Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

My kids do the whole thing of buying the event poster and getting it signed by everyone after the show. They generally see faces and heels milling around together but, logically, they go to school with folk they don't like so for them it stands to reason that wrestlers would have to co-exist to a certain extent, regardless of whether they're goodies or baddies.

Their favourite thing is when a face signs the poster, if a heel is up next they'll write over the face's autograph or draw a moustache or something if the face's picture is on the poster. They're sort of being dicks but not towards the kids and the kids still get what they want out of it.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, mim731 said:

Not that I'm looking to start a conversation about it, but it has just occurred to me that the Montreal Screw job was twenty years ago today. Twenty years. 

And twenty years on, Vince punishes Canadians.

20 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

WWF/Vince McMahon/Jim JOHNSON can officially fuck off for not licensing 'California Love' by Dr Dre and Tupac as the theme song for Wrestlemania in 2000.

By my understanding they attempted to but Tupac's estate refused, so they just went ahead and made a knock-off version.

Was going to start a new thread re: Vague Childhood Wrestling Memories That Stuck With You For No Particular Reason, but, as I am incapable of  BombermanPat's wordsmithery and articulateness, I will stick them here.

Dean Douglas scraping his nails on the blackboard in a promo. A Rowdy Roddy Piper vignette with the bagpipes playing. British Bulldog and Shawn Michaels as the last two in the Royal Rumble. Looking at a picture of Ric Flair in a wrestling book I had from the mid-90s and thinking he was in his sixties even then. Hunter Hearst Helmsley against random Godwinn in an Arkansas Hog Pen match. Razor Ramon v The Kid in a Crybaby match. Bret Hart v Jerry Lawler in a Kiss my Foot match. The Summerslam theme music. The Iron Man match. Warbling Mankind promo in a dank room which may have had a rat in it.

Those are the main things I vaguely remembered watching as a child before the parents god rid of the Sky and I got back into it via WCW at the turn of the millennium.

Anyone else have random things that remained obstinate in the memory from their time spent watching as a kid when most else ended up forgotten?

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

I'd seen a couple of clips on Facebook from OSW talking over shows and found them amusing so searched them on Youtube, big mistake on my behalf. Being a gluton for punishment I listened to 3 or 4 of their reviews with videos, at 1st I though hey everyone has different views and the way these talked was as if it was the 1st ever time watching wrestling. I'm watching their review of the 91 Rumble now and the main idiot ( don't know his name but has the deeper voice ) said the Rockers/Express opener was shit, where do you go from there? this wasnt the 1st time theyve spoke shite either so not going to bother with any more

• Paid Members

I like osw review. I don't always agree with their views or reviews on things but they don't claim to be super knowledgeable and super cereal about it all. For meaningful insight that often mirrors my pov I go for SCG. Osw is more casual fans having a laugh and enjoying the show, which is just fun to hear in a world full of super cereal stuff. 

It was Attitude Era Podcast that put me off with a air of knowledge and superiority without actually backing it up on even basic things.  I gave up on that after a few shows. 

14 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I'd seen a couple of clips on Facebook from OSW talking over shows and found them amusing so searched them on Youtube, big mistake on my behalf. Being a gluton for punishment I listened to 3 or 4 of their reviews with videos, at 1st I though hey everyone has different views and the way these talked was as if it was the 1st ever time watching wrestling. I'm watching their review of the 91 Rumble now and the main idiot ( don't know his name but has the deeper voice ) said the Rockers/Express opener was shit, where do you go from there? this wasnt the 1st time theyve spoke shite either so not going to bother with any more

It’s opinions at the end of the day isn’t it? 

Their later reviews are quite good fun (WCW and TNA) and they’re film reviews are some of their best work. 

I really enjoy OSW, and since they launched their Patreon and started to get episodes out more regularly they've done some really good stuff. I can see why it's not to everyone's taste, and that's fine. 

Attitude Era Podcast went off a cliff towards the end as they just seemed desperate to get the end. Kefin has taken to calling Edge "Eggs" for no apparent reason which he thinks is hilarious. He's the worst part of it, same with his Cinema Swirl podcast. The other lad on that is funnier and much more likeable