Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

This "proper chippies can't sell kebabs" business is doing my nut, as opposed to just accepting it for a regional difference, like some regions you have proper pubs that don't sell scratchings. Saying a proper chippy that's a proper chippy in every other sense (real chips, good fish, array of pies, sausages, mushy peas etc) isnt a proper chippy because it also sells donner meat is akin in my head to saying that Mania VIII isn't a proper WrestleMania because as well as Hogan, Piper and Savage in the ring and Gorilla on comms, it also had Ric Flair.

If virtually every proper chippy in my West Midlands hometown didn't also do donner kebabs, I doubt I'd have eaten one before the age of 18 when I moved out. And discovered the horror of what you call a kebab shop, where there are loads of non-chippy extras and weak fries instead of real chips and often no fish. Also means I hadn't eaten in a "proper chippy" according to you men until I was 18 either. Utter bollocks.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

This "proper chippies can't sell kebabs" business is doing my nut, as opposed to just accepting it for a regional difference, like some regions you have proper pubs that don't sell scratchings. Saying a proper chippy that's a proper chippy in every other sense (real chips, good fish, array of pies, sausages, mushy peas etc) isnt a proper chippy because it also sells donner meat is akin in my head to saying that Mania VIII isn't a proper WrestleMania because as well as Hogan, Piper and Savage in the ring and Gorilla on comms, it also had Ric Flair.

If virtually every proper chippy in my West Midlands hometown didn't also do donner kebabs, I doubt I'd have eaten one before the age of 18 when I moved out. And discovered the horror of what you call a kebab shop, where there are loads of non-chippy extras and weak fries instead of real chips and often no fish. Also means I hadn't eaten in a "proper chippy" according to you men until I was 18 either. Utter bollocks.

A proper chip shop has Fish as it's main menu item and cooks fresh potatoes for chips. If it sells things like Kebabs and Burgers, they are just additional offerings and does not change it's status.

If it is a shop that has Kebabs as it's main food item, but they sell fish, it's a kebab shop. And they nearly always use shitty frozen chips. I really don't understand why this is so hard to grasp

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Burgers

I bet this is a bone of contention too. My local proper chippy used to sell burgers. No buns, fancy condiments or salad, just the burger.... battered, obviously. Among the sausages, saveloys, pies and scallops.

I've just remembered as a kid it used to sell massive spring rolls for some reason. That was weird. They were nice though.

You're damn right. We all know the difference between chippy chips and fries. Kebab houses, chicken joints and pizza places do fries. If they have chippy chips, they're a chippy. I appreciate some of you adhere to the Bowler Rule but to dismiss a chippy because of doner meat on the menu is fucking stupid.  Me and air raid said pages ago how West Midlands ones always had doner meat, I guess the ones I grew up near should be struck off because they served those little tubs of cockles, or do a cheese fryit.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Read this @The King of Old School and you should finally understand, unless you are the sort of John Bull Englishman who when he goes abroad just shouts at the locals in English and complains "WHY DONT YOU FOREIGN WALLAH'S LEARN TO SPEAK A PROPER LANGUAGE. ALL I WANT IS PIE AND CHIPS. P-I-E, NO FOREIGN MUCK"

• Paid Members

It's got nothing to do with race or nationality for me, I just think it's a jack of all trades thing. If it's good, fair enough but I've rarely come across a place that does Pizza/Indian/Chinese//Fish and Chips that's any good. Each to their own and all.

Edited by tiger_rick

35 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Read this @The King of Old School and you should finally understand, unless you are the sort of John Bull Englishman who when he goes abroad just shouts at the locals in English and complains "WHY DONT YOU FOREIGN WALLAH'S LEARN TO SPEAK A PROPER LANGUAGE. ALL I WANT IS PIE AND CHIPS. P-I-E, NO FOREIGN MUCK"

Hmmm, yeah, a bit much that.

I love a good Chinese, Indian, Pizza like anyone else.

Anyway, I think Tiger Rick summed it up better than me, if you really want to call them chippys that's fine, but as said, pretty much every place ive been that does "a bit of everything" tends not to be too great, where as the real chippys that just do Fish, Chips, Sausage, Puddings, Pie's etc are just far, far superior.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members

The burger thing's interesting, because I once saw a place in Scotland that did battered burgers. Sounded good, but I only saw it on the menu too late, after I'd got my fish & chips.

What's the position on battered burgers?

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The burger thing's interesting, because I once saw a place in Scotland that did battered burgers. Sounded good, but I only saw it on the menu too late, after I'd got my fish & chips.

What's the position on battered burgers?

if it's not a piece of fish or sausage it can fuck off

Edited by Hannibal Scorch