Sign in to follow this  
zep81

Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

It's a big gamble. Very hard to see how the outlay is worth the risk. Probably why I'm not a Billionaire.  Vince is supposedly looking to put around $500M towards this. He must know something.

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

The hope is that people are still up for watching football during the big league’s off-season.

Exactly, the USFL during the 80s was moderately successful when it ran as a Spring league.  It was only when it tried to be a direct competitor that it got stomped.  (Great ESPN 30 for 30 on it and I won't spoil it by telling you who fucked it all up...)

Some have also tried to be the unofficial developmental league of the NFL where fringe players can go to get coached up.  I'm pretty sure that's what the AAF were going to try to position themselves as, but I could also be thinking about the UFL as there have been a lot of startup leagues recently.  That way you could attract a better calibre of not quite good enough for the NFL player.  The NFL used to run their own developmental league in NFL Europe/Europa that cost them (relatively) the grand total of fuck all, but they didn't even want to pay for that.  The college machine currently produces enough fresh meat and warm bodies for the grinder, outside of QBs as there aren't enough of them to go round, so there's no real incentive for the NFL to develop talent outside of the existing franchises.

EDIT: The USFL was also the last time that another league competed with the NFL for the signatures of talented players.

Edited by johnnyboy

5 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

The hope is that people are still up for watching football during the big league’s off-season.

Like those suckers that watch wrestling all year long.

20 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Exactly, the USFL during the 80s was moderately successful when it ran as a Spring league.  It was only when it tried to be a direct competitor that it got stomped.  (Great ESPN 30 for 30 on it and I won't spoil it by telling you who fucked it all up...)

Have you got a link to that 30 for 30? Only come across the USFL recently while doing some research on Doug Flutie and would like to know more. Considering how Person X fucked it all up, it might explain their issues with the NFL today

While it's not near the watch which Small Potatoes is, it's a decent enough intro to the USFL. Popped up in my recommendeds as I was just watching a video on the 1970's WFL. Spoiler warning - the WFL didn't last.

Edited by PowerButchi

I thought the 30 for 30 XFL was brilliant from the first time round. As someone who has never been into the NFL (or XFL the first time round) I was gripped to the documentary. 

So have we all got 2/1 odds that this dies another very quick death?

Original XFL wasn’t shown here was it? Although George Rymer at my school swore blind that he watched a game on Sky Sports

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I think this season might do not bad - they seem to have learned from their mistakes - first of all having a limited schedule and teams. 

The main difference is opting for Saturday and Sunday game days with only two games per day. So the viewing isn’t mega intense

i can see them simply dipping their toe this season and expanding in future as opposed to to quick. The rule changes look interesting and their marketing during Super Bowl/playoffs was quite heavy 

I reckon they’ve done the business the right way this time and really looking at the “sport” aspect of it rather than trying to bring entertainment and glitz to football like they did the first time.

looking forward to seeing it and glad we can watch it live in UK