The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Supremo said:

It should be two nights every year going forward. Million times easier to get through as a two-night event.

The only problem would be that within a couple of years each night would be 7 hours long because they can't help themselves. 

• Paid Members

I happened to have a bit of spare time yesterday and managed to get watching most of Smackdown and I'm intrigued by this stuff with Adam Pearce. It makes Roman look like even more of a bullying git. That he is going to taunt and humiliate Pearce over the coming weeks, with Pearce having to finally stand up for himself before getting put down emphatically, could be pretty golden. 

Quick question though. Where in the hell did Nakamura come out of, being the one to get the strong booking treatment in the gauntlet? Is he not still in a tag team with Cesaro that's doing nothing and going nowhere?

12 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Quick question though. Where in the hell did Nakamura come out of, being the one to get the strong booking treatment in the gauntlet? Is he not still in a tag team with Cesaro that's doing nothing and going nowhere?

Yeah it’s really come out of nowhere especially given that he lost to Otis in about 2 minutes a couple of weeks ago. 

• Paid Members

Much like everything involving Roman right now, it’s a shame the Adam Pearce match is taking place in an empty building. Even if we know how the match is going to end I bet they could have fans going wild when Pearce gets a flurry going against him.

Edited by Supremo

24 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I happened to have a bit of spare time yesterday and managed to get watching most of Smackdown and I'm intrigued by this stuff with Adam Pearce. It makes Roman look like even more of a bullying git. That he is going to taunt and humiliate Pearce over the coming weeks, with Pearce having to finally stand up for himself before getting put down emphatically, could be pretty golden. 

My first thought was that with Bryan being heavily involved in SmackDown backstage that he's probably someone that's brought his name up as a guy who can be used a lot better.

Wonder what Nakamura's contract status is too.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Much like everything involving Roman right now, it’s a shame the Adam Pearce match is taking place in an empty building. Even if we know how the match is going to end I bet they could have fans going wild when Pearce gets a flurry going against him.

I'm worried they'll end up switching to a much less interesting option, such as another match with Kevin Owens. Pearce has been tweeting throughout the week asking Reigns to reconsider: 

I'm hoping the end result will be a fired up, determined Adam Pearce - not Kevin Owens or someone else stepping in, somehow goading Roman into a different match. 

1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Reigns is going to need an opponent/feud between the Rumble and Mania, so they have probably picked Nakamura's name out of a hat/thrown a dart at a board with everyone's face on it. I will just be a way to pass the time between those big shows and will probably lead to a Reigns vs. Cesaro match as well to fill the time (as well as probably Reigns/Uso vs. Nakamura/Cesaro).

It is the way WWE work most of the time; you are meant to have a very short memory and forget that Nakamura has been a mid-card act for a few years now (and as mentioned lost pretty much a squash match to Otis recently).

It will be the same if they go with Daniel Bryan as the challenger at Mania. WWE will hope that everyone has forgotten that Bryan has had no direction or momentum for a while now  (and has been mixing it up in the midcard and lost clean to Nakamura), and hope that a Rumble win or an Elimination Chamber win (if that show is still in February), or wins over Reigns last challenger (Nakamura) and probably Jey Uso, will make everyone think he is now a strong challenger for Reigns. Same for Big E when he get his shot at Reigns. Struggling to get wins over Zayn and Apollo Crews, but he will be made out to be a worthy, tough challenge for Reigns.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I'm worried they'll end up switching to a much less interesting option, such as another match with Kevin Owens. Pearce has been tweeting throughout the week asking Reigns to reconsider: 

I'm hoping the end result will be a fired up, determined Adam Pearce - not Kevin Owens or someone else stepping in, somehow goading Roman into a different match. 

Unfortunately this is exactly what happened and I’m absolutely gutted. Something new and different only to swerve us with the same thing they’ve been doing for months.

Still, this show needs to be seen just for the 8K cameras they used for entrances. As if it wasn’t the creepiest, most haunting show already with the Black Mirror fans and piped in chants. They’ve now got guys somehow giving Uncanny Valley vibes with their own actual human faces. I don’t know why, but 8K makes everyone look less real, like a video game character.

Overall a good show though. The difference in quality between Raw and Smackdown right now is unbelievable. You’d never think it was the same company. I wasn’t aware Daniel Bryan was working behind the scenes on Smackdown but it would make all the sense in the world in that this show at least feels partly created by a normal person.

Big E looked a superstar in his Ghosbusters cardigan sitting on his ringside couch, pisssing charisma. I’m also a fan of Nakamura stealing Orange Cassidy’s “this time I’m gonna try!” gimmick.

Finally - Bayley now has an interview segment called Ding Dong. Looking forward to certain poster’s weird reaction to that.

10B0D358-E566-4D25-B1FC-C9E9DFBF3D27.gif.bffc1525133666daa36b6d0ecfcb5d58.gif

Edited by Supremo

It’s typical WWE to come up with something genuinely intriguing before pivoting to the least interesting option possible. Given that Nakamura was farting around with Jey Uso earlier in the show I began to think that they might have been lining him up as a Reigns opponent which would at least have been something new, but nope, they decided to go with the Kevin Owens rematch no one has been clamouring for. 

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Still, this show needs to be seen just for the 8K cameras they used for entrances. As if it wasn’t the creepiest, most haunting show already with the Black Mirror fans and piped in chants. They’ve now got guys somehow giving Uncanny Valley vibes with their own actual human faces. I don’t know why, but 8K makes everyone look less real, like a video game character.

I love the 8K cameras. They've been a regular feature on NFL broadcasts for the last month and a bit and they look phenomenal. Think this might be the second "sport" that FOX have used these cameras on which is a sign of how seriously FOX takes WWE 

• Paid Members

Do they use the 8K cameras to shoot the actual action in the NFL? I can imagine that could make for some interesting footage, particularly if you slow it down. Just using it for entrances just made everyone look a bit weird though. I swear, we're months away from WWE airing a show consisting entirely of footage from WWE2K and no-one will even tell the difference.

Speaking of overproduced, weird, haunting Black Mirror production - I found out the other day that they're only now starting to use proper fans for the NXT's Thunderdome screens and previously they just used stock footage of fans from other shows. Incredible. They should've just gone for those three or four stock shots of people reacting we used to get on UK TV when they'd do a chair shot.