VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Pretty much.  This isn't some ethical reason they're doing it, it's for economical reasons.  If the profit isn't there on the vegan sausage rolls, they'll stop selling them.

Appreciate the question was almost rhetorical. Just wondered if anyone thought it would change anything.

Had a chat with someone at work this morning who mentioned that Dispatches program on C4 that Houchen mentioned. His take away was that "It showed Vegans in their true light". I.e. cunts.

Edited by tiger_rick

Just now, BomberPat said:

There are plenty of people out there who genuinely feel their masculinity, or something about their identity, threatened by the very suggestion of someone, somewhere, not eating meat. You only need to read the comments on any article about veganism and see how many just say, "mmm bacon tho" or "should give them a cheeseburger lolz".

I was talking about this today with my other half, and I remembered a study I read about homophobia.  Essentially, some males were homophobic because they thought that a man being penetrated instead of doing the penetration affected the whole concept of masculinity.  It's like fuel in a car, when gay sex happens the level in the masculine tank drops a little, so they were worried that it would drop so far that masculinity as a whole would run out of gas.  I believe this same toxic, fragile masculinity is behind the hatred of people (especially men) who don't eat meat.

I know I'm insecure, neurotic and paranoid but even I baulk at that kind of thinking.

27 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I appreciate you're a vegan now, but had you eaten their sausage rolls when (if?) you were a meat eater before? I only ask as I'm wondering how the taste compares (ignoring ethics etc for a moment). I'm just curious as it sounds like they've put a lot of effort into making this pretty similar to their meat version, and if I'm honest I'd happily plump for the vegan version, on the rare occasion I go to Greggs, if they've got anywhere near the same ballpark with the formula.

Not sure when the last time I had one would have been, probably college maybe? Gave one to my customer who is a meat eater and he said it was bang on. 

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's something I'd not really thought of before, but I was sit in the window seat of a new (and presently our only) vegan cafe a few months back, and witnessed two gym lad types walk past. One of them seemed to indicate the cafe as somewhere to get something to eat, the other was shuffling his feet and avoiding eye contact, acting as if he were a fourteen year old being asked to go into Ann Summers.

Maybe there was absolutely nothing in it? Maybe the shuffler wasn't hungry? Maybe he was trying to remember if he'd set his Sky+ box to record Emmerdale?

Or maybe he was a bit hesitant to go somewhere where he would be looked at as a "gym lad type"?

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I was talking about this today with my other half, and I remembered a study I read about homophobia.  Essentially, some males were homophobic because they thought that a man being penetrated instead of doing the penetration affected the whole concept of masculinity.  It's like fuel in a car, when gay sex happens the level in the masculine tank drops a little, so they were worried that it would drop so far that masculinity as a whole would run out of gas.  I believe this same toxic, fragile masculinity is behind the hatred of people (especially men) who don't eat meat.

I know I'm insecure, neurotic and paranoid but even I baulk at that kind of thinking.

There is definitely merit to that thought process, I think it's nowhere near the levels of homophobia in say the 70s-80s where it became more high profile in the public eye but I definitely agree that there will be some who think that way. Conversely though there were no homosexual activist groups attacking strip bars and telling the world that hetrosexual sex was wrong (to my knowledge) so there's more stoking of the fires in that respect too.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Not sure when the last time I had one would have been, probably college maybe? Gave one to my customer who is a meat eater and he said it was bang on. 

Excellent. Will have to try one now and see for myself, but it sounds promising!

3 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe there was absolutely nothing in it? Maybe the shuffler wasn't hungry? Maybe he was trying to remember if he'd set his Sky+ box to record Emmerdale?

Or maybe he was a bit hesitant to go somewhere where he would be looked at as a "gym lad type"?

A girl who works for me had some builder call her a freak in Greggs today when she ordered the Vegan one. I hardly ever get people question it like that to my face, although I have had some ridiculous comments

Just now, UK Kat Von D said:

A girl who works for me had some builder call her a freak in Greggs today when she ordered the Vegan one. I hardly ever get people question it like that to my face, although I have had some ridiculous comments

Well, that's unfortunate. There are some right arseholes out there for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Conversely though there were no homosexual activist groups attacking strip bars and telling the world that hetrosexual sex was wrong

That's because their struggle was that their love and sex was as valid as heterosexual.  It wasn't an either/or.

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That's because their struggle was that their love and sex was as valid as heterosexual.  It wasn't an either/or.

No argument there, the thing is that some homophobes had/have a baseless fear that their way of life is threatened by the existence of an alternative. With Veganism there actually is a subset of people who actively oppose/threaten their way of life, rightly or wrongly.