Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

zep81

3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Vince has made it clear though this is his money, nothing to do with WWE in terms of financing, he had to make that abundantly clear because of the inevitable concerns from the other shareholders.

That's Louch's point though, this is Vince's independent venture but the XFL trademarks, etc were owned by WWE so he would have had to have paid to buy them or at least licence the name. It'll have to be declared at some point (I assume, during quarterly reports or similar) how much he paid WWE for the trademarks and if it wasn't a fair price WWE stakeholders may take issue with it.

so So far in his “not connected to wwe in any way list we have 

1- mass ( assumed free) promoting on wwe social media platforms 

2 - use of the wwe studios for the announcement 

3 - trademark recently registered by wwe (xfl) being used

think I’ll keep adding to this as it goes along 

Edited by Louch

2 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

That's Louch's point though, this is Vince's independent venture but the XFL trademarks, etc were owned by WWE so he would have had to have paid to buy them or at least licence the name. It'll have to be declared at some point (I assume, during quarterly reports or similar) how much he paid WWE for the trademarks and if it wasn't a fair price WWE stakeholders may take issue with it.

What the fuck would be considered a less than fair price for the XFL trademarks? Even if the transaction was $0, they'd have to be taking the piss a bit to stand up and say it's worth more than that.

• Paid Members

I'm completely amazed that the stock didn't take a hit on this. It's bound to hurt Vince's focus towards WWE. Having said that, the stock has been high partly due to investors believing that WWE could get close to 400m in rights fees for the new TV contract when it comes due, and also that all the people that sign up for the network for 3 months and pay $1.99 will still count towards the overall "paid" subscriber number. So I guess it's fair to say that, surprisingly, investors aren't scratching too far below the surface on things.

38 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

What the fuck would be considered a less than fair price for the XFL trademarks? Even if the transaction was $0, they'd have to be taking the piss a bit to stand up and say it's worth more than that.

If he is taking that name and investing $100 million into it, it aint worthless 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Louch said:

Only to him so far, though - the league doesn't even exist yet, so as of now, the brand and trademark isn't worth anything. Pitcos is talking in terms of how the market and the rest of the world would value it. In current terms, based on a combination of historic precedent and the fact it's only just been announced, XFL as a brand is worth very little indeed. If it's successful, then it might be worth something. Investing $100m into it doesn't mean anything in itself; as far as anyone not named McMahon is concerned, it's probably $100m spunked up the wall.

39 minutes ago, Louch said:

Of course it’s worthless, it’s his biggest failure. He’s investing that money into it to change that perception and repair his ego. It’s of no value to anyone else. If Vince got it for a tenner on a Thursday, waiting until Friday wasn’t going to see an offer of five mil for it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

I see, gotcha

If you say xfl people still remember it, even for the worst reasons. In business you can’t just transfer an asset like that to your own company on the side and expect no blowback on it 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Louch said:

If you say xfl people still remember it, even for the worst reasons. In business you can’t just transfer an asset like that to your own company on the side and expect no blowback on it 

That's the point, though. Something is only worth the market perception, and the XFL, based on the fact that it bombed worse than the Enola Gay, is now associated with failure - it is considered at best a worthless asset, and at worst a money-loser. Being remembered isn't worth anything by itself, it's how it's remembered is what gives it value.

Put it this way: if I decided to start up a department store chain called British Home Stores, just how much do you think I'd be able to get from outside investors? It wouldn't be much, because I'd be using a brand forever remembered as a failure that collapsed spectacularly and amid much controversy.

Edited by Carbomb

The trademark was renewed by wwe so yes. 

@Carbomb , if you opened a new British Home stores, the creditors of the old one would be after you as it still there trademarked name, and want money for it before you could use it. Wwe is owned by shareholders, Vince is the majority but he isn’t the only. In the unlikely event it does become a money maker, that he has siphoned off a wwe asset( or arguable value agreed) is still not how business is down  without blowback 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Louch said:

The trademark was renewed by wwe so yes. 

@Carbomb , if you opened a new British Home stores, the creditors of the old one would be after you as it still there trademarked name, and want money for it before you could use it. Wwe is owned by shareholders, Vince is the majority but he isn’t the only. In the unlikely event it does become a money maker, that he has siphoned off a wwe asset( or arguable value agreed) is still not how business is down  without blowback 

I get that part. But it seemed like you were saying something about the value of the brand, which is different to what you raised. Given the sheer lack of value of the XFL brand, if it was owned by WWE and not Vince, I'm sure he'd have bought it off them for something like a dime or a dollar, given that he's been so adamant that it would be separate from WWE. Otherwise, maybe it was always the case that he personally owned the brand and not WWE.