VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

Very much so. I binned off twitter last year and if it weren't for distant family I'd do the same with Facebook. It's just a toxic cesspool now, I'd say kill it with fire but the vitriol would just move elsewhere.

• Paid Members

I've met some great friends through Twitter. it has its ills but it's generally been fantastic for me. Facebook, I could take or leave. I'm only still on it because I need to promote the football club but I've cleansed it of some knobheads and find it a nicer experience overall now.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Can confirm Greggs have nailed it. This is a good day

I appreciate you're a vegan now, but had you eaten their sausage rolls when (if?) you were a meat eater before? I only ask as I'm wondering how the taste compares (ignoring ethics etc for a moment). I'm just curious as it sounds like they've put a lot of effort into making this pretty similar to their meat version, and if I'm honest I'd happily plump for the vegan version, on the rare occasion I go to Greggs, if they've got anywhere near the same ballpark with the formula.

I love the idea that Greggs have been forced to pander to the PC snowflakes, I've made this joke before about a different kind of food but I'd love to see the minutes for that meeting (Or should it be MEATING amirite Piers??!!)

Sorry lads, we have to introduce a new product that will be marketed to one of the largest growing consumer bases in the country whilst simultaneously not removing any of our existing lines.  I know we all don't want this but we are left with no choice, otherwise the PC brigade will close us down or something.  I'm so sorry but we really have our hands tied on this decision to increase our revenue.  I'm so sorry about all the extra profit this thing we've been forced into doing of our own free will will generate the company.

Anyone watch The Truth About Vegans?  30 minutes wasn't long enough but the main jist of it was "Man is thinking of becoming vegan, meets up with dieticians, vegans and learns about activism.  Decides there are some arseholes in the movement but because everyone else was sound, caring, and very educational and informative, says he'll probably become vegan anyway"

The dairy farmer came across as a total berk, and the activists calling Jews "Nazis" and how they were doing a holocaust were complete wankers.

• Paid Members

Interesting question, I hope, but if this does taste just like a normal Sausage Roll, what's the justification for continuing to do both? Is "people want meat" enough? If it tastes the same, why wouldn't you only do the vegan one that everyone can eat?

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Is "people want meat" enough?

Pretty much.  This isn't some ethical reason they're doing it, it's for economical reasons.  If the profit isn't there on the vegan sausage rolls, they'll stop selling them.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Interesting question, I hope, but if this does taste just like a normal Sausage Roll, what's the justification for continuing to do both? Is "people want meat" enough? If it tastes the same, why wouldn't you only do the vegan one that everyone can eat?

Because there's an astonishing number of people who wouldn't eat the vegan one even if it tastes exactly the same, and eat meat as some point of principle.

It's something I'd not really thought of before, but I was sit in the window seat of a new (and presently our only) vegan cafe a few months back, and witnessed two gym lad types walk past. One of them seemed to indicate the cafe as somewhere to get something to eat, the other was shuffling his feet and avoiding eye contact, acting as if he were a fourteen year old being asked to go into Ann Summers.

There are plenty of people out there who genuinely feel their masculinity, or something about their identity, threatened by the very suggestion of someone, somewhere, not eating meat. You only need to read the comments on any article about veganism and see how many just say, "mmm bacon tho" or "should give them a cheeseburger lolz".