Sign in to follow this  
zep81

Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

3 hours ago, Loki said:

This is actually happening then?  I can't see this is going to be anything but a huge financial failure, but fair play.. the mad old bastard has got it off the ground.

Yeah, the draft took place last week.

I’ll be really interested to see how this plays out - the other start-up pro football league this year, the AAF, folded after about 6 weeks. The AAF model was based around having teams in areas/cities that don’t have NFL franchises, and assigning players to those teams based primarily on where they’d played in college to try to engender immediate local feeling towards the teams. It didn’t really work.

The XFL seems to have better TV outlet than the AAF did, and has deliberately gone into existing NFL markets.

3 hours ago, Statto said:

The AAF model was based around having teams in areas/cities that don’t have NFL franchises, and assigning players to those teams based primarily on where they’d played in college to try to engender immediate local feeling towards the teams. It didn’t really work.

Absolutely gorgeous uniforms though.  The Orlando Apollos were basically playing in Amsterdam Admirals (RIP) colours.

Orlando-Apollos-Salt-Lake-2019-580-2-.jp

orlando-apollos-dominate-legends-inaugra

PHWOAR!

It looks like players with options aren't impressed with the XFL's pay offerings.

Edited by johnnyboy

With Vince and the fool in the Whitehouse being so pally. The chances of Kaepernick playing in the XFL will be slim. Have any former NFL standouts turned up on XFL squads?

56 minutes ago, BigJag said:

With Vince and the fool in the Whitehouse being so pally. The chances of Kaepernick playing in the XFL will be slim.

They're paying less than 1/10th of what someone of his skillset could command too.

Have any former NFL standouts turned up on XFL squads?

In a word, no.  There's an odd 1st round pick here or there who didn't work out (Matt Elam who was at the Ravens) and the QB in the top QB tier with the most NFL experience started half a dozen games for the Raiders when they were abject rubbish.

15 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Absolutely gorgeous uniforms though.  The Orlando Apollos were basically playing in Amsterdam Admirals (RIP) colours.

Orlando-Apollos-Salt-Lake-2019-580-2-.jp

orlando-apollos-dominate-legends-inaugra

PHWOAR!

It looks like players with options aren't impressed with the XFL's pay offerings.

Those jerseys do indeed look very good. I had a scan through their merchandise section and some of the casual shirts did look a bit underwhelming. Quite basic and simple looking.

As far as hiring a big NFL player. Would salary caps make that virtually impossible? That base salary does seem quite low for a professional league. Although not a bad wage if the player care package is of a professional level.

Could someone explain to an American Football novice what the actual differences are between mainstream AF (NFL for example) and this incarnation? I kept reading about how XFL 'faster paced' but can I assume it will still move slow, have an overly-complicated set of rules and have time-outs and stoppages out of the wazoo?  

Edited by Accident Prone

1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

Could someone explain to an American Football novice what the actual differences are between mainstream AF (NFL for example) and this incarnation? I kept reading about how XFL 'faster paced' but can I assume it will still move slow, have an overly-complicated set of rules and have time-outs and stoppages out of the wazoo?  

This one won't allow protesting against racism.

Has this XFL got any chance at all of "making it"? The reason I ask is I have zero knowlage of the standards of the modern day NFL, but with the money they seem to be offering they are going to even struggle to attract second rate players, aren't they? Is there an obvious path for those who chose to take the little money on offer to make it to the NFL and thus earn earn the big money? 

36 minutes ago, BigJag said:

As far as hiring a big NFL player. Would salary caps make that virtually impossible?

The money they want to pay makes it impossible.  The MLS has ways around it for Beckham etc by taking X players out of the cap.  The salary for an XFL team is less than a big player would make on their own in the NFL.

33 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I kept reading about how XFL 'faster paced' but can I assume it will still move slow, have an overly-complicated set of rules and have time-outs and stoppages out of the wazoo?  

Yeah faster, rather than fast.  Running clock and 25 second okay clock as opposed to 40 seconds should speed it up a bit.  Most of the other error changes are gimmicky.

18 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Has this XFL got any chance at all of "making it"?

There hasn't been a viable second professional league in American football in the last 30 years.  Chances are low.

9 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

There hasn't been a viable second professional league in American football in the last 30 years.  Chances are low

So is there a reason that there has made people try and set up a compeetitor recently(the AAF and now XFL Mark II), like maybe viewing figures dropping giving an indication fans are actually wanting an alternative?

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

So is there a reason that there has made people try and set up a compeetitor recently(the AAF and now XFL Mark II), like maybe viewing figures dropping giving an indication fans are actually wanting an alternative?

This is what I was wondering. 

Given how so often we hear about the sheer amount of money generated by the NFL, like the half-time show expenditures and all that, I would've thought it's at a level of popularity that wouldn't be conducive to setting up an alternative.

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

The hope is that people are still up for watching football during the big league’s off-season.