Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

Why doesn't Reigns have to win the Universal Title to be classed as a Grand Slam Champion?

Michael Cole repeatedly stated he had won every title he possibly can yet has never held his own shows main Championship

Yes he has been WWE Champion before but if that Logic is being used where you've only got to win one of the 2 belts then why did he have to win the Intercontinental title when he has been the US Champion before so has ticked the secondary belt off the list already

I could understand it he was on a different show then the Universal title and has no chance to win it but he can compete for it 

Its nitpicking and of course doesn't really mater but was bugging me a bit. 

• Awards Moderator
40 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Why doesn't Reigns have to win the Universal Title to be classed as a Grand Slam Champion?

Michael Cole repeatedly stated he had won every title he possibly can yet has never held his own shows main Championship

Yes he has been WWE Champion before but if that Logic is being used where you've only got to win one of the 2 belts then why did he have to win the Intercontinental title when he has been the US Champion before so has ticked the secondary belt off the list already

I could understand it he was on a different show then the Universal title and has no chance to win it but he can compete for it 

Its nitpicking and of course doesn't really mater but was bugging me a bit. 

If you hadn't mentioned Cole talking about 'every title he possibly can' I'd have had an answer for this.

Using the idea of someone having been a 'triple crown' champion when they'd won the WWE, IC and Tag titles - which I'm sure they used to do on the WWF.com Superstars page - I always assumed that being a 'Grand Slam' champion was the next step up, i.e. you'd won four titles - WWE, IC, European and Tag.

I was clearly mistaken but you can see the kind of logic I was following.There were four 'main' titles you could win, plus Hardcore which you could switch out for one of the others, then you had the ones not everyone could win like the Light Heavyweight and Women's. So in a way, you kind of did become a Grand Slam champion with four, because that was virtually all there was.

Then came the Invasion and then the brand split and it all got too much, but on my basis, Reigns becomes a Grand Slam Champion with WWE, IC, US and Tag.

In short, Michael Cole's messing up my internal logic here.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Wikipedia users have actually tried to chart WWE's logic on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(professional_wrestling)

The general policy has been that it's four titles but which titles count varies. Current logic appears to be:

• Universal title or WWE title
  • US
  • IC
  • Raw tag or Smackdown tag

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it somewhere but Vince has said that Finn Balor isn't 'over' and has scrapped a match vs Lesnar at the Rumble between the two, Finn has been making a joke about it on Twitter/Instagram with putting 'over' into all his posts,

Anyway I wonder if wwe is trying to manufacture a Yes Movement type thing to get underdog support for him or if they really think he's only at a certain level or not over, which for all Balors faults which ofcourse he has, wwe has badly used him (like most guys) since Mania and can't blame him for not being as popular as he should be.

13 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

The thing is, he's not 'over' is he? His entrance is to a degree, but hes not over enough to be main eventing the Rumble as far as I can see.

I would have said Balor is the perfect candidate for a title match at the Rumble, sure he's not over enough to main event Mania, but for the Rumble he is ideal as the  main attraction is the Rumble match itself.