Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

It did make him look a total pillock, but they could have played it off as instinct to go for the pin after hitting his finisher. Years of hitting it night in night out, it would be a reflex action for Macho, but he would look a numpty for not knowing the rules of the Royale Rumble Match, especially after they had to cover for him the previous year after he jumped over the top rope in pursuit of Jake Roberts

• Paid Members

the reason i thought it might have been a blown spot was because after Macho hit the double axe handle he went back up top to hit another but Yoko wobbled and fell over. He may have hit the elbow at point simply not to look like a tit stood on the top tope. Macho was out of position to his an elbow too.

22 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

The thing is, he's not 'over' is he? His entrance is to a degree, but hes not over enough to be main eventing the Rumble as far as I can see.

I agree that Balor isn't really over. But the Rumble match itself is the main event, so they can get away with a not so big title match on the undercard. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I've always thought they wanted to do that spot were Yoko throws him out from on his back and thy were prepared to let Savage look like a fucking idiot to acheive it.

To be fair the guy eliminated himself at the 92 Rumble and they had to come up with a flimsy reason why he was allowed back in, have'nt seen the 93 Rumble in years but perhaps Savage just got caught up in the moment.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

just watched the finish of the 93 Royal Rumble...has it ever been explained why Macho Man went for a pin on Yokozuna? was that a blown spot or are we just to believe that Macho was a bit stupid?

06_RR_01241993_0004-326901180.jpg

This has bothered me WAY more than it should ever since I watched it back in '93...

I took the (Kayfabe) reason at the time to be that he was knackered and went for the pin out of instinct. But looking at it with more mature eyes, and knowing that Vince considered him a spent force around this time(and wanted him to move into commentary full time), it may be that he thought the damage it may do to his character was worth it to make Yoko look strong.

It played into the finish though, which is the issue. Savage puts himself into a position which leads to his downfall because he, in Kayfabe, does something outside of the rules of the match. If there had been a post match interview with him saying something like "I've hit that elbow for years, I naturally go for the pinball afterwards" or a similar line of commentary they could get away with it, but they just brush it off and Savage looks stupid as a result

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

That's fucking amazing. What was his response? 

9 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Haha. Their faces are brilliant, like they're both confounded by Al's logic.

Yeah, what did he say to that?

No idea. That was the screen shot they used as a teaser for the eventual release.

Savage always seemed to find himself at the centre of Royal Rumble inconsistencies. Remember when he was said to have been disqualified for not making it to the ring before the next entrant was counted in? We've seen at least one wrestler since then deliberately stalling beyond the two-minute interval and not lose their spot.

5 hours ago, Briefcase said:

I agree that Balor isn't really over. But the Rumble match itself is the main event, so they can get away with a not so big title match on the undercard. 

Yeah in years gone by its usually filler or lesser matches and feuds at the rumble like Lashley vs Test ECW Title (bad example) Lesnar vs Hardcore Holly, Punk vs Ziggler, Edge vs Ziggler and I'm sure there's more I've forgotten.

If its a decent match and Balor looks good and might re-ignite the crowd getting behind him and make him a fresh main event face, if not then no one has lost or gained anything and both men tick over another month closer to mania