Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Is that tartar on the side?

Unrequested, yes. It was suspiciously runny so I stuck with salt and vinegar as per.

5 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Onyx, I'm going to be honest with you here; I'm unconvinced by the fish. 

Unfortunately I snap(pered) it skin side up so it looks weird. I also suspect they use upper loin of cod for lunch portion which has a triangular shape, as opposed to the flat wide pieces you get usually.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, bigfoote said:

We had the deep fried Mars bar. We had the deep fried Creme Egg. I present to you...the deep fried Chocolate Orange

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-lincolnshire-45758126/deep-fried-chocolate-orange-hits-plates-at-chip-shop

http://www.adamsbay.co.uk/

I drive past that place a couple of times a week. In the name of the UKFF chippy thread I will go in and try it. 

• Paid Members

Forgot to post this. There's a break in the seasons of my Man v Fat league so allowed myself a Chippy Tea a few nights ago. You might have read on the BBC website about the Hull Pattie recently. A glorious battered pattie of mashed potato and sage. Fantastic with a load of salt and vinegar. Here's mine with 1/2 portion of chips (gotta keep them calories down), peas and gravy. Absolutely devine. I now live across the road from a great chippy and a good chinese. There's a superb Pizza place 100m away and a subway in the petrol station 5 doors down. It's heaven and hell.

image.png.8180ac6e8e62bb5b305847a2d0977096.png

• Paid Members

You in Liverpool @Mr_Danger? I asked for a Pattie in Liverpool once and the woman laughed at me. But they did something they called a "scallop" or "scollop" which was almost idencital but flatter and without the herbs.

@PunkStep The pattie is a Hull (or East Yorkshire more accurately) thing. Probably the name more than anything. A Pattie Butty is a great meal in itself. As above, I've come across variations. Once got sold a "Pattie" in Bridlington that had fish in the middle. Now we all know that's a fishcake. I called trading standards.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Once got sold a "Pattie" in Bridlington that had fish in the middle. Now we all know that's a fishcake. I called trading standards.

My mum told me that, back in the day, fishcakes were different to what they are now. Modern ones, as we see in shops, are minced/flaked fish mixed with mash, deep-fried in breadcrumb, but she said that back when she was a kid (1950s), a fishcake was a piece of fish put between two slices of potato, what they'd use for scollops/scallops nowadays, then put in batter and deep-fried. Apparently they were the choice of people who didn't have a lot of money.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

You in Liverpool @Mr_Danger? I asked for a Pattie in Liverpool once and the woman laughed at me. But they did something they called a "scallop" or "scollop" which was almost idencital but flatter and without the herbs.

North Wales but if I remember correctly it was a Chinese chippy. So like the kebab houses it wasn't a proper chippy.

There was a chippy by us that was a multicultural hub. They had the traditional chippies menu but had a basic donner meat spit set up and the kitchen connected to their Indian take away arm of the business. Miraculously both were quality. They then went and opened a 'fine dining' establishment next door. 

Anyway, the point of the story is they did a scollop and donner meat bap for £1.20. No wonder the fine dining restaurant didn't last 6 months.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• 2 weeks later...

A mate of mine got married yesterday at the Registry Office in Manchester yesterday.  So I did the right thing and went straight to Wrights Traditional after the ceremony and before the reception as there wasn't a sit down meal.  Proper wedding breakfast, this.

IMG_2722