Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I always thought that first word in the X-Pac song was “EX-PLOOOOODE”. I don’t know why it would be but I guess he has pyro maybe?

Voice activated pyro. "Alexa, turn on the lights." 

BonyWebbedChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

I was watching an old BritWres DVD recently and saw a guy taking a vertabreaker (badly, it looked like shit) to absolutely no reaction. I was at a Brit Wres show just after this in a similar venue and saw a huge pop for a backdrop.

In wrestling in general, I think a lot of the time you need to weigh up what you want to do with what the audience expect. Wrestlers always want to push themselves to try new things, or hit fancier, bigger spots, because there's a rush from that like @IANdrewDiceClay said, and because you want to try and get your shit in, to show what you can do.
But if your audience aren't a die-hard wrestling crowd, a lot of the bigger fancier stuff doesn't get over, but back drops, bodyslams and simple strikes do, because to the layperson they're far more immediately understandable. I've been at shows during a pre-show speech from the promoter who has flat out said, "tone down the lucha stuff tonight, this crowd will pop for a bodyslam". 

Obviously that depends on your audience. The crowd that are turning up for a big NJPW show are going to expect more than a holiday camp match. And, again, my issue is less with Naito and Ibushi doing this spot on the biggest stage, and more for the kind of indie wrestlers and indie crowds that will try and repeat, or one-up, this spot and others like it for more risk and less reward.

10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

It wasnt just me who thought Chris Warrens was yelling "X-PAAAAAAAAC!" at the start of the X-Pac theme was it?

It's not?! 

I probably need to be clear that I wouldn't expect the Ibushi match to be full of back drops and "Shall I?" chops. My point is more about risk and reward. In general I don't think moves on the apron are necessary in any match, although I totally understand the need to 'ramp it up' on the bigger stage in front of a smarter crowd. I think they could easily have left this particular spot out without harming the match at all. 

• Paid Members

If anything, I'd drop apron spots because they're just overdone more than because they're dangerous. I don't know how it is in Japan, but if you hit an apron spot on a BritWres or US indie show, chances you'll get a group of smart-arses shouting "hardest part of the ring!" and having a laugh about it.

Compare that to the response when Kevin Owens first powerbombed Sami Zayn into the ring apron in NXT and it was sold like death.

I know wrestling is a world of diminishing returns, but I wouldn't object to a moratorium on apron spots so that when they do occur they can be a bit more impactful and shocking again. 

18 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

To me it comes across as people having a bit of a moan because they were forced to feel legit concern for somebody, but then didn't know how to get back into the swing of things afterwards.

What a bizarre characterisation of not wanting people to die.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I stand by my opinion that most people are having a bit of an over-reaction to the spot. Would it be the same reaction if they pulled it off successfully? To me it comes across as people having a bit of a moan because they were forced to feel legit concern for somebody, but then didn't know how to get back into the swing of things afterwards.

If these guys want to work this style then I'm not going to complain, as it's a style that I really enjoy. They aren't being forced into it, they aren't working it into every single match and the schedule is there to help their bodies cope with the insanity.

Why do they have to work that style though? Wrestling existed for decades and did quite well without people dropping each other on their heads and risking their actual lives for a mid-match spot. It's just absolutely nonsensical. If they were as good as is claimed then surely they could find a way of doing what wrestling used to be and that's hitting spots that make it look like they're going to die but are absolutely as safe as houses.

• Paid Members

Or you can do any and all? Crazy bumps get a reaction. High flying gets a reaction. Well worked comedy gets a reaction. Promos from a well-established character get a reaction. There's no right or wrong way, as long as what you're doing engages your audience. 

And again, I stress the point; would this discussion even be happening if the spot went through as planned? It was an unfortunate fuck-up but I've seen botches from simple sunset flips that have been just as brutal. Would the same discussion be abound if that happened?

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

And again, I stress the point; would this discussion even be happening if the spot went through as planned? It was an unfortunate fuck-up but I've seen botches from simple sunset flips that have been just as brutal. Would the same discussion be abound if that happened?

There are probably thousands of sunset flips performed in wrestling shows all over the world every week. How many apron Germans are there? 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Or you can do any and all? Crazy bumps get a reaction. High flying gets a reaction. Well worked comedy gets a reaction. Promos from a well-established character get a reaction. There's no right or wrong way, as long as what you're doing engages your audience. 

Surely, if all of those things get a reaction, doing one that is significantly more dangerous than the others is the wrong way?