Vince McMahon forms and funds Alpha Entertainment: Possible XFL Revival

zep81

With CBS on board for the Ebersol Jr football league, Fox with the NFL, it surely closes a lot of doors for Vince. He ideally needs a major network to pick up the XFL. ABC I doubt would want it, NBC is a outside possibility but they got burnt before, CW could be likely but I have a feeling they'll be broadcasting games via the WWE Network. Shouldn't Vince call it quits now and say it was an early April fools day joke.

• Paid Members

CBS also show the NFL, and the new league is a 'summer' league. From what I've read, the XFL will be too, and could easily end up on Fox. It makes the most sense considering who is involved. Ebersol Snr is still an advisor with NBC, which doesn't look like an immediate fit for the revamped XFL, but you never know, and Ebersol Jr directed the recent XFL 30 for 30 documentary which is a lovely little addition to it all.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Just announced that Oliver Luck (a former NFL quarterback & father of current Colts QB Andrew) is to be CEO/Commissioner of the XFL.

He's got a pretty distinguished background in sports administration, so they seem to be going down the 'serious' route for now... 

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Thought Trump already had her in doing something? 

He does, but she was running for elected office, her role is appointed. It's like the difference between a cabinet minister and a government advisor.  Mind you, I can picture Vince asking Donnie to give her a milk monitor job to keep her out of Vinces magnificent hair for 4 years.

• 1 year later...

This is actually happening then?  I can't see this is going to be anything but a huge financial failure, but fair play.. the mad old bastard has got it off the ground.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Loki said:

This is actually happening then?  I can't see this is going to be anything but a huge financial failure, but fair play.. the mad old bastard has got it off the ground.

Yeah, the draft took place last week.

I’ll be really interested to see how this plays out - the other start-up pro football league this year, the AAF, folded after about 6 weeks. The AAF model was based around having teams in areas/cities that don’t have NFL franchises, and assigning players to those teams based primarily on where they’d played in college to try to engender immediate local feeling towards the teams. It didn’t really work.

The XFL seems to have better TV outlet than the AAF did, and has deliberately gone into existing NFL markets.