Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Yeah, there's a few markets and shops around Brum that sell these. I get mine when I see them in multipacks. Always keep a bottle of the yogurt/mint in the cupboard. The other sauces range from good to okay but nothing to write home about (unless they cost £1 in a pack of 3). 

But honesty, my opinions on mint sauce in general are 'weird' but traditional standards. I don't just put it on lamb roast dinners or kebabs; I've been known to splash it onto a turkey or beef dinner. I even use it when making a curry; works wonders with all the other spices.

I don't know why I haven't posted this before, possibly because I think it will cause a few of you to have an aneurysm, but this is my local 'chippy'. https://www.bakedandbattered.co.uk/

Essentially, its half a chip shop, half a pizza takeaway. I don't really eat fish, but I have it on good authority that their cod is the best around, and to be honest, the pizzas are bloody nice, and they do deliver, in these bad boys no less 1435648003_6155.jpg&w=820&t=fit&q=85

but is bloody expensive and the other alternative, The Golden Plaice, a chinese chippy, is proper shit.

5 minutes drive to Superfish or Molesey Fish Bar gets you excellent, excellent chips, so that's where I head for my oi oi savelooooooooy and chips.

This thread inspired me to have a chippy tea last night from one of the oldest chippies on Teesside, Oxbridge Fish Bar.

86d925?filename=1537868833913_25-09-2018

Don't let the name fool you as they are all thick cunts round there and probably have not been within 1 mile of a university. 

Here is the menu:

Xe5I2oZ.jpg

Not a fucking kebab in sight as it should be. The only exotic things on the menu are haggis and cheese savoury which I believe is Cheese Coleslaw sandwiched between two potato slices, battered and deep fried. I've never tried it but if anyone is intrigued I am happy to sample it for the benefit of the UKFF. 

In the end I bought 1 Cod, 1 Large Sausage, 1 Large Chips, a portion of Fish Bits, 1 Large Mushy Peas and a can of shandy

The wife had Cod and Chips:

XLYWgs8.jpg

And I had Large Sausage, most of the Fish Bits (Young Pilchards and the hound had the rest) chips and mushy peas. Washed down with a nice cold can of Ben Shaw's shandy. 

xdDTgoc.jpg

It was fucking divine. 

Proper, English chippy menu that, well apart from the pineapple ring, that can fuck off.

Said before, anywhere that does kebabs, pizza's, southern fried chicken or any of that other guff shouldn't be classed as a chippy.

I'm not even sure a "Chinese chippy" is correct, they never quite taste the same in my opinion, I have one near me that is great for Chinese food, but ive given there chippy menu the benefit of the doubt two or three times now and whilst "ok" you can just tell that something isn't quite right.

I can understand why the above is on a plate as he's just ordered a load of food and split it with the misses, which again falls into another "chippy" rule for me, order your own stuff, don't share, and don't put it on a plate.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

The only exotic things on the menu are haggis and cheese savoury which I believe is Cheese Coleslaw sandwiched between two potato slices, battered and deep fried. I've never tried it but if anyone is intrigued I am happy to sample it for the benefit of the UKFF. 

I'd actually quite fancy seeing what that's about if you fancy snapping a photo next time you go there. Obviously have to also show it cut in half for an anatomical study.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

I am currently working on the laws of the Chippy.  This will be the definitive guide based on the fact that I eat a lot.

If it's anything like your Chinese recipe book, have at it.

• Paid Members

Mine would be:

Salt & Vinegar are the only acceptable condiments plus "American Chip Spice" if you're in Hull.

Nothing battered that isn't Fish, Sausage, Potato or Spam - Anything else is attention seeking.

Wooden forks only. No knives. Use your fingers.

Acceptable sauces - Peas, Curry, Gravy, Beans.

If open, tray and sauce straight on is allowed. If wrapped, paper only and sauce in a seperate tub EVEN IF IT IS PART OF A FUCKING MEAL DEAL!

Proper fishcakes with no actual fish only.

Everything available in a butty. Closed down if use any word but "butty". White breadcake with too much butter only. Eject anyone who asks for it "dry".

Must ask if you want salt & vinegar by law. Jail terms of minimum six months if you then forget to put it on. Extra three months if you sigh when asked to unwrap it and correct YOUR error.

No Vegans.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Said before, anywhere that does kebabs, pizza's, southern fried chicken or any of that other guff shouldn't be classed as a chippy.

You are so adamant you are correct about this statement you could be vegan. I bet you think those shops should be closed. Fuck 'Em they can find other jobs. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Making the post gluten free.