Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

zep81

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Can surely only be because of the documentary? Sure it was a failure the first time but the pub from the 30 for 30 enough to make people take an interest?

IDK, people will probably take an interest because "XFL", but that may purely be for car crash reasons. Even the doc turned the whole thing into a bit of a joke.

I just don't know if you can salvage something from what the XFL represents, which was a massive failure; sneered at by legit sports outlets and fans. It's a brand name of some value, but its future value may be negated by its previous failings.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Keeping the XFL name?... I wouldn’t expect anything else from Vince. Firstly, it has the ‘rise from the ashes’ theme, akin to billionaire who grew up in a trailer park. He will be absolutely intent on making a failure work. Loads of TV coverage, not just from the idea of starting a new league and the coverage he’ll get from that. He also has the benefit of ‘the name can’t be any wirse’ so can only get better (in a way).

Secondly, it’s not going to be normal American footy, it assume and hope it’s going to be smeared in absolute nonsense, scripted promos, interviews focusing on player beef, mini off shoot docs. The lot.

I can’t see it being a serious sport. It’s will be riddled with razzmatazz... I hope.

• Paid Members

It often gets typed, but it's staggering how knackered Vince looks and sounds these days.

Anyway, he talked a good game - basically promising to learn from his previous mistakes. No WWE talent, no Vince out front going "THIS IS THE XFEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!" before games, hiring experts to help him etc. We'll see. He promised the same last time.

He was selling hard that it will be a much faster game. IIRC, no half time being talked about and trying to get the games down to under 2 hours.

Vince also distanced himself from Trump.

$100million initial investment. "Absolutely" no crossover with WWE in any way. 8 teams, centrally owned. 10 week season. Interesting that Vince is stating basically he's the money man and won't have any front-line involvement.

I think giving himself 2 years to set this up is key. Last time, it was rushed and it showed. Let's see what happens.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, John Matrix said:

We're also overlooking the obvious possibility that this could of course, finally, be the acquisition of Newcastle United.

Well, that means we still have the chance of this announcement on transfer deadline day, Vince live in the studio with Jim and Merson.. Cammy live from St James Park, fans push ‘foreign objects’ in to the side of his face.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

We're all in agreement that this is going to be a total fucking disaster, right?

I hope so. The XFL was hilarious. In fact most of the things Vince does outside the wrestling bubble are hilarious. 

I want something delightfully stupid to file next to Gary Strydom,  He Hate Me and the May 19th cross promotion in the history books. 

It'll be fine. He can sell ad-spac...oh wait, less commercial breaks, no halftime for them either.

It's ok, he has a national broadc...oh, no NBC on board like last time

What about franchisi...ah, he said no franchises, all centrally-owned.

Well, let's see the old carny bastard sell this.

On a serious note, $100m is just the value of the shares he sold, could well be he's putting personal cash up too.