Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Who is a better option than Balor at this point? As much as he's not great, he's about the only choice that hasn't already been battered by Brock. Strowman, and to a lesser extent Samoa Joe, are more exciting options but could do without another loss to Lesnar.

He's not AJ Styles over but he's pretty popular. Since his debut they've booked him not to lose often, a bit like Nakamura. Both are in the 90/10 Club rather than 50/50.

However, feeding him to Kane recently has probably ruined that. If that wasn't so fresh, I think you could build him as a threat. You still could but it's even less believable now.

It's sad that such a talent like Neville is in limbo while Balor is getting the Brock match, he has such a good look and his personality has shone since he came back as a bastard. Nev's a superworker too, I could see him having almost if not just as good a match as AJ had but with more of a emphasis on the "i'm smaller than you but I'm a hard as nails motherfucker" bit.

Balor's offence looks good enough that I'd buy him as a threat to Lesnar, more than AJ, Rollins or Punk in fact (his other little brother opponents to date). Its the big dropkicks. They look like they'd wreck you regardless of size.

Any smaller fella who wants to compete at the top of the card should have at least one big strike in their arsenal. HBK was the same size as Punk but was always more convincing against super heavyweights because no fucker likes being kicked in the jaw. Punk looked daft lifting even relatively normal sized opponents like Rock and Cena on to his shoulders for his finish.

• Paid Members

I disagree about Balor's offence looking strong. The dropkick on the outside, the running kick on the apron and the reverse DDT all look decent enough but the dropkick into the turnbuckle always looks fucking horrendous (other than the one time he did it to Itami), his Slingblade isn't as good as Rollins and the Coup de Grace usually looks weak. Plus his punches are generally horrible.

I do like Balor and think he's a perfect World Title contender for the Rumble where they don't need a huge title match, but next to Brock he'll look ridiculous. He doesn't have the authenticity with me that an AJ or Punk did when going against Lesnar.

Also, his aura has diminshed greatly recently, due to fannying around with Wyatt and being made to look like a chump by Kane everytime they interact. May aswell complete the jabroni trifecta and put him in a program with Ziggler.

• Paid Members

Was out for Christmas drunks with some of the wrestling lads on Saturday, went to a club having a half-arsed '80s night, and they had Big Daddy vs. Giant Haystacks on the telly when we walked in.

Got a decent laugh from everyone just for the timing of it, but then one of the guys - who grew up in Poland - just turns to me and says, "this is really old, right? Who are these guys", and found myself having to explain Big Daddy to someone with no frame of reference for British wrestling pre-2016.

It seems obvious that he just would have no idea who he was, but for a while it felt so alien knowing someone lacked this huge common point of reference that the rest of us all shared on some level. By the end of it I don't think he remotely believed me that Daddy was the star I was selling him as.

39 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Was out for Christmas drunks with some of the wrestling lads on Saturday, went to a club having a half-arsed '80s night, and they had Big Daddy vs. Giant Haystacks on the telly when we walked in.

Got a decent laugh from everyone just for the timing of it, but then one of the guys - who grew up in Poland - just turns to me and says, "this is really old, right? Who are these guys", and found myself having to explain Big Daddy to someone with no frame of reference for British wrestling pre-2016.

It seems obvious that he just would have no idea who he was, but for a while it felt so alien knowing someone lacked this huge common point of reference that the rest of us all shared on some level. By the end of it I don't think he remotely believed me that Daddy was the star I was selling him as.

Shirley it must have been EA-SY to explain?

• Paid Members

Watching the Destruction of the Shield documentary was the first time I’d seen the angle Mick Foley and Dean Ambrose shot before it came out that Mick couldn’t go anymore.

I love this. So different to everything else. Shot on a camera phone, no-one looks at the camera, it comes across as completely authentic and engaging. It’s not only a shame that this feud never materialised, but also a shame that they didn’t start doing more stuff like this. They wank themselves dry over social media week in and week out, yet almost never use it in cool ways like this.

• Paid Members

Just watched the latest chapter of Tim Storm's feud with Jocephus on the NWA Youtube channel. It went all of 6 minutes, both guys looked blown up after about 2, Storm botched his "Perfect Storm" finish, Jocephus almost botched the kickout and the finish was pretty weaksauce as well. Looks like they'll be participating in the world's shortest, lowest or both ladder match at some point. That belt needs to change hands, or they need to start sticking him in there with opponents that cane make him look better than he is.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

6 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Just watched the latest chapter of Tim Storm's feud with Jocephus on the NWA Youtube channel. It went all of 6 minutes, both guys looked blown up after about 2, Storm botched his "Perfect Storm" finish, Jocephus almost botched the kickout and the finish was pretty weaksauce as well. Looks like they'll be participating in the world's shortest, lowest or both ladder match at some point. That belt needs to change hands, or they need to start sticking him in there with opponents that cane make him look better than he is.

If he would take it they need to find a way to get that belt onto Cody Rhodes. With him being as prominent a star as there is right now outside of WWE and his family lineage he could really make that belt something again. Defend in New Japan etc.

Just watching a few Progress moments on Demand. Anyone wonder what it must be like for the bar staff/security when the entire crowd suddenly pops like crazy for someone showing up (think CCK at Vote Pies).

I wonder if any of them get into wrestling from wanting to share the experience, or do they think we are just crazy loons?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, the_mole said:

The belt was defended at Wrestle Kingdom about 3 years ago, I think Rob Conway was the champion and the ROH belts been defended the last few years.

Tenzan won it from Rob Conway in February 2015, then dropped it to a guy called Jax Dane that August who held it for over a year before dropping it to Tim Storm. Apparently Storm has been challenged by Tommy Dreamer, and again by Aldis, plus it looks like there's a ladder match with this Jocephus chap, whose gimmick is that he's an unfit Bruiser Brody. I'm a fine one to be calling people unfit, but then I'm not challenging for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship anytime soon.