Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

I’m a patreon at OSW Review, their Axcloooosive content is decent but on the thin side, you get deleted scenes from some shows and they’ve also reviewed Super Mario Bros the movie, Alien, Aliens, WWE countdown and Pro Wrestlers Vs Zombies.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, NoUseforaUsername said:

Anyone else have random things that remained obstinate in the memory from their time spent watching as a kid when most else ended up forgotten?

The Headhunters in the 1996 Royal Rumble. Must have only seen clips of it on a highlight show, as there was no way I would have been watching the actual PPV. Watching it back, they're barely in it, but I remembered it being amazing that you had this two big identical twin blokes that you couldn't tell apart, and how one was eliminated, but got back in, and the ref couldn't do anything about it because he didn't know which was which. In my memory, it was a big deal, but it probably all lasted about a minute. I think I conflated them with Yokozuna in my memory, too, cos I always thought they were sumo wrestlers.

My brother recently found a bunch of old diaries and random bits and bobs and, for some reason, there's my old school planner/diary from around 2000. I don't remember any of this, but I had written the names of the WWF roster all over it (as far as I can tell) but, inexplicably, at one point just written "MIDGETS".

• Paid Members

I watched Rumble 96 with Rob Butcher and Fin Martin and when the Headhunters got thrown out in a minute, Fin was groaning at the thought of getting letters from readers saying "I thought you said these guys were good, but they are obviously rubbish" and he'd have to come up with a reply other than "Look, it's because wrestling's all fake and they scripted it that way."

• Paid Members

I miss the days of complete randomers showing up in the Rumble like that. A comeback or a cameo is always great, but there's something special about mid-90s Rumbles having the odd, "hang on, who the fuck is that?" moment.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Mantaur was there about 6 months though, to be fair. 

My personal favourite was "youngster" Carlos Colon in 1993.

Made crazier by the fact they were doing an 'old timer back for one more shot at glory' thing with Backlund who was about 5 years younger than the "youngster" Colon. I think Gorilla was just pissed.

• Paid Members

This was the same Rumble when Gorilla was banging on about Backlund being on his zimmer frame while in the ring with the 'in his prime' Ric Flair, who is older than him.

JR referring to Shawn Michaels as 'that young man' repeatedly in 2004-5 like my nan refers to relatives in their 50's was another example of this sort of shite.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Mantaur was there about 6 months though, to be fair. 

My personal favourite was "youngster" Carlos Colon in 1993.

"plenty of fire in this youngster", classic Gorilla call.

Colon was 45.

• Paid Members

Doug GIlbert in 95 was another one I remember thinking was odd, given the lack of access to USWA (not that it would have helped me, given it turns out Gilbert was working some sort of Freddy Kreuger gimmick at the time apparently in Memphis), but he didn't make much of a mark. Love a mid 90s rumble, such a mixed bag of random returns, debuts and one-offs. 

The Doug Gilbert one was especially funny because, if I remember right, Perfect on commentary, who wasn't prone to many great moments, actually tried to put over the USWA storyline over, saying "Didn't he have to win a battle royal or something to earn this spot, McMahon?", tying to plug the prestige of being in the match, and Vince himself just blew it off and said, "I don't know!" in his high-pitched hype voice.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

"plenty of fire in this youngster", classic Gorilla call.

Colon was 45.

At the time I thought Gorilla was just clueless and was just talking rubbish but I later found out that Monsoon had part ownership of WWC, had spent loads of time in Puerto Rico (Victor Quinones was allegedly his illegitimate son) and clearly knew full well exactly who Carlos was.