Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

43 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I'm not sure you understand my post. And/or what a Strawman argument is. 

I spent a good few minutes wondering what the heck Braun Strowman has to do with this debate til I realised what it said.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Just to even things out after posting that Ibushi spot and declaring it the stupidest spot of the year, here’s my new favourite spot of the year. I’ve never actually seen a DDT show but it looks like the most fun ever.

Love me some DDT! I need to buy some more of their stuff. Well, any of it really, I learnt mine to a mate and they went missing (DVDs not the friend).

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

In Japan? None of this is my bag but dropping each other on the back of their heads for a mid-match spot has been a staple for years.

Vending machines full of knickers and wasabi KitKat's have been a staple in Japan for years, doesn't make them right.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Vending machines full of knickers and wasabi KitKat's have been a staple in Japan for years, doesn't make them right.

Had some Sake kit kats recently. That's an experience. Call's itself a treat box though and we've not had any knickers yet. What's going on there?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Had some Sake kit kats recently. That's an experience. Call's itself a treat box though and we've not had any knickers yet. What's going on there?

That reads misleading, to be clear I'm referencing two separate vending machines. They don't mix the worn panties and rank KitKat's, they aren't wierdos.

Although I guess someone must want to take a break after they've inhaled a worn gusset. There's untapped market synergy there.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Love me some DDT! I need to buy some more of their stuff. Well, any of it really, I learnt mine to a mate and they went missing (DVDs not the friend).

He even managed to reverse it on the way down. Top work

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Duke said:

That's a bit chicken and egg though, isn't it? Those people are desperate for the more dangerous stuff because that's what the wrestlers give them. Ibushi could definitely still get the crowd going without doing those spots. 

It's a long term disaster waiting to happen, isn't it? Doing more and more dangerous spots because that's what thst audience wants. It's all fine until someone gets internally decapitated. 

For the record, this is true of all of the stupid, decided in an adrenaline rush stuff, this is just the latest example. 

Agreed. Surely it will hit a wall at some point too, won't it? All the ridiculously dangerous moves that can be done will have been done and then where do the likes of Ospreay go?

I go back to my point about why wrestlers can't just do stuff that *looks* like it hurts anymore. Look at Bobby Eaton for instance. He was one of the greatest of all time because all the stuff he did looked like it hurt, especially that top rope legdrop. Yet he's regarded as one of the most comfortable workers ever. Look at the reactions he used to get too. It's been a real eye-opener watching these old WCW PPVs, the crowds loved him even though he was almost always a heel. Because he did stuff that was exciting and looked hard-hitting. We don't want to see people carking it in the ring so why aren't we, as audiences, pleading for wrestlers to actually not die rather than chanting it and not meaning it?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

WWE should definitely steal that for Hardcore 24/7, that's great.

Absolutely. If an episode of Raw was interspersed with clips of Drake, Truth and company scrapping at the swimming baths it’d honestly go down as one of the best shows in years. Just look at how much fun this is!

I’ve got to seek this show out. I’ve not even seen it and it’s already a match/show of the year candidate.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Some egregious namedropping here, but a wrestler I've worked with was talking to me about having worked with Misawa. They were in a house show tag, and apparently Misawa was furious at him for putting a headlock on too tight, and later in the match was throwing strikes that missed by a country mile.

I'm no expert on Japanese wrestling, but didn't Musawa die in the ring?  From a back body drop?  Because his neck was completely fucked from taking head bumps for years?

Probably not therefore the perfect example.

• Paid Members

It's a year since Vader passed away. Just  came up on my Facebook memories, Still saddening. I was big fan.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Loki said:

I'm no expert on Japanese wrestling, but didn't Musawa die in the ring?  From a back body drop?  Because his neck was completely fucked from taking head bumps for years?

Probably not therefore the perfect example.

He did, yes - and in many respects that does make him a good example for at least half of my point; my concerns at the moment are that fewer shows these days are seen as inconsequential enough that the workers will be comfortable not going at full pace. As a global audience are able to watch practically every show, the pressure is going to be on to not have "house show" matches and to take these kind of risks more and more often. If the style got to Misawa even when he was only pulling it out for the big matches, how badly will it hit people working even harder, without an "off day"?

I'm always reluctant to point to those who have passed away in the ring to support my point, though. Aside from the morbidity of it, Perro Aguayo Jr died after a kick to the back, Silver King kicking out of a pin, Gary Albright after a Bulldog. Even Misawa's death came after a move he'd taken countless times, not a flashy, overtly high risk spot.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

He did, yes - and in many respects that does make him a good example for at least half of my point; my concerns at the moment are that fewer shows these days are seen as inconsequential enough that the workers will be comfortable not going at full pace. As a global audience are able to watch practically every show, the pressure is going to be on to not have "house show" matches and to take these kind of risks more and more often. If the style got to Misawa even when he was only pulling it out for the big matches, how badly will it hit people working even harder, without an "off day"?

I'm always reluctant to point to those who have passed away in the ring to support my point, though. Aside from the morbidity of it, Perro Aguayo Jr died after a kick to the back, Silver King kicking out of a pin, Gary Albright after a Bulldog. Even Misawa's death came after a move he'd taken countless times, not a flashy, overtly high risk spot.

Yeah, absolutely, and if we're honest those people didn't die of those moves, they died from years of punishment.  I personally think people should never be taking the sort of bumps that Musawa took even if he only took them a dozen times a year.

There's some really cool stuff that's a big part of wrestling now that looks devastating but isn't too dangerous - all these elbows and knees thrown now look great but you can land them safely.  Anything that involves landing on your head, or requires you to be inch perfect in accuracy or involves going blind over the top rope - that stuff I can honestly live without.

We're back where we were in the early 00s, where the hardcore style had become so popular and the ante upped so much that people were taking multiple unprotected chairshots to the head per match, chairshots to the back of the head, just to keep looking relevant, and we all know how that turned out.  The WWE had a major correction and also kind of reset everyone's finishers so you weren't kicking out of them multiple times.  I think the whole industry needs to help develop a slower, safer style otherwise we're going to get more tragic deaths.