The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

31 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

That said, I don’t know that Sami is as over in all arenas as Bryan was during his big, fan-led rise. He has had some tepid audiences.

I mean nobody is as over as Bryan was but the crowd went mental when Sami turned up, his name was being chanted like crazy - not sure what more you want than that. They were a bit poor for the promo but in terms of initial reaction they went nuts - same as for Jey.

I’m not sure the Sami promo was needed right enough. Maybe something pre-recorded would have been better and more about what has actually been done to him than what is going to happen - I don’t think Sami needed to be this confident about beating Roman as that was never what got him where he is. Part of me actually thought they were going to do a mad situation where Sami defended with Jimmy. I can understand why Sami wouldn’t want to do that though after Jimmy knocking him about.

I’m enjoying Chelsea Green more than I should be.

• Paid Members

“The way you look at him, well, it's a little weird.”

Sorry, who the fuck is this wisecracker? Because it’s certainly not the Sami Zayn we’ve all been watching for the past year. It was like someone Quantum Leaped into his body.

It wasn’t a deal breaker by any means, and there have been far more egregious examples (remember when Drew turned full Gameshow host in early 2020?). But yeah, it is fascinating that not even something as well-crafted as the Bloodline saga could avoid WWE’s obligatory tonal shift whenever someone becomes a top babyface.

Sure, Hunter might be able to write a better story and book a better match than Vince, but inherently they’re the same. A bunch of weirdoes who are so far removed from reality that they don’t even know what makes someone likeable. It’s the same thing with Charlotte suddenly having a jaunty dance version of her entrance theme. She’s a goodie now, don’t you know. She likes to have fun! I always come back to when Hunter turned babyface in 2006 and suddenly started wearing a backwards cap. How do you do, fellow babyfaces. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In that sense, the best decision they ever made was going with Cody over Sami at WrestleMania. We’re only a week into it and it’s already crystal clear. Cody’s the only guy immune to this phenomenon because he’s already an android. Looking like Max Headroom, acting and talking like an alien trying to convince you he’s human. Switch on the tear circuits. Enter gulp mode.

44 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It’s the same thing with Charlotte suddenly having a jaunty dance version of her entrance theme. She’s a goodie now, don’t you know.

Not really what happened to be fair to them. They have been changing a lot of themes due to them being made by CFO$ and them no longer working there. It’s so they don’t encounter any future rights difficulties and has been going in a while. That’s why the likes of Braun, Alexa, Corbin, Gargano and even Sami have all changed to slight variations of their old themes.

• Paid Members

That line from Sami did clang a bit. I’m glad he went with “you think the sun shines out of his ass” to not leave the “lol r u gay for Roman” inference hanging out there in 2023. But still, the drama of the Usos situation itself and the Jey/Sami backstage interaction were up there with the quality I expect from this story. 

Sami vs Roman in Montreal is going to be spine tingling stuff, no minor promo fumble can derail that. 

Madcap Moss has a girlfriend so I know he’s a cool guy. I hope Gunther chops his head off. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, FUM said:

On a side note, I’m surprised this clear tease wasn’t noticed by more.

spacer.png

What’s clear about the tease? Lots of wrestlers look up at the Wrestlemania Sign. ‘Tis the season after all. Happens every year.

@Supremotake a bow. That Quantum Leap analogy was spot on. The man who gave us feeling ucey said THAT!?! Just awful. All it did was really, in case anyone was in doubt, show Cody is their next guy and Sami is on his way back to the mid Card after Elimination Chamber. 

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What’s clear about the tease? Lots of wrestlers look up at the Wrestlemania Sign. ‘Tis the season after all. Happens every year.

In a year where some people are clamouring for Sami to go to WrestleMania and hoping there is some sort of plan in place to change the plan so to speak - I think it was a pretty evident tease that they know fans want it even if they’re not going to give them it. Even if it was just to tease fans to keep them guessing, the zoom out shot of Sami looking at the sign was hardly unplanned or in the moment.

Sami’s story has hardly discussed WrestleMania or the need to main event, it’s about knocking Roman off his perch. This was thrown in to get fans going that it might be happening in my opinion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FUM said:

In a year where some people are clamouring for Sami to go to WrestleMania and hoping there is some sort of plan in place to change the plan so to speak - I think it was a pretty evident tease that they know fans want it even if they’re not going to give them it. Even if it was just to tease fans to keep them guessing, the zoom out shot of Sami looking at the sign was hardly unplanned or in the moment.

Sami’s story has hardly discussed WrestleMania or the need to main event, it’s about knocking Roman off his perch. This was thrown in to get fans going that it might be happening in my opinion.

Or, and hear me out, it was just Sami referencing the upcoming event and he’ll have a match at Wrestlemania. You make it sound like the only Wrestlers who do they are main eventing Wrestlemania. The joke has been EVERYONE DOES IT.

At the moment I can't see how we get to a dramatic, worthwhile tag match between Owens/Zayn Vs The USPS unless they do something to warrant Jey realigning with the Bloodline at EC. 

I'm not on board with the one title each night thing really either though which seems like a teacher trying to "make it fair". 

Fantasy booking ahead.....I'd have Sami win by DQ at EC at this stage (worthwhile to see the Montreal fans have a hissy) then have him get a non title match against Roman on night 1 which Roman wins and Sami can win a blow off later on. To even it up Cody could also take on Solo on night 1 while Owens and the Usos do something with the tag belts or work as interference for where they want to go in the other matches. None of the Bloodline stuff needs to end at Mania for me the only thing that needs to happen is Cody takes the belts.

WrestleMania is the end of the season and conclusion of the big long-term angles. That’s how it has always worked. Nobody ever counts or remembers any rematches at Backlash in the story.

Roman working both nights is a nonsense and was only a good suggestion when The Rock was involved and you knew Roman was going over.

There now is no logical solution to get to Sami being at Mania in the big title picture that I can think of that wouldn’t harm Cody unfortunately and while I think it’s been the wrong move, we just have to live with it.

It’s very easy to get to Usos v Sami/KO from here, it’s not like they’ve fully committed Jey to a side, he said he doesn’t know.