The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

57 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I get the impression both nights of Mania will be about The Bloodline, really. Everything else is a nice to have, but in reality everything is geared towards those two presumed matches over both nights.

I can’t see anything other than Rhea v Charlotte headlining Night 1 and Cody v Roman headlining Night 2. 
If they do go with Sami & Owens taking on The Usos, which is what I think they will do, maybe 3rd on Night 2? That way it’s still fresh in the mind that The Bloodline have already lost one belt (or two if the Tag belts are unified, I forget if they are or not) and that the pressure is on Roman to keep his two belts. 
It’ll still be fresh in the mind if they have Sami & Owens v The Usos on Night 1, but having it as a thread running through Night 2s show rather than it having 24hrs to the crowd to digest it might leave Cody/Roman a little cooler than it should be

49 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I can’t see anything other than Rhea v Charlotte headlining Night 1 and Cody v Roman headlining Night 2. 
If they do go with Sami & Owens taking on The Usos, which is what I think they will do, maybe 3rd on Night 2? That way it’s still fresh in the mind that The Bloodline have already lost one belt (or two if the Tag belts are unified, I forget if they are or not) and that the pressure is on Roman to keep his two belts. 
It’ll still be fresh in the mind if they have Sami & Owens v The Usos on Night 1, but having it as a thread running through Night 2s show rather than it having 24hrs to the crowd to digest it might leave Cody/Roman a little cooler than it should be

I think Charlotte/Ripley probably headlines, but I reckon they might have KO/Sami v USO’s just before it.

I think they’ll want that 24 hour window to build the narrative that the Bloodline is falling apart, digital content etc, and build up anticipation for the collapse of the Roman Empire with a lot of title wielding babyfaces looking happy to end the show.

11 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think Charlotte/Ripley probably headlines, but I reckon they might have KO/Sami v USO’s just before it.

I think they’ll want that 24 hour window to build the narrative that the Bloodline is falling apart, digital content etc, and build up anticipation for the collapse of the Roman Empire with a lot of title wielding babyfaces looking happy to end the show.

You may well be right, but me personally, I would prefer it as a thread running through the second show rather than having it happen one night then have people come back to it after a nights sleep.

I suppose there’s no right or wrong way with it, just whatever seems to be personal preference

I'm not saying it's Rock & Austin, but fuck me. 

You could just about cut a My Way edit at the end if they started trading shots. 

All glory to The Plan. 

That was brilliant throughout but at this point definitely enough of the Dusty references. Let's make this about the two blokes going into the match now. 

Roman's facial expressions at the end though need extra applause. Grinning like a smug prick heel when facing Cody only to let slip as he turns away each time and show real concern about the challenge that awaits. That for me on its own is an absolute booking revelation compared to years of opponents shrugging each other off as threats.

I actually don't feel like the Dusty references take away from any of it at all. They feel like a natural layer and back story for all of this to bring the guys together and give it more depth. Plus it gives Cody's journey more emotion. As long as Roman doesn't go to Dusty's grave and superman punch it I think we're okay.

Roman Reigns has quietly become the best promo in wrestling. So effortlessly natural, it really was a contrast with Cody’s weird alien language and charisma.

Dusty’s Greatest Creation vs Cody Rhodes isn’t a route I expected when Cody won the Rumble. But I’m in.

And I couldn’t agree less on getting rid of the Dusty references, this is a Dusty story until he wins the belt and gets the monkey off his family’s back.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I don't think there's ever been anything exactly like this current Roman character, who is this terrifying mob boss, only instead of sweating in cigars and suits he's a sportswear branded athlete from the future who can catch and kill any prey but usually needs to just smirk. He's brilliant. It's incredible to think he was the same guy Triple H tried to rehab with 11 hour long matches and authority angle redux, all whilst still coming out in his Bossman gear to his old faction music. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

"If there is anything he didn't teach you...I will" was an incredible line delivered by a man who has become the best promo in a long time. Roman has a command of his character that few people ever manage. From the smiles and winks to the worried expressions, his timing is magical. He is starting to move into Rock territory with some of his mannerisms, and not in a bad way. It's all part of the bloodline as it were. 

The Dusty stuff is a layer no-one expected, but there is enough out there from what Roman has said in the past to lend credence to what he is saying, so it doesn't sound forced. Anyone who still thinks Sami should have beaten Roman needs their noggin knockin', "The Plan" is producing one hell of a storyline so far. Let's hope they don't screw it up in the next 4 weeks. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

"If there is anything he didn't teach you...I will" was an incredible line delivered by a man who has become the best promo in a long time. Roman has a command of his character that few people ever manage. From the smiles and winks to the worried expressions, his timing is magical. He is starting to move into Rock territory with some of his mannerisms, and not in a bad way. It's all part of the bloodline as it were. 

The Dusty stuff is a layer no-one expected, but there is enough out there from what Roman has said in the past to lend credence to what he is saying, so it doesn't sound forced. Anyone who still thinks Sami should have beaten Roman needs their noggin knockin', "The Plan" is producing one hell of a storyline so far. Let's hope they don't screw it up in the next 4 weeks. 

Sami should have won. But as a DQ or something. THAT SAID, I agree they are playing a blinder. Cody isn’t as good as he thinks he is. He tries to cut this appearance (through tailored suits and heavily rehearsed promo, ghost written by Russell Brand), of being The Man. But Roman just naturally has it.

Plus I’ll never tire of pointing out how stupid that tattoo looks poking out of his dress shirt. What a dope. Fuck it, as bored as I’ve been of Roman’s reign (pun intended), I reckon Cody will be insufferable if he wins.

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sami should have won. But as a DQ or something. THAT SAID, I agree they are playing a blinder. Cody isn’t as good as he thinks he is. He tries to cut this appearance (through tailored suits and heavily rehearsed promo, ghost written by Russell Brand), of being The Man. But Roman just naturally has it.

Plus I’ll never tire of pointing out how stupid that tattoo looks poking out of his dress shirt. What a dope. Fuck it, as bored as I’ve been of Roman’s reign (pun intended), I reckon Cody will be insufferable if he wins.

The tattoo is the smartest decision he’s ever made.

It basically guaranteed they’d have to take him as they found him and that he’d control his branding and his aesthetic. Given his experiences of WWE in the past, his desperation to be taking seriously on his own terms, if he was always planning to head back there then getting that tattoo before his contract expired with AEW was an A* genius move.

I *love* the story he tells about Vince presenting him a bunch of logos for his return and he just pulled his shirt down and Vince said something like ‘fair enough, guess we’ll stick with that.’

That it looks THAT shit just makes it better - you got to sacrifice for the art, brother.

For some reason, I don’t think I disagree with you that he’s not as good as he thinks he is (yet) but I think that it helps in this story. He just needs to grow with the Championship, I guess. I think over time though, he needs to keep the fire and the passion and maybe lose the thesaurus.

Still, I’m all in. Let’s go Cody.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Plus I’ll never tire of pointing out how stupid that tattoo looks poking out of his dress shirt. What a dope. Fuck it, as bored as I’ve been of Roman’s reign (pun intended), I reckon Cody will be insufferable if he wins

There are some shit tattoos in wrestling but Cody's while jarring peaking out of a collar isn't in the top 10.