loss mean far less, as you seen the first one 24hrs earlier. Him losing a title means more as one big moment, not a 75/25 split which is what the second winner gets 

and watching the clips of last night, Roman is the greatest superstar I think I’ve ever seen. He’s everything a wrestler should be, there’s nothing that seems corny at all about him. Just 1 million percent cool as fuck even in a merch T-shirt. 

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed JBL as champion. Proper old school heel. They came up with some nice imaginative ways for him to retain the title as well. The finish of the steel cage match where he got chokeslammed through the ring and crawled outside for the win. His way of winning the title from Eddie. Really creative stuff. He never looked like a strong champion, but it was perfectly in fitting with his character. 

15 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I really enjoyed JBL as champion. Proper old school heel. They came up with some nice imaginative ways for him to retain the title as well. The finish of the steel cage match where he got chokeslammed through the ring and crawled outside for the win. His way of winning the title from Eddie. Really creative stuff. He never looked like a strong champion, but it was perfectly in fitting with his character. 

He had that crazy bloody Falls match with Cena as well which really helped sell Cena as a top star.  

If I didn't know better I'd think they were trying to turn the crowd against Cody with that Roman promo. "I'd rather talk about Cody Rhodes, someone who actually deserves my attention" (paraphrase). It did elicit a few boos as well. Not a good sign.

11 minutes ago, Pinc said:

If I didn't know better I'd think they were trying to turn the crowd against Cody with that Roman promo. "I'd rather talk about Cody Rhodes, someone who actually deserves my attention" (paraphrase). It did elicit a few boos as well. Not a good sign.

Boos for Cody or just boos because they wanted Roman to talk about Sami? The latter is to be expected surely.