Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

zep81

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Absolutely gorgeous uniforms though.Ā  The Orlando Apollos were basically playing in Amsterdam Admirals (RIP) colours.

Orlando-Apollos-Salt-Lake-2019-580-2-.jp

orlando-apollos-dominate-legends-inaugra

PHWOAR!

It looks like players with options aren't impressed with the XFL's pay offerings.

Ā 

Those jerseys do indeed look very good. I had a scan through their merchandise section and some of the casual shirts did look a bit underwhelming. Quite basic and simpleĀ looking.

As far as hiring a big NFL player. Would salary caps make that virtually impossible? That base salary does seem quite low for a professional league. Although not a bad wage if the player care package is of a professional level.

• Paid Members

Could someone explain to an American Football novice what the actual differences are between mainstream AF (NFL for example) and this incarnation? I kept reading about how XFL 'faster paced' but can I assume it will still move slow, have an overly-complicated set of rules and haveĀ time-outs and stoppages out of the wazoo?Ā Ā 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

Could someone explain to an American Football novice what the actual differences are between mainstream AF (NFL for example) and this incarnation? I kept reading about how XFL 'faster paced' but can I assume it will still move slow, have an overly-complicated set of rules and haveĀ time-outs and stoppages out of the wazoo?Ā Ā 

This one won't allow protesting against racism.

• Paid Members

Has this XFL got any chance at all of "making it"? The reason I ask is I have zero knowlage of the standards of the modern day NFL, but with the money they seem to be offering they are going to even struggle to attract second rate players, aren't they? Is there an obvious path for those who chose to take the little money on offer to make it to the NFL and thus earn earn the big money?Ā 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

There hasn't been a viable second professional league in American football in the last 30 years.Ā  Chances are low
Ā 

So is there a reason that there has made people try and set up a compeetitor recently(the AAF and now XFL Mark II), like maybe viewing figures dropping giving an indication fans are actually wanting an alternative?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

So is there a reason that there has made people try and set up a compeetitor recently(the AAF and now XFL Mark II), like maybe viewing figures dropping giving an indication fans are actually wanting an alternative?

This is what I was wondering.Ā 

Given how so often we hear about the sheer amount of money generated by the NFL, like the half-time show expenditures and all that, I would've thought it's at a level of popularity that wouldn't be conducive to setting up an alternative.

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

The hope is that people are still up for watching football during the big leagueā€™s off-season.

20 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Exactly, the USFL during the 80s was moderately successful when it ran as a Spring league.Ā  It was only when it tried to be a direct competitor that it got stomped.Ā  (Great ESPN 30 for 30 on it and I won't spoil it by telling you who fucked it all up...)

Have you got a link to that 30 for 30? Only come across the USFL recently while doing some research on Doug Flutie and would like to know more. Considering how Person X fucked it all up, it might explain their issues with the NFL today

• Moderators

While it's not near the watch which Small Potatoes is, it's a decent enough intro to the USFL. Popped up in my recommendeds as I was just watching a video on theĀ 1970's WFL. Spoiler warning - the WFL didn't last.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by PowerButchi