Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

zep81

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

It often gets typed, but it's staggering how knackered Vince looks and sounds these days.

Anyway, he talked a good game - basically promising to learn from his previous mistakes. No WWE talent, no Vince out front going "THIS IS THE XFEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!" before games, hiring experts to help him etc. We'll see. He promised the same last time.

Wow. Bowler might be closer to realising his dream than we all thought.

In twenty years time, when he starts up the XFA with Leeds Thursday, Liverpool Orient, and the Manchester Rocky Futures, we'll all remember how we laughed at him, especially when he strikes a deal to have Pukka Pies sold with peas at half-time.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Undefeated Steak said:

You talk to anyone under the age of 18 and they spend more time watching YouTubers talking about naff all or playing video games than they do real sports. It's already massive but yeah, they think it's still miles away from how big it will get. The number of people who watch some of the big esports tournaments and events is *insane*. There are a ton of tournaments now where there's $1,000,000 prizes. Search google images for 'esports tournament'. They look like Wrestlemania already. 

Capcom & Sony put up a $500,000 prize for whoever wins the Capcom Cup event every December. Evo is practically Mania weekend for fighting games fans with the final day of the whole thing broadcast on ESPN in the states. I think Korea and Sweden both have entire tv channels dedicated to eSports. Even the BBC jumped on board with it and showed some over the summer, albeit on BBC3. The International, which is the DOTA 2 world championships had a $27million prize pool last year. There's money in esports. I'd guess NFL attendance numbers are down because it's likely cheaper to subscribe to the NFL Network and get some buddies round with a beer than try to get tickets to the game and sit there for 5 hours in the cold. I know football over here isn't as time consuming, but if Sky & BT Sports get their way and all the 3pm kickoffs get moved to other times live football attendances may fall as well, at least for the Premier League. Why pay hundreds for a season ticket when you can pay a tenner a month and never have to leave the house. YEs, there's the atmosphere, but there's also not having to worry about parking or paying £3 for a bottle of pop.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Actually a pretty good idea, Xavier Woods - for obvious reasons - would be a natural host/presenter for it. And it's a market that's supposedly going to grow massively over the coming years. I still don't understand why.

I want this to happen so badly. There is no one on earth less suited to running a esports league than Vince McMahon. He'd end up having a Double Dragon tournament with the show hosted by ZZ Top.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Vince said that there will be no crossover with the wrestling business at all. I can't imagine though that he won't use their TV reach to try and get eyes on the XFL. 

Considering the announcement was promoted on WWE's social media accounts, and Corey Graves basically outed Vince to anyone who hadn't already figured out that Vince broadcast the whole thing from a WWE production suite, I think you're absolutely right, and that he has a very different definition of "no crossover" to me.

I'm assuming he just means "it won't be Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura on comedy again". The XFL broadcasts themselves, if they ever happen, won't reference WWE, but I very much doubt the opposite will be true - we'll see XFL players front row at pay-per-views, and adverts on the Network.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Did Vince talk about the rules at all? With all the talk of brain trauma etc in the NFL are they still going with 'no safe catches' etc? Seems crazy if they are.

He was very vague with details like that. Usually saying "I'll ask experts and fans what they think", but he did sort of play up player safety, a bit. Really, anything could happen, just it will be right fast.

25 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Considering the announcement was promoted on WWE's social media accounts, and Corey Graves basically outed Vince to anyone who hadn't already figured out that Vince broadcast the whole thing from a WWE production suite, I think you're absolutely right, and that he has a very different definition of "no crossover" to me.

I'm assuming he just means "it won't be Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura on comedy again". The XFL broadcasts themselves, if they ever happen, won't reference WWE, but I very much doubt the opposite will be true - we'll see XFL players front row at pay-per-views, and adverts on the Network.

It's worth noting he said similar things last time, but WWE and Vince were all over the games.

Vince just can't help himself, which is why it will be fun seeing him on week 3 in a uniform and popping a knee trying to take out Tim Tebow.

1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

Did Vince talk about the rules at all?

The whole thing amounted to: "We have a logo. Oh, and if they don't stand for the anthem, get those sons of bitches off the field [/noTrump]."

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

When asked about  not having a cross over with the WWE, I'm guessing Vince just meant that you won't see John Cena turning out for the San Diego Ducks or something.

It will be plastered all over WWE programming I can guarantee it.

It’s already plastered over their social media. But they’re completely separate entities. Honest. Nothing to do with WWE. But WWE will be promoting us every minute of every day. But still. Separate.

• Paid Members

The whole idea of launching it now is baffling to me. The WWE is obviously being used as the launching pad, but this will fail.

The XFL was launched when the WWF was hot and arguably the coolest its ever been. God knows what they’re expecting now the fanbase has regressed to basically the most hardcore who idolise indy starlets. Mad.