Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

zep81

Trademarks for the URFL, UFrL and UFL have been filed

https://www.thescore.com/news/1447964 

UFL stands for United Football League. The other is reportedly rumoured to be for a Fitness league (Im assuming like Fitness competitions ala the Arnold Classic) or could be another trademark related to the Football league.

Edited by Really Big Shoe

Surely its impossible to go anywhere near an NFL style sport given the current lawsuits and knowledge surrounding CTE. The NFL are being sued because they possibly had knowledge of its existence and didnt do anything, anyone starting a brand new league when all of the information is already out there is opening themselves upto lawsuits by allowing players to make that sort of contact. Especially as the XFL was founded with the promise of being rougher and more physical than NFL.

• Paid Members

I saw somebody suggest that a sort of American football/rugby league type thing could work. Lose all the helmets and teach people how to tackle, dissuading players to use their heads like a battering ram and (hopefully) solving the CTE issue. 

Article here http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sdut-rugby-head-injuries-safety-2016may16-story.html regarding the safety of Rugby vs Football. Seems it's fairly balanced with CTE being discovered in Rugby players brains too. This was an eye opening statistic

In the most extensive study conducted comparing rugby and football, an Auckland University of Technology group examined the number of catastrophic incidents resulting in paralysis or death in sports between 1975 and 2005. It found that, other than in England, where injuries were fewer, rugby incidents worldwide caused 4.6 catastrophic injuries for every 100,000 players. Football had 75 percent fewer, at 1.0.

Thinking about it, the NFL is being sued because they tried to keep information about CTE behind closed doors. I suppose if all information is public and players are aware of the risks going on, then theres not much the governing body can be criticised for. I still dont think id want to get involved in that potential risk though.

• Paid Members
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, Your Fight Site said:

It’s been filed by WWE, not this Alpha Entertainment though.

This is interesting - potentially sticking XFL footage on the Network as early hype for whatever UFL/Ur-FL will end up being?

17 hours ago, AVM said:

Quite surprised MMA hasn’t been considered. It’s a fairly saturated market, but a buyout and rebrand of Bellator could be an option?

As for XFL, I’m stunned that Vince is considering reviving it, but on the other hand it is Vince!

In addition to what Uncle Zeb said about the inherent distrust of a McMahon-run MMA promotion, Vince reportedly hates MMA, and doesn't "get it" at all. I think even if he saw dollar signs in it, he wouldn't ever go into that line of work.

16 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Wasn't it the case that WWE didn't want to play up their connection to Trump because he's such a divisive figure? Yet I can't imagine that any new football league won't at least a little bit be spurred on by Trump as a real football league where players don't dare 'disrespect' the anthem or the troops or whatever by kneeling, whereas the NFL is fake football or some shit? I can just see the tweets now. 

It certainly seems that way - I thought, even if the McMahons weren't close to Trump, that Vince would be over the moon at the prospect of getting Michael Cole to say, "WWE Hall of Famer and President of the United States", but they've barely touched on him. If Vince is exploring privately funded projects outside of WWE, we might see more of a Trump connection there, though.

Vince has sold over 3m worth of shares in WWE to fund his Alpha Entertainment venture. The shares roughly equate to around $105m. Apparently he's staying in his current capacity in WWE, unless he will become more of a figurehead instead and that line is just to please the shareholders.

Edited by Really Big Shoe
Autocorrect

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, mim731 said:

That's presumably still not the majority of his shares though, is it? I can't imagine him leaving himself open to being ousted. 

Nowhere near. Although it was A stock. Vince still retains 40% of the B stock and 80% of the voting rights on the board.

• Paid Members

Out of curiosity, do any of you know how the NFL works in conjunction with social media/audience interaction etc?

It strikes me that much like footy, that sports in general keep players on a high pedestal, and aren’t terribly accessible by fans and public.

I was chatting with a pal about this and we both wondered if there was anyway to channel the concept of interactive reality TV, through sports. Make it more personal for the viewer, more accessible and viewer directed.

It could be anything from team fans voting on the season strip, music auditions for entrance themes, viewers book the half time show, even as far as doing a tough enough style competition, potentially to viewers picking the winner when it gets to the last two. I’m plucking these out of the air at the moment. Obviously the interactivity would be contained, but if the viewer feels they are part of the show, much like with reality tv, there could be longer term engagement.